Sign in to follow this  
Guest SadisticRabbit

3rd Monitor, Will It Impact Fps?

Guest SadisticRabbit

Hey Guys,Been running FSX with two monitors for a while now. FPS is ok and I'm happy. The 2 monitors run of my PCIe graphics card. One shows the normal screen, the second shows a selection of instruments. I am thinking about adding a PCI grapics card and a third monitor for FSCommander. This would not be rendering any in game content. Would this have an impact on FPS in game? e.g would the slower PCI card drag down the FSX FPS?Any help appreciated.

If you are running an independent application, then I doubt it will affect it much if your processor can handle it. Also if you are adding another GFX card to support the 3rd monitor I think you are in the clear, since it would be a completely independent card. In the FSX settings you can pick which card fsx is outputting from. I personally am deathly afraid of getting a second monitor because my FSX fps are awful (and I have a decent pc). But in your case it'll be okay.

Hey Guys,Been running FSX with two monitors for a while now. FPS is ok and I'm happy. The 2 monitors run of my PCIe graphics card. One shows the normal screen, the second shows a selection of instruments. I am thinking about adding a PCI grapics card and a third monitor for FSCommander. This would not be rendering any in game content. Would this have an impact on FPS in game? e.g would the slower PCI card drag down the FSX FPS?Any help appreciated.
Like the man says - it'll depend upon your processor. Best scenario would be having a Core2Duo or quad, as then you can assign FSCommander to one of those other cores.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hello, I use 3 monitors with my (old) system XP SP3. No major Fps impact. I use window mode FSX SP2.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

To the OP.. adding an extra card and monitor to your current computer will have effect on your overall fsx performance yes. It's an extra feed, and fsx is cpu bound, it would have been different if it was gpu bound. How much effect it will have, depends on how powerful your proccesor is, how much processes you have running etc. Trying is knowing i guess.. don't you know someone who can borrow you their card for a moment to try before making expenses?I'm running it on 3 Monitors, but it's devided on 2 pc's. On my main machine, I run a 24 inch and a 22 inch monitor (soon to be replaced by another 24 inch) in widescreen view. I only recently added this monitor, after i installed a e8400 and easily clocked it to 3.6 on air (with a great thermalright cooler on top). I gotta tell you.. there's no going back to one screen after you experienced this wideview. At least, that's how it is for me. I was baffled though, that I had to re-install my complete FSX under XP because Vista/Nvidia (i have ultimate64) doesn't support dualview anymore (=running fsx on 2 monitors as one view). I'm really very happy with the wideview, so happy that my wife is afraid that my face with rip apart from the stupid wide grin i have while flying... and the performance impact wasn't as big as I hoped for either, I lost maybe 4-5 frames. I have to say though, that my pc was very stable and running fsx quite fast and without stutters, before I even tried this. Oh and I'm running this machine on one 8800GTX, most sliders are happily on the right side most of the time.The second machine with the 3rd monitor is connected via FSUIPC/WideFS/Simconnect and runs all my other stuff like ASA, FSCommander, RadarContact etc etc-- to lower the load on my main machine. It's also possible to connect this 2nd machine with Wideview, and be able to get more FSX views on the 3rd monitor, but that needs a new install again on this computer too and run synchronized via FSUIPC with the main machine. A great option to have but I'm not quite certain yet if I want, and need a 3rd view.Gert

ran out of space to type lol..Just want to add, that the monitors I currently use for my main FSX view are both widescreens, so it's like some super widescreen view now. Also with the WideViewAspect=True in the FSX.cfg, you get a amazing true to life wideview of the (in many planes) complete front cockpit view.. and than some more., without having to zoom out and all very clear and readable. Be warned, there's no turning back after you try this. :( Cheers!

Just wondering if anyone is using the new multi-monitor technology from Nvidia and how this affects frame rates. I have a 30" monitor now and thinking about getting another one.
I just got into a three monitor setup recently, Jim. I spent up big on a new rig with a Core i7 940, and dual GTX 280 cards in SLI configuration because I saw what two monitors could do on my old 8800 GTX and I wanted to try a third. Let me say that three monitors gives FSX an amazing look and feel, and I thoroughly recommend it if you can afford the hardware. Unfortunately there is a big frame rate hit as you add each view one by one. I'm interesting in a really wide VC view so I undock additional VC views and drag them to the other monitors. While I can start a session on one monitor at say 100 FPS, by the time I've added the thrid monitor this will have dropped to about 30 FPS which is tolerable, but a 70 FPS loss just for a super wide VC is a steep asking price!I've got a range of display setting config files designed to give me a range of frame rates for my different aircraft. I find with my PMDG 747 it's not practical to use three monitors as frame rates are usually a lot less than 10, but all my other aircraft will work with three monitors if I tailor the display settings to suit them.A three monitor wide VC is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in FSX. You could get the effect with a TH2G setup, but I figured I'd need the extra power of a dual SLI and a new i7 chip anyway, so what the heck! Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Hi,That's why I use Widescreen Monitors. 2 24" WS is capable of a as wide view as a triplehead2go which has a max res of 3840 x 1024 (and with 3 monitors).I do what the triplehead2go does, with 2 WS monitors, and without spending several 100 dollars.Cheers!

