Sign in to follow this  
Guest JNS

Memtest86 Question

Guest JNS

Hi. I'm trying to find out which version of Memtest86 I should get for my Asus P6T w/DDR3 1600 running Vista 64. Also, where is the best place to download this? Thanks,Jeff

Hi. I'm trying to find out which version of Memtest86 I should get for my Asus P6T w/DDR3 1600 running Vista 64. Also, where is the best place to download this? Thanks,Jeff
There's only one memtest86. You can downloaded it from www.memtest86.com

Guest Nick_N
There's only one memtest86. You can downloaded it from www.memtest86.com
Im sorry to tell you this but that version of memtest is old and outdated and has been for OVER a year v3.4 (2/Aug/2007) It has been known to display FALSE errors in P35/x38/x48/P45 systems for a very long timeTHIS IS THE CORRECT PLACE TO GET THE RIGHT VERSION OF MEMTEST FOR NEWER SYSTEMS:http://www.memtest.org/Enhancements in v2.10 : Added support for Intel Core i7 (Nehalem) CPUv2.10 or 2.11 is the most recent versions and should be the ones used for i7

Damn Nick your always one step ahead of the rest of us.......... :(

:( Damn Nick your always one step ahead of the rest of us.......... :(

Ooops...double, triple, quadruple post. What the heck just happened!!!

Im sorry to tell you this but that version of memtest is old and outdated and has been for OVER a year v3.4 (2/Aug/2007) It has been known to display FALSE errors in P35/x38/x48/P45 systems for a very long timeTHIS IS THE CORRECT PLACE TO GET THE RIGHT VERSION OF MEMTEST FOR NEWER SYSTEMS:http://www.memtest.org/Enhancements in v2.10 : Added support for Intel Core i7 (Nehalem) CPUv2.10 or 2.11 is the most recent versions and should be the ones used for i7
Wow I haven't even known about the new version all this time. I'm stunned really. :(

Guest Nick_N
I'm usually about a year ahead of most of you guys... why would this be any different? :(EDIT:I guees while I am at it I better also postCPUz for i7 MUST BE 1.49 or above: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_149.zipOCCT is in BETA for better and correct support: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...p;postcount=206REALTEMP 2.90 is in BETA for i7 and to date is the only one I know of that works with i7 correctly: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794...ealTempBeta.zipKeep in mind, with the exception of CPUz everything is still in BETA so bugs may exist

v2.10 or 2.11 is the most recent versions and should be the ones used for i7
Question about this - is the only correct way to run memtest via a floppy on bootup or what? I have the .exe version (which I can't locate on that site, well the newer version I should say)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest JNS

Thanks, Nick. Your reply confirmed I wasn't going crazy. I kept thinking I'd seen version 2.11 mentioned somewhere, but when I went to a site for Memtest I saw the v3.4 and the date on it and that's what prompted my original question.Jeff

Guest Nick_N
Question about this - is the only correct way to run memtest via a floppy on bootup or what? I have the .exe version (which I can't locate on that site, well the newer version I should say)
yepits the ONLY way... either floppy or bootable CD burn from ISOput the disk in and reboot the system allowing MEMTEST to boot in DOSNOTE: ALL MEMORY COMPANIES HAVE NOTED NEWER MOTHERBOARDS SHOULD DISABLE THE FEATURE USB LEGACY SUPPORT IN THE BIOS BEFORE RUNNING MEMTESTIf you use a USB keyboard then that means you wont have any keyboard support in MEMTEST which you really do not need anyway since the test runs automatically on program bootIts ALWAYS BEST to allow MEMTEST to run through 5 complete tests (8-9 passes per test) which can take anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on the system. If any RED shows up then and you do not have keboard support with USB disabled you can exit by manual reboot of the power button to make BIOS changes in settings and try the test again.Do not forget to ENABLE the USB LEGACY SUPPORT feature when finished

Nick, no Memtest for x64 plateforms?Vista x64 doesn't want to open the file.Thx!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Nick_N
Nick, no Memtest for x64 plateforms?Vista x64 doesn't want to open the file.Thx!
you are trying to make a floppy.. wont work in x64 because the floppy tool is 16bit. No 16bit application will run in a 64bit environment DavidSo you either have to use a 32bit system to make the floppy from the downloaded file or use the ISO and burn a CD using Nero or other software in the 64bit OSI know its a pain.. just something we x64 users must endureand GET RID OF THE BUG!!!! DANG IT I have put more fingerprints on my screen from your posts than any other reason! :(Very sorry about the troubles over there.. I hope you are safe and out of harms way