Sign in to follow this  
stabell

Frustrated. Please Tell Me How-to.

Upgraded from AS6-5 to ASA, FS9FSUIPC newest, unregistered.What I am trying to do is something I thought would be easy, but it isn't. Read manual, forums, etc.Start FS9 with a flight that has "clear all weather" in it. Aircraft at LIMC, Italy.Weather is clear, visibility is as we know, dreadfully long at higher altitudes.The computer is used only as a client, and is slewed by the server, so the winds are of no importance, of course.With server not on, just the client, I am starting ASA.After a while, not too long, it populates the weather with clouds. Good. (I have taken the "cumulus02.bmp" from FSX, made by the FEX and converted it to DX3, and it is a whole new world;)Now I want to fly in CAVOK this day, but of course want the nice visibility smoothing I have paid for;) So I go int WX Config.I remove the cumulus layer or whatever is there. I set the application range to "global" and "apply weather".It tells me it is no longer automatic updates, which i s what I want today.Now, the "depiction.." and "synthesis.." are staying sort of forever, must the FS be running, not in pause?Running FS (in slew) and waitiong for a change: Nothing.Five minutes after I switch to ASA and there is still "depiction.." Status message line" says "synthesis updated".Still a lot of clouds.Options page, ALL clouds options is at left, except I have set 5 cloud layers max.NO local supression or supression on ground.1) Why is it still overcast: I look at REPORT page, it says in the metar CLR. (clouds: none reported)Suddently, after a lot of trying, it says "process complete".Still overcast.But then I see that the "application range has changed to "10 miles".Every time I enter WXConfig, it changes to 10.2)If this is corrected, maybe I am doing something wrong: How on earth can I save this situation, where I have been edition WXConfig and setapplication range to "global": I tried to save the weather under "save metar file".. But every time I start ASA,it depicts the weather in Offline Mode, which is good, but it doesn't depict my customized weather, it is still vercast, because it was orignally overcast in the metar.Hope you can answer on this one.Edit: I went to FS own menu: Clear all weather.Clouds of course gone.Then in ASA WXConfig, added a layer of Cirrus at 20000 feet. Apply etc, "online updates are now turned off, weather is applyed".Nothing happens.That is probably because ASA is saying "Complete".But then after 10? minutes, the cirrus is actually there!Must I press "refresh" for the process to start imidiately, or is there always a 10 minute delay for everything?In other words, is it possible to make ASA changes to my GLOBAL weather at once, it is after all a GLOBAL and OFFLINE change I am trying to do?Like in FS9 weather menu, if you add a cloud layer it is imidiately there?I know it is a lot of questions, but I really want this to work;)

Just a little edit, additional information for you:Now I think I know what is happening:If I edit the weather in WXConfig, add a cirrus layer at 20000 feet, 200 feet thick, global, apply, etc,it says "process complete" and the dreaded (?) depiction ....Then if I go to the main page and back to WXConfig again, it has changed the cirrus layer to cumulus!No wonder it is cumulus there all the time!What gives?(FSUIPC: Weather settings off pressed)

Hi,The key may be that you were in slew mode. Please give that a try by not being in slew.Thanks,

Ok, I will try that.Does that mean you are not shure wether ASA will inject weather in FS9 in slew or not?All users of WideView for networked computers have to have their computers in slew mode.In this case I am not trying to have the weather through the network, but running ASA on the client itself.Could you please tell me what to do in order to have a clear sky with only som cirrus at, say 20000 feet, globally,after starting with ASA online mode?I am standing at an airport with onlie weather, nice and overcast, maybe.Now I want to have the fair weather described, globally, but with the upperwind that came from the online weather, (statically and not updated anymore, of course.)What sliders to put where?Is it supposed to be a change of weather by the flick of a switch?After how long time is it supposed to be updated?And how can I save this situation for use later:- scattered cirrus at x feet,the upperwind that originally was there before I tuned off auto updates?I have used so many hours with AS6, ASX for FSX and now ASA for FS9 to acchive just this, that is why I am asking for a preciseexplanation;)Regards,Tore Stabell

Hi,1. Correct, you cannot be in Slew mode.2. Use the ASA Wx Config screen and set up all the conditions you want to have: Wind and Temps, Clouds, Precip., ect.3. Set Application Range to Global, as you were doing, and click on Apply Weather.4. Save your file, if you wish, by clicking on the Save METAR File icon.5. Now, the key for you may be to have the 4 cloud sliders on the Options page set to far left. That may be whay your skies changed last time.6. Start FSX.Thanks,

Thank you for the quick answer!I am sorry to hear that slew mode is not possible, is this new with ASA? Will it work if ASA's weather is being sent throug the network?What I am experiencing is that after using WXConfig, selecting cirrus, etc, and pressing "apply weather", nothing happens. At least not for ten minutes. Is there a delay here,and how long is it? After all, I am in offline mode, and do not need a transition.Then I press "refresh WX" and thing starts to happen.After some trying, I got nice cirrus, like I wanted.Then after a little while, the visibility went from the 10SM I had put in, to like 1 SM, and the cirrus was now cumulus instead,'and indeed, in the WXConfig page, it tells me overcast cumulus.The visibility says 10SM in the metar, but still it gives me 1SM.I have put max vis at ground to 50, and hi level to 175.Do you know what is causing this?"Save your file, if you wish, by clicking on the Save METAR File icon"-Well, if I make a stratus at 5000 and a cumulus at 10000, 4000 feet thick and a cirrus at 23000, the metar willjust say SCT050, SCT100 BKN 230, and will not contain any information about thickness, cloudtype.Do you mean that the information in the WXConfig page is only being saved as a METAR file, meaning all orther information being lost?Last question:If I load online weather and wait for it to be processed and injected. Let us say I am going from London to Madrid.Let us say that it is cloudy over the whole route, in real life, and hopefully also depicted in ASA.Can I go into WXConfig and modify the weather for a airport which is on the midway to Madrid, Bordeaux?) and set the appication radius to 100nm, and set the weather there to CAVOK?Will I experience that the clouds will END as I fly towards Bordeaux, and I can see the start of the clouds on the other side? Or will it be suddently(?) CAVOK all around me and then again cloudy all around me?can I then go int WXConfig

Hi,1. Getting weather data into FS while in slew mode is true for FS04 and FSX. I can't remember if it is true for FS02. It is not a limitation of ASA.2. ASA will work over a network as long as FS is not in slew mode.3. It may take that long to process the data.4. What is the final METAR that you are left with when you are done editing your weather?5. Yes, data is only being saved as a METAR because that is what weather data is stored in. A METAR never says the specific type of clouds.6. Yes you can do this and you will get a 100 mile CAVOK "hole" and you can watch the clouds come and go.Thanks,

Thank you again for replying!I bought ASA upgrade for FS9 to have nice weather there, and I have ASX on my FSX server as well.Now you tell me that FS9 in slew mode, like wideView ar based on, will not work.Will it work to have ASA installed on another , non-FS computer in the network with WideFS, sending weather data to FS9 (which is in slew mode)?If ASA is not working in any way with a FS in slew, then I don't know how all WideView users are getting their weather to their client computers?

Hi,You should ask all this at a WideView Forum. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that for multiple machines you will need multiple purchases of ASA.I just set FS04 in slew mode and everything looked right but the baro reading, but I can't be 100% sure.Just set you FS04 into slew mode and see if you can get the correct weather. I am pretty sure that FSX is the sane way.Thanks,