Sign in to follow this  
Guest airbuspilot_1990

Skai Traffic Problem

If you don't have sufficient parking spots at airports, arriving traffic will disappear. Install better/more Afcads.By the way, you do know this particular traffic package is highly illegal, right? :(

Mike...

Guest airbuspilot_1990

Oh really...???No i don

Guest lgvpilot1

SKai traffic is a lot of freeware ai that was bundled into an installer without the permissions of the original creatorsNow we all know that using someones hard work with out permission is frowned upon , in fact it is wrong but I would be interested to know what laws have been broken to make it illegalAre you referring to the fact that it comes in the form of a torrent (which in itself is not an illegal form of data transfer)or is there something else we need to know?Mark

SKai traffic is a lot of freeware ai that was bundled into an installer without the permissions of the original creatorsNow we all know that using someones hard work with out permission is frowned upon , in fact it is wrong but I would be interested to know what laws have been broken to make it illegalAre you referring to the fact that it comes in the form of a torrent (which in itself is not an illegal form of data transfer)or is there something else we need to know?Mark
I am not a lawyer but many of the authors explicitly state in their offerrings that their work may not be used - in any form - with out their written permission. It cannot get much clearer than that.As an example, files which are uploaded to the library here are often removed when it is discovered the package includes work by someone else who has not granted permission.There may not be any written laws on the books anywhere - but there is no doubt that flagrant ignoring of the author's wishes - as in the case of the SKai packages - are just plain wrong and we as a group of users should be vigililant and not use them.My two cents worth.

Guest lgvpilot1

David As you and I have both stated it is wrong in which the way SKai is packaged!In fact if you look at the package your first impression is that it was created by the author!!And that I think is the worst insult of all!I was only curious to know if there was a legal standpoint to all this , and I am in no way defending the creator of SKai If some body could create something like SKai with all the authors permissions it would be a wonderful piece of freewareLets be honest if you are unfortunate to have a reinstall of FS9 forced upon you, one of the biggest chores is to re install all of your ai packagesTo be able to do it at with a couple of clicks with the mouse is something we all would like to seeI suppose the bottom line is to let your concience guide you on this Mark

That's when backups come in handy. I reinstall Windows maybe twice a year. All I have to do is restore the Aircraft folder and all traffic files and I'm good to go, as far as AI is concerned.

Mike...

I'm wondering why world of ai doesn't have a installer that installs all there traffic files in one package I know they release a new one all the time,but hopefully one day someone will get the right permission and do it, it is of course a big complicated setup and time consuming. but it would be really wonderful for everyone. but I cant complain they have done a great job so far and its for free, I back up my world of ai aircraft, from the aircraft folder and the traffic.bgls to other drive or a dvdr, in fact I just did a complete reinstall of windows, so I have been installing everything again.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Silverbird,This has been addressed a few times:The file would be so huge that no no site would host it.Every time they put out a new or updated package that one huge file would need to be recompiled and re-uploaded.So for now we have the individual files to use!Thanks,

Silverbird,This has been addressed a few times:The file would be so huge that no no site would host it.Every time they put out a new or updated package that one huge file would need to be recompiled and re-uploaded.So for now we have the individual files to use!Thanks,
Hi Jim I totally understand what you mean that would be some huge file! and updating such big file would be a real mess. unless there was special software for it :) the way I see it is if you want one huge package all together updated all the time and a easy and nice installer, then you have to go payware.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Hi Jim I totally understand what you mean that would be some huge file! and updating such big file would be a real mess. unless there was special software for it :) the way I see it is if you want one huge package all together updated all the time and a easy and nice installer, then you have to go payware.
But there lies the fault. The people that develop the models, textures and flight plans (me...sometimes) release it as freeware and WOAI uses these releases with author permission, which going back to SKAI, does not.

There are a couple of other issues which I think anyone considering downloading any file via a torrent need to carefully consider: As I understand the workings of a torrent, the files are not kept on a large server (such as Avsim) but are kept on individual users computers and you are actually exchanging files peer to peer.If that is correct, then ask yourself a couple of questions:1. If the file is so "attractive", why is it not available at legitimate sites such as Avsim, Flightsim etc.? Could it be that the file is a payware product and sharing it is in direct violation of the EULA? Or, is it a file (like SKai) which has been put together without the original author's permission?2. What hidden virus, malware, worm or trojan etc. - which your security program may not be able to detect - might be imbedded in the file you download from another person's computer?In my opinion, in addition to the ethical considerations, it is simply not worth the risk.Others may feel differently, but that is how I see it.

Guest lgvpilot1

David While I agree that accessing 99.9 % of torrent sites is akin to sticking your ______ in a pox infested petri dishEven Avisim offers torrentshttp://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=106457The idea of a torrent is good , the fact that it one of the most popular tools of pirates is what gives a good idea a bad name Rapid share for example , great idea , but more commonly known as rabid share for the same reasons you stated.When you think about it, we here at Avsim are lucky to have free access to such a vast library, from which we can download without worry.Mark

David While I agree that accessing 99.9 % of torrent sites is akin to sticking your ______ in a pox infested petri dishEven Avisim offers torrentshttp://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=106457The idea of a torrent is good , the fact that it one of the most popular tools of pirates is what gives a good idea a bad name Rapid share for example , great idea , but more commonly known as rabid share for the same reasons you stated.When you think about it, we here at Avsim are lucky to have free access to such a vast library, from which we can download without worry.Mark
While it can look like a huge task to install all the woai packages again after a fresh reinstall it's actually pretty simple.You can start the woai installer, open up the folder where you have backuped the original zipfile downloads and select them all.The installer will then do a multi package install.There's no need to install them all one by one.BTW the file size of an all in one package isn't the only reason why we don't provide an all in one package.One of the other reasons is that a lot of users that downlaod the woai packages are actually still on dailup connections.We have visitors coming from 144 countries every month.We don't want them to wait for hours on end in order to download a package.Additionally there are a lot of users that don't want all the packages we have released in their sim.If you want only packages for North America you don't want to download all the others as well.When we would provide an all in one package that would waste a lot of bandwidth in that case since the user is going to have to discard the packages he doesn't want in his setup.We don't want that to happen to the download servers since they provide that specific bandwidth to the downloaders.As for the size, a complete WOAI package at this moment is about 2,5 GB at the moment. Imagine us this uploading to avsim and flightsim. It would take hours to do so as well as it will have to be done 2 or more times weekly. that's 25 packages of 100 MB for avsim.This would put a heavy strain on the available bandwidth since we generate an average of 2000 downloads after a package is released at the moment.So an all in one package coming from WOAI won't see the light of day from our side.We also won't allow this to be hosted anywhere since the parts in the packages we use are are bound by agreements WOAI makes with the people that donate their freeware work to WOAI.In that agreement it's agreed upon that woai packages can only be found on avsim and flightsim.com. All other places we encounter them will be requested to take them down.I hope this sheds some light why we won't make an all in one packageKind regards,Tom vd HorstWorld-of-AI

Hi Tom I think for some reason a lot of us were doing the files one by one not realising that we could select them all, lol new lesson learned! I really want to thank you guys for the great job you have done for us! all the skys in fs would be boring and empty! so were extremely lucky to have people like you in the commuity, and it all makes sense now why you guys wouldn't do a whole package the size is really huge! and it would take days for some people to download, even weeks.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs