Sign in to follow this  
Lennard78

Vista Home Premium No Speech Recognition...(!)

Hello,I am wondering how/whether people with Vista Home Premium are able to use VoxATC. For me VoxATCX is unusable at the moment, it turns out, because I keep getting the message that I should have a US English compatible speech recognizer. I thought it was a bug on my system, but it seems not. I have asked Microsoft support today, and they have explained to me that Vista Home Premium (at least the Dutch version) has no speech recognizer built in! Speech recognition seems to be a feature of Vista Ultimate, and good old XP. So VoxATC is actually unusable for Home Premium users unless they are looking for some third-party speech recognition add-ons. I did not know this beforehand. Are there any other people with Vista Home Premium, and how do they solve it? Are there any suggestions for a (preferably freeware) speech engine?Thanks for your answer(s)!Lennard

Lennard, I'm afraid you might be out of luck with the Dutch version of Vista. Per MS documentation all versions of Vista in English, German, French, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese come with the speech recognition and text to speech software included. Apparently the speech feature is not available for the remaining Vista language versions. For more info: http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/w...sta/speech.aspx

I am not running Vista... and if I was it would be US English so once again wouldn't be able to directly help. But I did run across this thread on another forum regarding installing the voice recognition on a Danish install of Vista: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/3409...e-language.htmlReport back if it was helpful and also if you were unable to get it to work, I am hoping for you getting it working.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I am not running Vista... and if I was it would be US English so once again wouldn't be able to directly help. But I did run across this thread on another forum regarding installing the voice recognition on a Danish install of Vista: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/3409...e-language.htmlReport back if it was helpful and also if you were unable to get it to work, I am hoping for you getting it working.
Dear Zane,Thank you very much for your answer and the link and my apologies for responding late. I checked this thread but unfortunately it ends without an answer for the problem that I (and the other person on that forum) has. I think, as Dbrucem says, I am quite out of luck here, being Dutch...:-( (first time it shows so directly, actually:-)) I will continue looking for possible ways to solve this and will post if I come up with something, hopefully.....Lennard

Guest Lion

Hello Lennard,I ran into this problem almost two years ago as I wanted to start Beta testing for VoxATC using the Vista platform. If you have a Dutch Vista Ultimate you can install an english language package and then you will also have the (english) speech reqognition, you will get an english desktop! I have searched a lot to get it to work with the Premium version but I have never found a solution, even the French Premium version doesn't work because you can't install an language package on it (only the Business, Ultimate and Enterprise version of Vista supports the Multilingual User Interface Pack!), there's a tread somewhere on this forum on it, it will simply not work with the Dutch Vista Premium,Lion VoxATC Beta tester Holland

Hello Lennard,I ran into this problem almost two years ago as I wanted to start Beta testing for VoxATC using the Vista platform. If you have a Dutch Vista Ultimate you can install an english language package and then you will also have the (english) speech reqognition, you will get an english desktop! I have searched a lot to get it to work with the Premium version but I have never found a solution, even the French Premium version doesn't work because you can't install an language package on it (only the Business, Ultimate and Enterprise version of Vista supports the Multilingual User Interface Pack!), there's a tread somewhere on this forum on it, it will simply not work with the Dutch Vista Premium,Lion VoxATC Beta tester Holland
Hoi Lion,Yes it is quite crazy - if I would have known this before, I would never have chosen for a Dutch version. But do you mean that even when you change to English (with an English desktop), you cannot get the speech engine to work? I ask this, because as per Jean-Paul's suggestion (http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=239730) I have downloaded this Vistalizator tool, and indeed I now have an English desktop which I do not mind. It does say in the Control Panel that I have the English Speech Recognizer now, and correctly configured. I was very hopeful, but again VoxATCX keeps giving me the error message that no US English compatible speech engine is used....Lennard

I feel for you both. This is the kind of thing you really need to harp on Microsoft for. It is unacceptable to have this limitation just because you purchased the Dutch language version of Vista and there is no logical excuse that you are unable to install the speech recognition engine. Poor form there Microsoft, this really needs to be fixed.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Lion

Hi Lennard,I'm running Ultimate now and that works fine, I got the speech recognition engine in the control panel and VoxATC works fine for almost two years now. This Vistalizator tool wasn't there 20 months ago so I installed Ultimate! It looks like this tool should be the solution. A couple of questions: is the 'train profile...' working fine in the 'speech Properties' window? (Control panel-speech Recognition Options-Advanced speech options-Train profile) Is the microphone working ok

Hi Lennard,I'm running Ultimate now and that works fine, I got the speech recognition engine in the control panel and VoxATC works fine for almost two years now. This Vistalizator tool wasn't there 20 months ago so I installed Ultimate! It looks like this tool should be the solution. A couple of questions: is the 'train profile...' working fine in the 'speech Properties' window? (Control panel-speech Recognition Options-Advanced speech options-Train profile) Is the microphone working ok

Guest Lion

There seems to be a problem with Vistalizator and Vista 64. Voice recognition is set up, but VoxATC can't seem to use it. This almost certainly a 64/32 issue that Vistalizator can't quite handle. VoxATC runs as a 32 bit app on Vista 64 for various compatibility reasons.With many thanks to Tegwyn West for his ever great support! Lion VoxATC Beta tester Holland