Sign in to follow this  
Guest snnib

Sound Blaster 5.1 Probs With Vista 64 Bit

Guest snnib

Hi there, I have just installed Vista 64bit OS but now I cannot get it to see my Sound Blaster 5.1 card. It works OK in XP and Vista 32bit.Will I have to get a better sound card or is there a magic trick that I should no about?I have searched on the web but to no avail. There are many people also having the same probs not only Vista 64 but XP 64 bit also.When I try to install the driver it tells me that it cannot find soundblaster hardware. Very strange.I wonder if any of you good people out there could kindly help me. Flightsim is rather dull with no sound!!! regards RichardGigabyte Model EP35-DS3R Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHzMemory (RAM) 4.00 GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

When you say Soundblaster 5.1, are you talking about an X-fi card? An Audigy? or the old Soundblaster from years ago? If it is the old one, I'd hazard a guess that there are no 64 bit drivers for it but again, this would only be a guess. I looked in there support section for just a soundblaster 5.1 but they only go as far back as the Audigy. You can also try looking here.www.driverguide.com I'm currently running an x-fi Gamer 5.1 with no issues in 64 bit Vista. It was pretty cheap when I bought it.Larry

Guest snnib

Hi Larry, thanks for your help. The card is Creative SB0680 OEM Sound Blaster 5.1 thats all that is on the disk so me thinks its from the dark ages.The strange thing is when using Vista 32, when I got updates from MS one of the updates was the correct Creative sound card driver. So I thought that the same would happen when I installed the 64 bitOS. I really do not want to get a expensive card because all it will do is work in FS9 and FSX. Not into the music bit.Anyway once again thank you.Richard

Hi Larry, thanks for your help. The card is Creative SB0680 OEM Sound Blaster 5.1 thats all that is on the disk so me thinks its from the dark ages.The strange thing is when using Vista 32, when I got updates from MS one of the updates was the correct Creative sound card driver. So I thought that the same would happen when I installed the 64 bitOS. I really do not want to get a expensive card because all it will do is work in FS9 and FSX. Not into the music bit.Anyway once again thank you.Richard
That would appear to be a SB Live! card and as such there is no official driver support for Vista. You are lucky to have the XP driver work in Vista32, You will find no drivers for Vista x64. X-Fi cards are now cheap, if you wish to use Vista X64 you should consider the purchase of a new card if you need sound.

Or just use the onboard sound....it's probably decent since you have a newer PC

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |