Sign in to follow this  
phrgflyer

Library Problems

I have read the post provided by the AVSIM Library staff concerning server workloads and peak user activity. Genlemen, I have to disagree with your assessment of the current situation. AVSIM has gradually grown over the years and there are certainly more people using the library services.However, I don't believe the number of users have suddenly grown to the point of straining the servers. The current situation has only been going on in the past 2 or 3 weeks. It's getting so bad that each single access attempt may take 10 or more retries before getting the download screen. This happens at all times during the day - not just the peak times shown on the graphs provided here.Something has changed in either the server hardware or software or both. Please, give us back our wonderful service.fb

HelloSame problem here and limited only to AVSIM. One download will work fine and within seconds the next won't work at all -- nothing but error messages -- regardless of the time of day or download.Aspen31

Guest sssummer

Well, maybe its a combination of increased bandwidth the last few days, coupled with a change. I to have noticed that it usually takes several tries to get a file, usually proceeded with the message "server too busy". However, it does seem like that when I do connect with the file during peek times, the download is faster than at normal peek loads. For instance, previously I would almost always connect, but the download was at between 5-20k very slow (during peek times). Now, it is difficult to connect, but when I do, the download is twice as fast (20-50k during peak times). Off hours its still fast 300-350k for me. Just an educated guess, but maybe they limited the number of users, which has made it difficult to connect during peak times, but with less users, the speeds are a little faster. Just my analysis, not based on any facts.

Exactly. Download speeds have not changed appreciably. It is faster during non-peak hours and slower during peak hours. That is what one would expect.However, as I said, it is access to the file(s) that is the problem. It doesn't matter if your download speed is 1000kb/sec - if you have repeat the attempts to gain access to the file then download speeds hardly matter.Right now (08:40 CST Jan 16) it's taking me more than 10 attempts to gain access to a file download link.fb

Guest jsbryner

Not to pile on here, as I think AVSIM has been second to none over the years with the accessibility to the library (though the Search is still an Achilles heel), but of late I am regularly experiencing the library performance / access issue as well. I have the AVSIM "What's new" link (http://library.avsim.net/whatsnew.php?Sort=Name) on my iGoogle home page and of late (last several weeks) I regularly timeout or wait a loooooooooooooong time for a response when I click on that link or click on the Library link on AVSIM's home page. I have not seen or cannot find anything posted by the AVSIM team addressing these recent problems, or what is being or going to be done, but I can say the heretofore flawlessly responsive AVSIM library is becoming a hit or miss experience simply to get access let alone sporadic download experience.In the meantime, we'll just keep "hitting and missing" on access and performance....jsb

I have tried to download several times today and each time I get a message to login to the FTP server. when I try to log in I get sent to a http 404 error screenThis has only started today. and that was early in the AM like 0730 EST.I sent an email to the library staff and have not received anything in response as of yet.Harry

Harry Nelson