Guest firehawk44
I just got into a three monitor setup recently, Jim. I spent up big on a new rig with a Core i7 940, and dual GTX 280 cards in SLI configuration because I saw what two monitors could do on my old 8800 GTX and I wanted to try a third. Let me say that three monitors gives FSX an amazing look and feel, and I thoroughly recommend it if you can afford the hardware. Unfortunately there is a big frame rate hit as you add each view one by one. I'm interesting in a really wide VC view so I undock additional VC views and drag them to the other monitors. While I can start a session on one monitor at say 100 FPS, by the time I've added the thrid monitor this will have dropped to about 30 FPS which is tolerable, but a 70 FPS loss just for a super wide VC is a steep asking price!I've got a range of display setting config files designed to give me a range of frame rates for my different aircraft. I find with my PMDG 747 it's not practical to use three monitors as frame rates are usually a lot less than 10, but all my other aircraft will work with three monitors if I tailor the display settings to suit them.A three monitor wide VC is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in FSX. You could get the effect with a TH2G setup, but I figured I'd need the extra power of a dual SLI and a new i7 chip anyway, so what the heck! Mike.
That looks like an awesome setup Mike. I assume you are using the Nvidia 180 drivers which allows you to set up multi-monitors and it is working well (or are you using Wideview?)? Before FSX was released, I saw a two-30" monitor setup that the Microsoft ACES Team had set up to show off the upcoming FSX (at the AVSIM Conf at Dulles). It appeared to run very smoothly and that was over 2 years ago (I think) with computer systems and drivers not as good as they are today and FSX w/o any SP's. It did crash a couple of times though. I'm trying to stay away from any TH2G setup as I already have a 30" monitor and just need to purchase one more to satisfy my ego. My system is starting to age but I do have the two 8800GTX w/768MB of memory so I think I'm ready.Best regards,Jim

I'm using the 180.84 drivers which are still in Beta I believe, but are not giving me any trouble so far.Two years is a long time to develop new technology. I expect a multi monitor setup was still pretty much a dream to devs then, but with the dual video ports on most graphics cards now, and with SLI becoming affordable multi monitor setups look like becoming the new big deal for gamers. I guess developers always have to keep an eye on the technological horizon.The 8800 GTX is a great card which will be good for a while yet. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the result.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest SadisticRabbit

Hey Guys,Thanks for all the answers. It appears some think it will impact and some don't :DI am not planning on running any part of the FSX game on the third monitor, it will be for FSCommander only. I am guessing that because of this fact it won't impact FPS!?!?!I already have a three monitor setup, but the third monitor is via a 2nd PC and WideFS/FSUIPC but I am finding exporting flight plans from FSCommander on the second PC to be a pain in the bum because of having to remap drives and then drill down the the right directory. That's why I want it on the same PC. Might be easier just to live with the current setup :D

I believe what they told you was that if you run an app other than FS, and you have a dual core, then assign a core to the app and it wont affect your FS FPS.And they told you that if you have a fast enough processor and you by some chance wanted to run FS as a third view, then it depends on how fast your processor is. Nothing new there is it? Faster processor=less loss of FPS.Because I have an older AGP system with a PCI card AND I run the FS views on 3 monitors, my FPS loss is about 1/3 each time I open and then resize a new window. And it does depend on the size of your new window. You should very carefully consider the advantage of running extra monitors. It makes life very easy and the immersion factor goes up greatly.

Hey Guys,Thanks for all the answers. It appears some think it will impact and some don't :DI am not planning on running any part of the FSX game on the third monitor, it will be for FSCommander only. I am guessing that because of this fact it won't impact FPS!?!?!I already have a three monitor setup, but the third monitor is via a 2nd PC and WideFS/FSUIPC but I am finding exporting flight plans from FSCommander on the second PC to be a pain in the bum because of having to remap drives and then drill down the the right directory. That's why I want it on the same PC. Might be easier just to live with the current setup :D

Good morning:I am running exactly what you describe and see no framerate hit. As long as they are programs like FSCommander or FSNav, I see no FPS effect. In fact, I have used four monitors in this configuration with a secondary PCI video card for the third and fourth monitors. Integral windows (i.e. like the GPS, Throttle Quadrants, Spot View) and the like are another matter and may bring FPS to its knees if they are put on the monitors off of the secondary card. My system specs. are attached below. I wouldn't fly any other way with the exception of possibly trying the secondary computer bit.I have intended to try a second computer with Peter Dowsons's WideFS for years as I have my last computer still sitting on a shelf in the garage, but so far have never figured out what I would put on it for FS except for FSCommander or FSNav. They run so well on the configuration you describe that I have never felt that it would be a significant advantage. If I understand correctly, the possibility of adding Active Sky Advanced in this manner might change this. So far, I have not purchased Active SkyI would be interested in knowing what programs others use on their secondary computer in such a configuration (for fs). I may make a separate post regarding that question.Good luck:RTHASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21

I already have a three monitor setup, but the third monitor is via a 2nd PC and WideFS/FSUIPC but I am finding exporting flight plans from FSCommander on the second PC to be a pain in the bum because of having to remap drives and then drill down the the right directory. That's why I want it on the same PC.
Hi,Why don't you just install FSCommander on both your main FSX AND your networked PC? I have it installed like that, and I can't imagine any (legal) issues with this, as FSCommander supports it running in a network via WifeFS. This is the easiest because, every time you install new airports and update nav files, you have to re-run and rebuild your databases-- now just map your networked drive to where FSC is installed, and copy from your FSX PC-- to your networked PC. And you'll be updated. That way you can build your flightplan on your main FSX PC too, then copy it to your networked PC (if you want the flightplan shown in FSC)-- and after that run FSC on your networked PC. I'm not familiar with FSC network-export problems as I use FSBuild (again too on the networked PC via WideFS, works like a dream and installs flightplans in one go, from exporting to FSC, PMDG, LvlD, FSX etc).Gert