Sign in to follow this  

Saitek X45 Joystick with HOTAS.

Guest Tim13

I know that a lot of people use this joystick/HOTAS for FS and other combat flight sims, and for $79.99 at most US retail outlets it provides pretty good bang for the buck. When you consider that it is very programmable, and the HOTAS has a friction adjustment and mouse pointer built in, you can't beat the price.But, until 04-12-03, Compusa stores have it on sale for $49.99. You get a $10.00 USD instant savings, and then there is a $20.00 USD mail in rebate, so for 50 bucks you can't go wrong.Tim13

Guest Milamber

Word to the wise....If you are running XP you probably will not be able to use the programming functions. I just bought this stick and tried it. I even downloaded the latest drivers which 'claims' to be compatible with XP but it refuses to install the advanced drivers which is needed for the programability. Without it you are just stuck with the buttons as you can program them in your program. Also this means that the mode switch just functions as three buttons and not as an acutal mode switch. Also it seems to have done something to my trackball (Logitech Cordless Trackman). Ever since I installed the basic drivers for the stick the mouse freezes after the screensaver or screenblanker comes on. I have also not received one word back from their tech support. I will be taking mine back (Got it at Best Buy).

If you guys are willing to do a little legwork, there are much better drivers for the X45 that do allow for advanced programming capabilities. The driver I'm referring to is by Dhauzimmer, and they work well with the HazardScript programming interface. You can find out more (and indeed everything you ever wanted to know about Saitek sticks) at http://saitekhelp.simhq.com/ which is an unofficial support site, but very comprehensive.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

As an alternative to returning the stick, just delete the programming software and use the XP driver. That will solve the problem with the mouse. For what it is worth, it doesn't like Microsoft keyboards and mice either.The Stick itself is just great.Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

Guest Milamber

Problem is that I have deleted the software and just used the basic driver (The advanced driver never installed right like I said) and it still caused my mouse problems. I have even unistalled the drivers and unplugged the stick totally but I stll have the problem. So I think there is still some residuals that did not unistall. Anyway to get rid of the drivers totally? I may end up having to re-install windows which is a major pain in the a#@....Oh and I did try those 3rd party driver's mentioned above, but for some reason the throttle axis disappeared...In FS the throttle was being controlled by the Dial....Go figure!

There was just a driver file on their site (1.7, I think) which is what I'm using. Why not do a search for anything Saitek and see if something was left on your machine. The other thing that perhaps you could try would be to uninstall and then re-install your mouse software.Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

Guest Milamber

I haven't done the search yet but I already did uninstall and reinstall the mouse drivers...No change. I may also look into just the driver file you said is on their site. I can't recall seeing that...I downloaded the one that they claimed was for XP and included everything. I think that 3rd party driver would probably be the best way to go since you can use that programming script but like I said it did not recognize the throttle axis...Could be some conflict with the Saitek drivers that don't uninstall all the way.

Guest Milamber

I just re-looked on the website and the only driver I see for XP is the one I downloaded...IE "Windows 2000/XP SD2.9.1.11 full version (SST Programming Software)"Don't see the one you were talking about.

Guest Tim13

Doesn't the Saitek software install a "virtual mouse" on the computer that is used by the mouse pointer on the throttle? Did you check your hardware profile to see if it's still there? If it is, disable it, and then try your physical mouse.It's work a shot.Tim13

Guest Milamber

Actually I did check that and there were no entries...So the problem lies with 'transparent' items....IE files left by the uninstall....I actually fixed the problem....When I first was doing the drivers I did not know about the NukeUSB and NukeBUS procedure. So I reinstalled from the CD and then did that procedure THEN uninstalled the software....That worked...My mouse finally works right. Now all I have to do is try to find a good diver combination for the stick :) PS. I also searched in the Windows directory for sai*.* and found several files left there even AFTER the above procedure so I manually deleted those...Just for the information of anybody that gets this problem :)

Guest Tim13

I'm glad to hear that you solved the problem, especially since I went out today and picked up one of the sticks. Right now I have an 8 year old CH F-16 CombatStick that works OK, but it's time for a change. I'm really after the separate throttle funcionality of the Saitek, along with the ability to program add'l buttons and especially the hat switches.Tim13

Glad you got it solved. I had thought that I still had that interim driver, but turns out that I did not; I remember that WinXP add/remove gave me the option of removing either the driver or the programming software and removing the latter solved my mouse/keyboard problem.Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

Guest Milamber

Unfortunately it seems I spoke too soon...The problem came back, although think it only happens if I have the mouse plugged into the USB port and not the PS2 port. So I might just have to use the USB to PS2 adapter.

Guest Milamber

Well I was premature about my problem being fixed...And remember that if you run XP you will have problems as far as the programming is concerned...There is the 3rd party driver you can try and I have heard about a beta driver from Saitek that I might try out, but so far the 'official' drivers from Saitek do not work with XP as far as programability is concerned.

The aforementioned Beta drivers will do the trick. I've been running a Saitek for quite a while in XP with zero problems on those drivers and love the programmability. The Saitek stick is one of the best out there (IMHO),