Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel_Malloy

Airports Need Testing

Guest Daniel_Malloy

I created scenery packages for Montrose Regional (KMTJ) and Telluride Regional (KTEX) about a year back based on their Master Plans available on the internet. I have been sitting on these files ever since, not wanting to post them up until they can be properly tested so I figured I would post here to see if anyone would be interested in trying them out and letting me know what they think. I have not run into any major bugs except for the terminal building at Montrose, but I would like a second set of eyes before I go posting it for everyone to download. I did that with a mod I created for Swat 4 and I don't relish the thought of continually releasing things that aren't fully finished. If you download it here, just post and let me know that way I can kinda keep track of people's interests in it.Before and After of Telluride Regional AirportKTEX_Comparison.gifBefore and After of Montrose Regional AirportKMTJ_Comparison.gifAaronjaster_mereel_@hotmail.com

Have downloaded and looked at the files in ADE, will fire up the sim later this evening during the college football game to look at them there. I grabbed some background images for both and Montrose look pretty spot on, though the fence could be a little less intrusive. Doesn't look like Telluride matches up as well to the background, at least the existing airport portion, not the work to come. TEX also has a couple of stray parking spots that serve no purpose in the SW corner, but they'll do no harm. Checking AirNav data, rwy 13/31 at MTJ has VASI listed, whereas you have PAPI lights.I'm a stickler for little worthless stuff, so take my comments as you wish.I'll probably post tomorrow morning after some time in the sim. But good to see a nice TEX file, as I've checked out Telluride and it's real estate market, so I'll know where to spend my Lotto winnings. When I win the darn thing, that is...

Guest Daniel_Malloy

Montrose's Master Plan update #5 recomends that the VASI system on runway 13/31 be upgraded to a 4-light PAPI system, hence my change. Should I leave it as a VASI approach so that it matches more realistically with the existing charts (this might be a good compromise between accuracy and useability)? Also, you will notice that there is a tower, but no atc... I didn't want to add a tower frequency and mess things up when trying to play online, but it would be more enjoyable to fly into with a tower in SP and in MP if others are running the same files (but I know how impossible this would be). What is your take on this?As for Telluride, the stray parking spots are for helicopter operations... I didn't want the AI parking any plane there and I didn't want there to be actually 3 helipads, so I just left them as stray parking spots (great catch, btw). Their Master Plan calls for moving the existing taxiways as you can see in the "KTEX_MasterPlan.gif" included in the "Telluride_Airport" folder. Is this what you meant by it not matching up well to the background?This also jogged my memory on something along the lines of this. I forgot the version of Telluride I am currently using for myself does not have the airport grass boundries like all the other default FSX airports do. To me, removing the grass makes it seem more aesthetically pleasing when operating around an area with a small airport as it seems to blend into the environment. It works well with smaller airports, but not so well with larger ones. Do you think this is something I should include in the release version and if so, do you think it would be worthwhile to do the same to Montrose?Telluride_NoBoundries.jpg(BTW, I was running XGraphics and UTX when I took this screenshot)Again, thanks for looking at this for me, your help is much appreciated.Aaron

Working from memory, as my FSX HD bit the dust and the effects are still being learned.First, your start points are off of the runway. Seeing as both fields are like that I have to go with it being planned that way. I've never seen it done that way and don't know if it would affect any installed AI or not.The expansion of KTEX intrudes upon UTX's roads. So either you revise things a little or consider noting the effect in the readme file. People are generally not going to write and say how much they like your work, but they will write and tell you about the roads.And the windsock next to 23 at KTEX could be taken out? There's one sitting mid-field and the other serves as an obstacle for people who fly like I do.When you do release leave the XML file from ADE out of the package(s), as it just serves to confuse the neophytes.Sorry I can't be of more help, as right now I don't know when I'll be back active with FSX. It won't run on the 8 year old laptop I using right now...

Guest Daniel_Malloy

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I've had to take care of other things with classes starting back up.As for the start points, I did that intentionally. I did this so that for multiplayer games won't have people spawning on the runways causing trouble. I don't think VATSIM has this problem, but I know the default FSX multiplayer does. Thankts for mentioning the roads and windsock, I'll make sure to fix these issues. Thanks for all your help on this and sorry about your computer, I hope you get this fixed.Aaron