Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Pushback Problem

I have strange problems with pushback in FSX. Firstly, once pushback has started, pressing 1 or 2 has no effect. I don't press any other keys in between and I have tried holding down the 1 or 2 keys for a few seconds, down to giving them just a short, sharp tap. The oddest thing is that none of the default jets turns, but the Cessnas do. So I installed the FSX version of Rob Barendregt's pushback gauge, which I always use in FS9. Now of course a/c turn on demand, but the turning circle is so shallow that at most airports the a/c is off the apron and onto the grass before it has completed half its turn. This is not a problem with Ron's gauge I think, as the Cessnas, even before I installed Ron's gauge into the jets, had the same hopelessly shallow turning circle.So, my questions. Any ideas anybody why pressing 1 or 2 after Shift+P only works for small props (I only have default FSX a/c installed in FSX) and not the jets? And secondly (and more importantly, as I can use the addon pushback gauge to start pushback and turns), how can I get aircraft to turn in a much tighter circle on pushback? I tried changing the max turning angle in the contact points scetion of the aircraft.cfg but this has no effect on the pushback, only on forward steering.Thanks,MartinWhy did 'Rob' become 'Ron'?! Sorry Rob!!M. :(

I have strange problems with pushback in FSX. Firstly, once pushback has started, pressing 1 or 2 has no effect. I don't press any other keys in between and I have tried holding down the 1 or 2 keys for a few seconds, down to giving them just a short, sharp tap.
I also have this issue and have put up with it for a while, but now it's been mentioned on here I'd be interested in any answers or suggestions also.

Guest kwilson

I have this problem too (and in FS9) . I always thought it was because I changed my key assignment to shift+. but I guess not.

The jets will push back in a straight line before they actually start the turn, and that distance depends on the distance between the nose gear and the main gear.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The Jet's don't turn as soon as you press the 1 or 2 key. I thought the rule of thumb was that the plane will travel the distance of it's length before making the turn.

Well, I can leave my jets until they exit through the airport fence - they don't turn at all.M.

Guest PPSFA

You must press the 1 or 2 right after you start the pushback, if you wait too long it wont work.

Hi All,Maybe in addition to Martin's post here:My explanation in the link above by "tjrush" gives one reason why pushback turning (or other multi-keystroke commands) might not work.Heck, even "jittering" controller axis' might cause that in some circumstances.More interresting (at least for me ...LOL), is if anyone has experianced (like Martin) that the turnrate in FSX-pushback is much slower then in FS9.Either using the standard FSX pushback, or using my pushback gauge (which uses the normal FSX commands for pushback as well, but only in an automated way).Regards, Rob

If I remember rightly, my pushback issues started post SP2 for FSX, in SP1 it worked like a dream for all planes including add-ons.So what is the solution here, I see explanations of "why" it happens but not really any solutions to the issue (unless I'm going blind and its after midnight here so that could be feasable :( ).Will the pushback guage return normal operations to pushback aircraft?

I have a question too. I don't fly the big airliners, so push back for me is limited to tight spots where the fuel box is between buildings, but I have used brakes with the Flight1 Cessna Mustang and even though it turns slowly it does turn. In RL I can understand why that might be bad, but in FSX?

Guest PPSFA
I have a question too. I don't fly the big airliners, so push back for me is limited to tight spots where the fuel box is between buildings, but I have used brakes with the Flight1 Cessna Mustang and even though it turns slowly it does turn. In RL I can understand why that might be bad, but in FSX?
Use what you have. In RL, brakes, steerable nosegear, differential thrust, rudder, are all workable options.

With FSX + Acceleration pack, my jets don't turn, no matter when or for how long I press the 1 or 2 key.. Why the Cessnas do is quite beyond me!But with Rob's pushback gauge this hardly worries me as I never use this method to push back my a/c (and in fact fly 95% with FS9 not FSX, so it's really even less of a problem!). The real annoyance (and why I emailed Rob before posting here, assuming, incorrectly, that it was a problem with his FSX pushback gauge) is the wide turning circle in FSX which means that my aircraft hardly ever complete more than 50% of the pushback turn (Cessnas, or jets with Rob's gauge) before they are on the grass.Maybe the turn circle is hard set and cannot be changed. But why would MS do this (and why have I not heard complaints before about this? Maybe people just don't, or can't, get their a/c to turn on pushback?M.

Guest ziporama

Precisely why I set out to write my own pushback utility for FS9, and still working on the FSX version after a year, primarily because of a total lack of time (too much flying, not enough coding), project creep, unrelated projects, etc, etc... The pushback as implemented in FS9 or FSX doesn't provide any flexibility in the rate of turn, or path to follow in many cases. Improvements on adding distance and turn angle are not very useful in my view as you still have no idea where you will end up. I wanted a utility to be able to park my plane in a hangar and maneouver in tight spots.I hope to publish the FSX version along with a few new features some day before FS 11 is out lol :)Etienne

Thread gone dead...Anyone know (getting back to the original point) if there is any way of changing the pushback circle angle to something sharper so that a/c stay on the aprons? As the forward turning angle is possible to edit in the aircraft.cfg file, perhaps this is also, but I don't know where..M.