Sign in to follow this  
Guest TU0833

Pmdg Md-11: After First Flight Report

Guest TU0833

Hi there,First I'm short of words to express you how much I enjoyed your new MD-11 during the tutorial flight (EGLL-LSZH). The flight was so smooth. Everything worked properly after following carefully the flight document. I was surprised that the MD-11 has such advanced features compared to other airliners like the 767 or even the 747 (APU goes off automatic :( ) yet it will someday disappear from our skies. So sad!Believe me when I say that the PMDG MD-11 exceeded my expectations. It's better than the 747 even with the few bugs that I will mention below. I'm so happy that I put my money in the right place. We should call you THE KINGS OF FLIGHT SIMULATION.During the flight I noticed these things:1- The 2-d IRS panel doesn't show up. It is supposed to pop up with the lights panel as I can see in the document.2- The weather radar is a dummy button? 3- The TCAS system can only be accessed in VC mode. The throttle/COM panel (below the FCP) is missing the ATC/TACAS part.4- Nose gear doors are missing.Did I miss something when handling the aircaft? Or these are real bugs.Thank you PMDG for your piece of jewel: the MD-11

Guest JaredA

If I remember right PMDG said that they did not model the WX radar, which is a minor detail in my mind in FS, a nice thing to have and adds to realism, but not something you would die from if not installed. Rob or another PMDG team member can say for sure though.

To see the FULL upper panel in 2D mode right click the compass at the top of the 2D main panel.Weather radar is a dummy because there is no way to realistically model weather radar in FS, so as a result PMDG decided to use the resources required to develop a less than realistic weather radar and devote them elsewhere in the product.The weather radars you perhaps have seen elsewhere are not simulations, but rather rough estimates.In order to open the 2D com panel right click the throttle icon on the 2D main panel.I think you may have a point on the nose gear doors... I just parsed through some MD-11 pictures and I was unable to locate any situation where the nose gear doors of the real aircraft are missing.

Guest TU0833
I think you may have a point on the nose gear doors... I just parsed through some MD-11 pictures and I was unable to locate any situation where the nose gear doors of the real aircraft are missing.
Thanks for your help mate. I'm new to the a/c and very likely that i'll get lost somewhere :( As for the nose gear door I know that in real life they exist and this is what I mentioned to PMDG: they are missing in the simulator :(

Known problem... TU0833, why not use the signature block feature?

Dan Downs KCRP

Yep, a remarkable quality of a simulation. Pity I've crapped out twice with OOMs @ FSDT's JFK before even managing to get her to the runway (lol...), but I did manage to complete two test flights between two much smaller airports and she's an absolute joy to command :) I also found it incredibly easy to operate in autoflight and haven't even touched the manuals yet (I guess being familiar with Airbus, but more importantly, with a certain Fokker, helps quite a bit in quickly adjusting to this bird). Again, incredible release, but also very demanding on memory, much more than I have ever seen before.

Yep, a remarkable quality of a simulation. Pity I've crapped out twice with OOMs @ FSDT's JFK before even managing to get her to the runway (lol...), but I did manage to complete two test flights between two much smaller airports and she's an absolute joy to command :) I also found it incredibly easy to operate in autoflight and haven't even touched the manuals yet (I guess being familiar with Airbus, but more importantly, with a certain Fokker, helps quite a bit in quickly adjusting to this bird). Again, incredible release, but also very demanding on memory, much more than I have ever seen before.
I find her quite reasonable with memory. I havent OOM'd yet which is great since I am running her on 2GB out of my 4GB due to a ram failure (UPS man will make it all better tomorrow though).What speed is your memory? How much do you have?

I find her quite reasonable with memory. I havent OOM'd yet which is great since I am running her on 2GB out of my 4GB due to a ram failure (UPS man will make it all better tomorrow though).What speed is your memory? How much do you have?
She weighs in at nearly half a gig without scenery, that's quite a bit :) I've got 2Gb, DDR3, 1600Mhz. Once you add JFK and 100% AI (literally, I've got nearly every airline flying in and out of JFK installed) and throw in some clouds, that's all she wrote. Looks like the /3Gb switch will be the only way to go with her, which is a pity, as I haven't had the need to resort to this with any other add-ons before.