Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nikola

Md-11 Fuel Calculation Charts?

Guest Nikola

Where to find MD-11 fuel charts???

Nikola: Please sign your name on the messages.Do you mean fuel planning charts like the 747? Don't have'em in the FSX and won't have them in the FS9 version either. Has something to do with missing performance charts due to license restrictions or some legalese that I don't understand at all.The good news is that the FMS is very good at estimating fuel requirements, at quite versatile. I start with a notional amount, enter my flight plan then go to Init pg 2 and see how much excess or missing then adjust with the pmdg menus fuel option. Once I have a 45 min reserve (or whatever reserve I deem necessary) then I'm set. The hard part is windage.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you used a flight plan builder like FSBuild, you can load the route into AS6.5 or ASA and get the wind est. from there. ASA is nice because it gives you the average wind and temperature for your route. You just feed that information into your INIT pg 1 at the bottom and it gives you very good estimates.

Guest Nikola

Ok, I see, but it's not the way I like or doing...Going to find some real charts :) Tank you for answers...Nikola Jovanovic

Is there any fuel planning data available in the printed manuals?
the subject of fuel planning has been extensively discussed during MD-11/FSX release, it is very easy to find those posts.

the subject of fuel planning has been extensively discussed during MD-11/FSX release, it is very easy to find these posts.
Michael is right, you can search for old posts.However, allow me one final note:Whatever you do you will never find any fuel planner or charts that can give you more accurate fuel predictions than the FMS. The reason is obvious: The FMS calculates fuel in full detail using the specific PMDG MD-11 data and procedures for the loaded flightplan (speed per flight phase and altitude/temperature/wind conditions, flight plan restrictions, possible step climb segments, descent path segments, etc.). Flight planners and fuel charts use approximate fuel rates instead. And the FMS WEIGHT INIT page provides the flexibility to test different fuel loads before engine start (BLOCK FUEL entry) see the results and decide how much fuel you need to load.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest Nikola
Michael is right, you can search for old posts.However, allow me one final note:Whatever you do you will never find any fuel planner or charts that can give you more accurate fuel predictions than the FMS. The reason is obvious: The FMS calculates fuel in full detail using the specific PMDG MD-11 data and procedures for the loaded flightplan (speed per flight phase and altitude/temperature/wind conditions, flight plan restrictions, possible step climb segments, descent path segments, etc.). Flight planners and fuel charts use approximate fuel rates instead. And the FMS WEIGHT INIT page provides the flexibility to test different fuel loads before engine start (BLOCK FUEL entry) see the results and decide how much fuel you need to load.
Yea, all that is good, but I like to take pen and paper and to manualy calculate it...Then satisfaction is bigger when on the end of flight find out that you are wrong for less then 1 ton :DHow it's work in RL, is there FMS load calculator??Nikola Jovanovic

How it's work in RL,
In RL they have dispatchers who use very sophisticated (and expensive) flight planning software that does it all for them... such software is for example capable of computing the "least fuel route" or use other constraints, but even then captains may decide to make final adjustments in the amount of fuel carried.

Guest Nikola
In RL they have dispatchers who use very sophisticated (and expensive) flight planning software that does it all for them... such software is for example capable of computing the "least fuel route" or use other constraints, but even then captains may decide to make final adjustments in the amount of fuel carried.
Yea, captain have final word on fuel calc :) ...

Guest cfgarrod

The FMC is like all computers - rubbish in, rubbish out!There's nothing like a printed fuel planning table, as a certain Hapag Lloyd A310 crew found out...Chris

I think I undedrstand how to use the FMC for fuel calcs but just to be sure can someone in the know post an example using a flight plan and the load edit and what you have to do in th FMC? A walk-through on how to calculate fuel for any given route. Maybe make a sticky topic as it might be useful with the lack of fuel planner and charts? I want to do some long-hauls but don't want to mess the fuel calcs up and run out of fuel! :( Andy S

Guest jormond
MD-11 fuel plannerthis may helpGavin
Gavin, Interesting tool, I do have a few questions for you. Why was it designed so you can not read the full aircraft names? Why was it designed to not account for the wind speed and direction as well as the altitude that you plan to fly at? When I compare the results from this tool which does not account for these pieces of information I find that it is under calculating by a large amount the amount of required fuel load and is over estimating the travel time to complete the flight by hours. I'm not sure this is a good tool to pass on to other PMDG users. If I am missing something please help me to better understand how to use this tool.Thank you.Jim