Sign in to follow this  
Mike...

Unwanted Title And Description Edits

Do the Library Administrators have certain guidelines when it comes to file names and descriptions?I am very particular about my file names (not the zip names) and descriptions, but some administrators more than others seem to arbitrarily change things. Capitalization, punctuation, removing words, removing parentheses, etc... I believe none of the aforementioned would constitute a rule infraction, so why change anything?I uploaded a file called "European Afcad Collection". That was changed to "European AFCAD Collection". I write Afcad, not AFCAD. Is writing Afcad against the rules? If not, why change it?For consistency's sake I uploaded the next file as "North American AFCAD Collection, Part One". That was turned into "North American Collection: Part One". AFCAD was removed, why? Is it because it's already in the Afcad category and therefor doesn't warrant another mention? I can understand that, but then why not remove it from both file names?And what's wrong with a comma? Does that really need to be changed into a colon? So I was wondering what guidelines you guys follow and what I can do to avoid being edited in the future?

Mike...

Guest Gary Buska
Do the Library Administrators have certain guidelines when it comes to file names and descriptions?I am very particular about my file names (not the zip names) and descriptions, but some administrators more than others seem to arbitrarily change things. Capitalization, punctuation, removing words, removing parentheses, etc... I believe none of the aforementioned would constitute a rule infraction, so why change anything?I uploaded a file called "European Afcad Collection". That was changed to "European AFCAD Collection". I write Afcad, not AFCAD. Is writing Afcad against the rules? If not, why change it?For consistency's sake I uploaded the next file as "North American AFCAD Collection, Part One". That was turned into "North American Collection: Part One". AFCAD was removed, why? Is it because it's already in the Afcad category and therefor doesn't warrant another mention? I can understand that, but then why not remove it from both file names?And what's wrong with a comma? Does that really need to be changed into a colon? So I was wondering what guidelines you guys follow and what I can do to avoid being edited in the future?
Hello from AvsimWhen it comes to titles of files we would remove the word AFCD from a file that is going to in the AFCAD category as all of the files in that category are AFCAD files and it is redundant to put it in the title as well. The way most people do this is to use the description area there you can put what ever you want. (within reason)We try to make the name more meaningful and allow users to find it easier. We always notify you when we make a name change if you do not like the name we use just let us know and we well try to honor your request. AS for file names we can not change them if we wanted to. But if you put characters in the name such as ( or a . such as B747(200).usair.zip this will be rejected the reason is the ( and the extra . will cause problems when users go to down load it.If you look closely at the files on your system you will notice that the . is used to signify the end of the name and what comes next is the type of file like BGL TXT and so forth so when you put the extra . in a name it will get confused when it sees the other . before the ZIP I hope I have cleared this issue up if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me or AVSIM I can be reached at gbuska@avsim.com and you can contact the entire library staff at library@avsim.com

I hope I have cleared this issue up
Not really. (Again, I'm not talking about the zip file names.) I must say, I've never received a notification to that extent. And there's still the matter of consistency or lack thereof. Because why remove it from one upload and not the other? And what about the other edits? Why change for example, 28 to twenty-eight? 28 has no relevance, it will not be searched for. So yeah... Meanwhile, I've seen several duplicate files being approved in the last week or so, not to mention some very difficult to read and understand English. (No offense, English isn't my first language either.) So I'm just wondering what you guys are thinking when you change commas into colons, etc... :(

Mike...

Guest Gary Buska
Not really. (Again, I'm not talking about the zip file names.) I must say, I've never received a notification to that extent. And there's still the matter of consistency or lack thereof. Because why remove it from one upload and not the other? And what about the other edits? Why change for example, 28 to twenty-eight? 28 has no relevance, it will not be searched for. So yeah... Meanwhile, I've seen several duplicate files being approved in the last week or so, not to mention some very difficult to read and understand English. (No offense, English isn't my first language either.) So I'm just wondering what you guys are thinking when you change commas into colons, etc... :(
It is a policy of AVSIM that if we change the title or category of your upload to notify you of the change as for the other edits that is a preference of the library manager the word twenty-eight just looks better than the number 28. As for my self it would depend on how the sentence was worded, but the bottom line is if we change anything in one of your files and you do not like the change all you have to do is to let us know we are reasonable, as long as what you want we can fix. We are unable to make live edits of any ZIP file. We get tons of request from users wanting us to change something in the readme file. That is something we can not do. Every one here are volunteers as for duplicate files we have no way if a file is a duplicate of another file. It is up to the user if a upload is to replace a file already in the system. That is the purpose of the Notes to Library Managers at the bottom. :(

I uploaded a file called "European Afcad Collection". That was changed to "European AFCAD Collection". I write Afcad, not AFCAD. Is writing Afcad against the rules? If not, why change it?
To answer this question, the proper name of the program as it was downloaded is called AFCAD. I've never seen anybody call it Afcad, and to be honest, it would confuse me for about two and a half seconds if I saw AFCAD referred to as Afcad.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Mike, I reviewed, edited, and approved your North American AFCAD file. At the end of the day it all boils down to these two words--discretion and preference (this I personally harp to my very talented staff). I must say I'm extremely thorough with grammar, procedure, and the professional look of a file I process; after all, it shows the pride I take in helping this wonderful community.Also, I might add... In English, any number below 100 should technically be spelled out. A little close/over the edge? Possibly, but I just can't help the memories of getting harped on by my English Composition teachers reference these small things! :(

To answer this question, the proper name of the program as it was downloaded is called AFCAD. I've never seen anybody call it Afcad, and to be honest, it would confuse me for about two and a half seconds if I saw AFCAD referred to as Afcad.
Yeah, but we're not talking about that program. My airport facility data files (:() or whatever weren't even touched by AFCAD, I use AFX. AFCAD has become the name for the files too and in light of that, I think it's perfectly fine to write it as Afcad. And I'll continue to do so.
In English, any number below 100 should technically be spelled out. A little close/over the edge?
Over. :(I'm of the opinion that if there's nothing wrong with a file rule-wise, it shouldn't be changed in any way.Think I'll just add a note next time "Do not edit!". :(

Mike...

Also, I might add... In English, any number below 100 should technically be spelled out. A little close/over the edge? Possibly, but I just can't help the memories of getting harped on by my English Composition teachers reference these small things! :(
This isn't a universal rule. Many authorities (I'd guess the majority) say only spell out numbers from one to ten - The UK Times newspaper for one. I think your English composition teacher may have been over prescriptive.

Yeah, but we're not talking about that program. My airport facility data files (:() or whatever weren't even touched by AFCAD, I use AFX. AFCAD has become the name for the files too and in light of that, I think it's perfectly fine to write it as Afcad. And I'll continue to do so.Over. :(I'm of the opinion that if there's nothing wrong with a file rule-wise, it shouldn't be changed in any way.Think I'll just add a note next time "Do not edit!". :(
In summation, I think it's safe to say I'm a big fan of efficiency and uniformity when it comes to the AVSIM File Library (or any other file system I manage--actual or electronic). With regards to that, I am thinking of realizing some type of format guideline. Reference the below example list of repaint additions for the day--imagine them showing on the front page.FS2004 RepaintsUnited Airlines Boeing 757-300UAL B757United Boeing 753etcetcWithout any editing, this is what actually reduces search functionality as well. You won't find repaint UAL B753 when you search "United Airlines" nor "Boeing 757."
This isn't a universal rule. Many authorities (I'd guess the majority) say only spell out numbers from one to ten - The UK Times newspaper for one. I think your English composition teacher may have been over prescriptive.
Perhaps :)