Sign in to follow this  

Silly ATC, giving me a visual approach in 2 mile vis?

Hi,I just flew from KBWI to KACK. I was given the visual approach to runway 6. The visibility was about 2 miles. I would think that's not a correct thing for the ATC to do to you, since when it asked me to report the runway in sight I was in clouds! It's not the first time it's happened to me. Is this a bug? If so, can I do something to fix it? Thanks.Tim Dobrowolsky

There is not an ILS 6 at KACK. There is an ILS 24 but if runway 6 was in use, they would give you the visual regardless of WX. There is a Localizer approach to Rwy 6 but MS ATC can only handle ILS approaches. If you want more realistc ATC prior to FSCOF coming out, Radar Conatact is the way to go.

Guest DanWalloch

Ah.....special vfr......the faa's dumbest rule.

LOLThanks for the information! I've been hearing alot about Radar Contact here and there. Maybe it's time to take a look.

Er..why?? Special VFR being dumb I mean

Guest CYOW_pilot

Actually, I find SVFR a useful thing (at least up here in Canada), as long as it is not abused.It is also important to note that a visual approach is not the same as VFR. A visual approach is something an aircraft on an IFR flight plan does but it requires VMC weather conditions. I don't know what the FAA rules are (I presume they are similar) but in Canada it requires a ceiling 500 ft above the min vectoring altitude and 3 miles vis. The primary advantage of doing/accepting visual approaches is that it speeds up the arrival process and allows for less in-trail separation between the aircraft.Kevin in CYOW

Plus here's a scenario. Heathrow airport has obviously got class A airspace completely surrounding it. There's a little airfield called Denham just inside this airspace. How are you supposed to get there without SVFR?

Hi Kevin,Funny you should mention this...A few weeks ago, we took a C172 from London to Ottawa, and back again. The visibility for the trip up wasn't great....we could see MAYBE 5 miles. The visibility for the trip home, was getting progressively worse. If it weren't for SVFR, we would not have landed in London, as the fog was setting in, and fast. The flight club in London was almost done closing it's doors as we pulled up, figuring we got stuck somewhere else overnight cuz of the low visibility.In this case, we were glad for SVFR :-)Jay

Special VFR can be useful at times. The airport I usually fly out of tends to fog up since it is right on the water, yet 5 miles away it will be clear as can be. If you have 1 mile visibilty and can stay clear of clouds, you can take off VFR with an ATC clearance to get out of the airport area and into the better weather. You must have an instrument rating in order to get a Special VFR at night. I've seen people use it quite a bit but I admit to have never done it. I just file IFR!!