Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Higher resolution = more fps?

Guest Coneman

It seems I remember this being true for CFS3, but after raising the res from 1024 to 1280 I seem to be getting better fps in FS2002. Anyone else notice this? I just installed an ATI 9500 Pro, so that could be a factor.Thanks,Todd

Todd,It's because you're doubling the 640*480 setting. FS has fewer calculations to perform so a slight improvement in the frame rates will be noticed.BTW, if you're running on a CRT monitor you should choose the 1280*960 option - not 1280*1024. Multipy 640*480 by 2 and that is why 1280*960 is the best option otherwise slight distortion is introduced. This doesn't apply to TFT screens.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Coneman

Thanks guys. I thought I saw an increase, now I understand the "why".Todd

I have to give this a try myself... I never drew the connection between 640x480 and 1280x960.....

Guest cliff

Ray forgive my ignorance but which is the normal monitor? CRT or TFT?

Well...I'll be the party pooper!I'm running 800X600. I get LESS when increasing the resolution.1.4Ghz Celeron TutulinGeForce2 MX400 64Meg256K Memorygwillmot

Guest Milamber

That's because you just have a GeForce2 MX :)

Guest Coneman

One more question guys. Is it better to run FS in the same resolution as the desktop?Thanks,Todd

Todd,I'm guessing here that you run in full-screen mode - not windowed mode as I do. It makes sense (but isn't strictly necessary) to stay in the same resolution otherwise there will be a delay each time you activate the menu whilst the system switches resolutions.BTW, I checked my frame rates at various resolutions from 640*480 right up to 1920*1440 and although the highest one had a negative hit on frame rates there was nothing to choose from the others. I'll probably end up using 1600*1200 or maybe 1440*1080. All 32-bit colour of course.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest ront1

HI Todd, (or anyone else) Hey when you select 1280x1024 resolution, do you have the choice of 16 & 32 bit color? I only get 16 bit. This leads me to think that maybe I don't have something set up right. I am not sure about this. This is an area that I am a bit rusty on.Thanks, Ron

Guest Coneman

Thanks Ray. Yes I do run in full screen, so I guess different resolutions might not matter that much. 1280 seems a little overkill on the desktop.Hi Ron,I do get a 32 bit option at 1280. I'm guessing it might have to do with your monitor. Mine will only go up to 1280. Can anyone else confirm this? But as Ray pointed out above, 1280x960 might be better. Sorry I can't help more.Todd

Guest ront1

My moniter only goes to 1280 also. I will have to check on this. It may be a limitation with my moniter. I don't know for sure.Thanks, Ron

Ron,Any modern monitor is capable of 32-bit colour - it's only the resolution and refresh rate that is limited based on the quality of the display.I'm sure the 9700 has 128Mb so you should be able to set 32-bit colour. From Control Panel choose Display / Settings and set Colour Depth from there. This is how you set it for Windowed mode for FS2002. If you use full-screen mode you set the colour depth from within FS2002 but it must be set to 32-bit in Windows first. You can't have 16-bit in Windows and choose 32-bit from within FS2002.Changing the colour depth whilst FS2002 is running will cause it to crash even in Windowed mode.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather