Sign in to follow this  
olivermbs

Oom Errors Pmdg Md11 Fs9

Oliver,Perhaps your sophisticated hardware set-up heavily contributes to OOMs. I have PC dedicated for FS2004 only with C-disk only. One OS, no disk partitions. No cameras and other fancy stuff (it's all on my laptop). It allows me to have fast, reliable sim and minimum resources used. The maximum VM size I have ever seen on my PC was 1.7GB.
Well I don't really know what to say other than my config is fine for every other addon out there on the market which I have used from addons sceneries, utilities, aircraft etc (imho if anything an extra high speed HD for FS makes things better not worse), the MD11 will just have to remain in the hanger till someone else reports they have the same problem... But hey I don't want to blame PMDG for a problem on my end, all I'm saying is I highly doubt it's a problem with my setup, it's as simple as before I had no OOMs, now flying the MD11 I have. Yes it may be more intensive than the 747, but in any case 2.75Gb of RAM should be enough for a 2 hours flight, and if it isn't then I would suggest re-writing your minimum requirements.CheersOliver Smith

Oliver,What is your initial VM usage at the moment you load MD11 into the sim? Can you do this test?ThanksDmitriy

Oliver,What is your initial VM usage at the moment you load MD11 into the sim? Can you do this test?ThanksDmitriy
Hello Dmitriy,Sorry to ask the noobish question, but any idea where I can see my VM Usage?EDIT: Not sure if its what you wanted but Process Explorer is showing FS9 using Virtual size 1,002,568 K and WS Private 656,900 K loaded up at KSEA default.CheersOliver

Yes, I mean Virtual Size or Virtual Memory.1GB on initial load is OK. How did you manage to grab another 1.5G during the flight - that's a big question. Definitely you have a leak somewhere else in the sim/

Yes, I mean Virtual Size or Virtual Memory.1GB on initial load is OK. How did you manage to grab another 1.5G during the flight - that's a big question. Definitely you have a leak somewhere else in the sim/
But if I had a leak somewhere else in the sim I would have seen it before? I have over 5000 hours in my FS9 logbook, seems odd that the moment I install the PMDG MD11 I get 2 consectutive OOMs for the first time in over a year without having installed any other addon.CheersOliver

Guest benvanboom
But if I had a leak somewhere else in the sim I would have seen it before? I have over 5000 hours in my FS9 logbook, seems odd that the moment I install the PMDG MD11 I get 2 consectutive OOMs for the first time in over a year without having installed any other addon.CheersOliver
Guy's,The OOM thing.....and the solutions......listen up!I alway's suffer a OOM within one or two hours with the PMDG B744, it is my favourite and i am also a fan of PMDG, but i CAN NOT fly the B744 because of this.I tried everything, even a new computer (a fast and expensive one) installed FS without anything but the PMDG B744.Super clean install, no addons no nothing, only the PMDG B744.Within 1 of 2 hours.....OOM !So memory leaks or not......keep searching until you weight 20 pounds......unfortunately complex aircraft causes OOM (not only PMDG's....i have the problem also with Coolsky MD80).I hope someone will bring me the solution one day.Not to discourage you but i have tried to solve it with a new PC with WinXP and a fresh install of FS2004 with only the B744 and had no luck.Regards,Ben

Hi guys.One question.If MD11 is cause of OOM errors, should You have constant increase of mem usage in any case for example a/c on appron?If I leave a/c on appron for few hours I should have increase in mem usage. If I don't have this, then I suppose that MD is not cause of mem leak.ThanksEdin

Hi guys.One question.If MD11 is cause of OOM errors, should You have constant increase of mem usage in any case for example a/c on appron?If I leave a/c on appron for few hours I should have increase in mem usage. If I don't have this, then I suppose that MD is not cause of mem leak.ThanksEdin
Yep, pretty much. I haven't tested it for leakage yet, but I doubt the MD11 actually leaks. It just uses a lot more memory than any other addons do and whenever we get into an area that pushes FS9 over its maximum allocation, it CTDs. It doesn't mean there is a leak, it doesn't mean something else caused it. It's a combination of factors, all which contribute to FS9 passing that magical 2Gb virtual/1Gb physical mark. The only solutions are either to use the /3Gb switch or to eliminate other memory-intensive addons such as UT, AI traffic, complex sceneries, etc.All i can say from all my testing thus far is that the MD11 flies and performs as advertised when flown under vanilla-FS9 conditions. I haven't had it OOM on any of the routes I've flown in a vanilla-FS9 setup. While most of us don't run a vanilla setup, we can't really expect PMDG to budget (resource wise) for every conceivable combo of addons and sacrifice their product's functionality :)

PMDG MD11 developer, have you ever think that MD11 has a memory bug?? Why you don't take it into consideration.I said few words about this big problem:1 - MD11 goes out of memory after some hours flying. For me this mean, that must be a module that doesn't freeing his memory. This is a mostly common error in the programmer life2 - Only MD11 has this kind of memory related problems, both in FS9 and FSX. Others addon like LevelD does not. And no problem with 747 in FS93 - If it true that we need a 64bit OS, why you don't put it into the prerequisite listRegards Rob :( :( :( B)

PMDG MD11 developer, have you ever think that MD11 has a memory bug?? Why you don't take it into consideration.I said few words about this big problem:1 - MD11 goes out of memory after some hours flying. For me this mean, that must be a module that doesn't freeing his memory. This is a mostly common error in the programmer life2 - Only MD11 has this kind of memory related problems, both in FS9 and FSX. Others addon like LevelD does not. And no problem with 747 in FS93 - If it true that we need a 64bit OS, why you don't put it into the prerequisite listRegards Rob :( :( :( B)
Rob, You're being quite rude here and frankly you're lucky I'm not deleting your post. It's VERY insulting for you to suggest using such an arrogant tone that we have blatant memory leaks in a product we just spent 4 years building - I would have hoped that our reputation would earn us more credit than that.This aircraft was tested by a large beta team with systems running the spectrum from low to high-end. A memory leak would affect ALL these systems, not just a few people such as yourself. A few of our testers flew maximum range flights that take the better part of a full day in real-time and they completed them - that would not be possible if there was a memory leak that causes crashes after an hour or two.The out of memory errors are something that we've seen sporadically reported for quite some time, and they are 100% being caused by the fact that people are running up against the hard limit of what 32bit Windows can do in terms of user virtual address space. When we set the minimum requirements, we cannot possibly know what other addons you are using, what programs are running in the background and systray taking up memory etc. We assume a clean system with a clean FSX, that is all we can possibly know as a baseline for designing. We were very upfront about this when we released the 400X and that has not changed. Our recommendation is to use Vista x64 if you want to be certain that you're not going to get these errors. It is NOT however a requirement - I have completed numerous long flights in the MD-11 in FSX in Windows XP 32bit without seeing an out of memory error.The memory usage in FSX grows as you fly along, but it is NOT due to the MD-11 - you can prove this to yourself by flying with any plane and using Sysinternals' Process Explorer to monitor the User VA usage. It will fluctuate and go up - this is FSX, not the plane. What happens when you have tons of stuff like Ultimate Terrain, Active Sky, large payware airport sceneries, replacement textures, plus a high-end addon aircraft is that sometimes the sim just needs more than what the 32bit OS can give it. There's absolutely nothing we can do about this - making our products better requires us to make the modelling more complex and accurate and so on, and that is going to increase the load on the system. I assure you with 100% certainty that there is not a "memory leak" in the MD-11's code in the sense that programmers talk about memory leaks. High or increasing memory usage does not mean that there's a leak.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yes, MD11 memory usage is on par with 747, i.e. it's high, but not high enough to ruin the party. I used MD11 with combination with AS6.5, UT USA, FE/GE combo, my own-build AI Traffic + FSDT KORD with ~230 AI planes. Yesterday, while appoaching 27L in a heavy snow, I had stable 23FPS from VC and virtual memory/physical memoru usage was 1,403MB/1,620MB at maximum. During the cruise phase - 1.2GB of virtual memory usage is a normal numberHowever, there is one trick I have always done with PMDG 747 for years and doing now with MD11 - I save flight within 200nm of destination, exit sim, quickly defrag RAM (5-7 seconds), reload sim and resume flight. No problems....Yes I did have problems with OOM errors IF I DID NOT SAVE long-haul flights. The errors normally happened on final approach. I totally agree that this is inherent limitation of 32-systems, but XP obviously uses less resourses than Vista, so I would't reccomend to use Vista for FS2004 platform. 64-Vista is not a panacea either, becase both FSX and FS2004 are true 32-bit application, so you will get OOMs from time to time anyway. Until MS will release true 64-bit flight simulator we should live with this problem somehow and find a balance.Just my 5 centsDmitriy

