Sign in to follow this  
Guest ziporama

Nvidia 180.x Random Black Screen/crash On Vista - Possible Fix

Guest ziporama

A hotfix for Vista to be included in Vista SP2 is available for a random problem with multi-core processors and the video driver that can cause a video driver reset (black screen) or a CTD using a graphics intensive application. My problem occurred in FSX and with other titles as well, but only using the 180.x driver.Details for the fix are found here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186After about 8 hours of flying today, I was unable to reproduce the black screen I was seeing on my Vista 64 setup with an Nvidia 8800 Ultra and the 180.x series drivers. This would happen after a while, and never predictably. I'm not sure if this would "cure" the problem if you have experienced it on your system as configurations are all different but you may want to investigate if you have seen a black screen or a CTD in FSX under Vista using the Nvidia 180.x drivers.Applying the hot fix appears to be working thus far for me, and I shall report back here if I get the issue again.Cheers,Etienne

Guest ziporama
Thanks for the heads up.I'm currently running the SP2 beta on both of my Vista 64 machines. On my Nvidia setup I have been using the 181.00 drivers but have never experienced the problem you describe. Just out of curiosity have you noticed any performance hit after installing the hot fix with any of your games that are GPU dependent (not FSX)?
SP2 beta should include the hotfix. I haven't had the opportunity to see if there is a perf hit - I'll look for that this week and will report any issues back here if any.Etienne

Guest firehawk44
A hotfix for Vista to be included in Vista SP2 is available for a random problem with multi-core processors and the video driver that can cause a video driver reset (black screen) or a CTD using a graphics intensive application.
Yes, good find! I wonder if this hotfix will help those poor souls who are having some issues with Active Sky Advanced crashing their systems. I don't have the problem but then I only have a dual core processor and this may occur more often with the quads.Jim

Guest djt01
SP2 beta should include the hotfix. I haven't had the opportunity to see if there is a perf hit - I'll look for that this week and will report any issues back here if any.
Yes, good find! I wonder if this hotfix will help those poor souls who are having some issues with Active Sky Advanced crashing their systems. I don't have the problem but then I only have a dual core processor and this may occur more often with the quads.
Have you guys tried the beta SP2? I

Guest firehawk44
Have you guys tried the beta SP2? I

Guest djt01
Yes, I have it installed and have not had any issues with FSX since installation. I was the one who posted the first notification of its release. I think the final SP2 is due to be released soon. BTW, nice systems.Jim
I was thinking with this beta being so polished that possibly a full release was near but over in one of the Vista forums I read differently. The word now is that we will see a public release candidate followed by a final release in March or April, I

Guest firehawk44
I was thinking with this beta being so polished that possibly a full release was near but over in one of the Vista forums I read differently. The word now is that we will see a public release candidate followed by a final release in March or April, I

A hotfix for Vista to be included in Vista SP2 is available for a random problem with multi-core processors and the video driver that can cause a video driver reset (black screen) or a CTD using a graphics intensive application. My problem occurred in FSX and with other titles as well, but only using the 180.x driver.Details for the fix are found here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186After about 8 hours of flying today, I was unable to reproduce the black screen I was seeing on my Vista 64 setup with an Nvidia 8800 Ultra and the 180.x series drivers. This would happen after a while, and never predictably. I'm not sure if this would "cure" the problem if you have experienced it on your system as configurations are all different but you may want to investigate if you have seen a black screen or a CTD in FSX under Vista using the Nvidia 180.x drivers.Applying the hot fix appears to be working thus far for me, and I shall report back here if I get the issue again.Cheers,Etienne
Thanks for pointing this out. It's a little too early to be absolutely sure, but so far - on 3 flights where usually I can almost guarantee a black screen with my PMDG MD-11 - the problem seems to be cured for my PC.Tim