Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

Small Problem

I tried to remove FSX and just keep FS9 after uninstalling everthing Scenery and Airplanes and then FSX it rendered my FS9 useless I could not run PMDG 747 loaders VRS F-18 ACM and when I put my FS9 disk in it wanted to completely reinstall even though it was actually still on my drive. I did a restore to yesterday and everything is working again but I still want to delete FSX cause it's just taking up space. does anybody have any suggestions.

I tried to remove FSX and just keep FS9 after uninstalling everthing Scenery and Airplanes and then FSX it rendered my FS9 useless I could not run PMDG 747 loaders VRS F-18 ACM and when I put my FS9 disk in it wanted to completely reinstall even though it was actually still on my drive. I did a restore to yesterday and everything is working again but I still want to delete FSX cause it's just taking up space. does anybody have any suggestions.
Are you using the nocdrun fix for FS9 so that you don't need to insert the CD to use FS9? If so, try making a backup of your entire FS9 folder as it is right now, run the FSX Auto unistall program. When FSX is uninstalled, move the contents of your FS9 backup folder back and, assuming the registry is OK, you shouldn't even need your FS9 folder.

This is a common problem - uninstalling FSX screws up the registry entry for FS9.This free utility from the good folks at Flight1 will allow you to reset the registry entry and hopefully that will correct the problem:http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exeUse it after you have uninstalled FSX to correct the registry entry for FS9.Good luck.

This is a common problem - uninstalling FSX screws up the registry entry for FS9.This free utility from the good folks at Flight1 will allow you to reset the registry entry and hopefully that will correct the problem:http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exeUse it after you have uninstalled FSX to correct the registry entry for FS9.Good luck.
Opa's suggestion is MUCH better than mine -- as usual! D'OH! Didn't even think of that. :-)

Thanks Opa. That I am sure will make life a little easier. I remember that utility but had no idea what it is for. Good to know.

Thanks Opa. That I am sure will make life a little easier. I remember that utility but had no idea what it is for. Good to know.
Also, as habit I like to copy HKLM/Users and HKLM/Software entries for MSFS and/or any application I've installed and store them in a back up folder. It makes it easy to restore applications if something trashes their registry entries. You have the option in regedit to highlight an entry and export it to a reg file, which can be imported into an existing or new registry for that matter. I used this method in a recent pc to pc migration and did not have to install or reconfigure any of my applications other than changing path entries referenced in the .reg files. This method isn't for everyone, but if you're comfortable navigating your way around the registry it saves a ton of time.Regards,John

Also, as habit I like to copy HKLM/Users and HKLM/Software entries for MSFS and/or any application I've installed and store them in a back up folder.
Thanks for this one, John! Very, very useful! And by the way, congratulations on your new system :(EDIT: Speaking of backups... I use xcopy to regularly backup my FS and Scenery to another computer. Goes quick, with the right parameters it just copies the changes that occurred since the last backupRegards,Jure

.....And by the way, congratulations on your new system :( ...Regards,Jure
Had an issue with the new system, after having it about a week, I started getting random BSOD's, at one point nearly taking an hour just to get the thing booted up. I suspect it was a bad motherboard or HD, but I will never know for certain. Apparently I wasn't the only one who'd experienced that with that specific system, and Gateway discontinued it and is using a new MB on its replacement. I am contemplating my next move now, but since I know the specs of the system ran FS9 fabulously and ran FS-X very well, I am pretty comfortable with the choices out there and will replace it soon. I don't hold the problem I had against Gateway--the technology's pretty complex and there's quite a few possible points of failure. Regards,John