You're being quite rude here and frankly you're lucky I'm not deleting your post. It's VERY insulting for you to suggest using such an arrogant tone that we have blatant memory leaks in a product we just spent 4 years building - I would have hoped that our reputation would earn us more credit than that.
Ryan, don't worry. Wasn't my intentions to be arrogant and insulting :( Deleting my message? why?. I'm a PMDG customer and bought many of your product, this the best evidence of my confidence in your work.I'm trying to help you solving a major bug that stopping most of our long haul flights.Bye Rob

Guest RoniisH
I'm trying to help you solving a major bug that stopping most of our long haul flights.Bye Rob
You need to read his post first. He just stated that there was no memory leak bug in the MD-11.
I assure you with 100% certainty that there is not a "memory leak" in the MD-11's code in the sense that programmers talk about memory leaks. High or increasing memory usage does not mean that there's a leak.
-----------Try the tip I posted on page #1, and see if it happens again.

Guest benvanboom

Dear PMDG / Dear Ryan,

What happens when you have tons of stuff like Ultimate Terrain, Active Sky, large payware airport sceneries, replacement textures, plus a high-end addon aircraft is that sometimes the sim just needs more than what the 32bit OS can give it. There's absolutely nothing we can do about this - making our products better requires us to make the modelling more complex and accurate and so on, and that is going to increase the load on the system. I assure you with 100% certainty that there is not a "memory leak" in the MD-11's code in the sense that programmers talk about memory leaks. High or increasing memory usage does not mean that there's a leak.
I believe this is true !!With the PMDG B744 i alway's suffer a OOM at several particulair flights.Today i tested the very same flight WITHOUT any addon scenery (just the FS out of the box) but with the PMDG B744 installed and for the very first time i had no OOM !!There is no leak in the PMDG product, but i believe that (To many) heavy load addons will result in a OOM,because the PMDG Aircraft (B744 and MD11) takes much of the memory.For example:Starting up FS2004 with the LevelD B767-300 takes at startup about 400.000kb of memory.Starting up FS2004 with the PMDG B744 takes at startup double of that (700.000 to 800.000kb)Now when you start flying with several addons (scenery's etc) installed, these will take another few hundred thousand KB, until the sim crashes.I just finished a flight for testing today, now a clean FS2004, PMDG B44, FSGlobal2008 and no other addons.Again i finished the flight without OOM !But this time because i used FSGlobal2008 as only addon my memory takes about 100.000 - 150.000kb more then the first testflight with no addons!Now i will install the departure airport scenery into this setup and try again, thereafter i will also install thescenery of the arrival airport into that setup and see what it does.But sofar one thing is clear to me.When you have a clean FS2004 install and you install a product like PMDG B744 or MD11 you already "eat up" 700.000-800.000 kb of your memory.When you startup the same setup but now with the e.g. LevelD B767-300, you only "eat up" 400.000 kb of memory (so half of that)IMHO it is clear that a system can handle more extra addons with the second example then with the first.Now don't understand me wrong!PMDG sell's great products and great extra's, the aircrafts are very nice but complex and as a result they "eat up" much memory.But to say that "The out of memory errors are something that we've seen sporadically reported for quite some time" as you stated in your answer to Rob,seems a little underestimated to me. Just take a look at the actual visitors of this thread at the moment and the number of pages views of this topic in a few day's.Rob was a bit rude, but forgive him....he is just frustrated and would like to use your products and have fun with it.I believe there are many people suffering these OOM, people who bought high priced products wich end up in the closet because they can't use itand do not know how to solve these (e.g. just use less Addons, with a result there is more memory available for the aircraft)Maybe it is an idea to just mention the risk that on heavely loaded systems one will have to choose between flying a greataddon aircraft (like PMDG's) or flying many other heavy addons as scenery's etc ("heavy" memory wise).Or to mention at the product page:"this is a great simulation of the MD11 and likewise needs much of your systems memory,be advised to have enough memory available and do not overload your Flightsimulator program with to many addons"I know this sounds not good for the marketing results, but it is fair enough i think.Or....come up with another solution e.g. a testsoftware so that people can test if their system and their FS2004 maybeis overloaded and will suffer OOM when they install and finally try to fly in a complex (PMDG) aircraft.I know you PMDG can come up with something, you are production, knowledge and system wise simply one of the best (as not THE best!)I am not trying to be rude here, also not try to be smart.I only would like that disappointments like these will be less, with more happy PMDG customers.On a previous occasion, a few years ago i came up with some critics and got answered rude by one of your higher ranked officers.I hope this situation has develloped also and i can expect a normal answer this time.Compliments are made in this message, critics are given also but are only ment seriously and with the gole to have more satisfied PMDG customers in the end.Kind regards,Ben