Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Pc For Fsx With Pmdg Products - Performance Question

I've remained well clear of FSX since launch although it is a very beautiful sim and I have my copy from the AVSIM fest quite a long time ago. I remain firmly in FS9-land with all my add-ons including several PMDG products. Seeing the latest MD-11 screenies here and elsewhere, which totally blew me away, I am wondering about a re-think. My question is: what kind of PC should one consider to be able to run PMDG add-ons smoothly and fluidly with FSX? I would need something that can display on Matrox Triplehead with three LCDs (possibly large 24" or 28" apiece) and use nearly 20 pieces of add-on hardware from CH and GoFlight which is my current set-up with an ancient DELL XPS Gen 4 albeit with 3.80Ghz processor and an eVGA 7900 GTO 512MB vid card. My current performance is good to excellent all the time. Smoothness and fluidity are king (and queen) for me. It is the number one priority. I appreciate any posts on this, thanks!Jonathan

When you are talking that much resolution... Honestly I would stick with FS9. More than likely you are going to need a LOT more video memory and a new processor to run FSX the way it sounds like you want to.My rig runs FSX quite satisfactorily except I still prefer FS9 for its smoothness and extensive library of sceneries (cant stand default airports.... ugggghk).

I mostly agree with Sam. I had the Dell XPS Gen 4 (P4 3GHz) when I started beta testing the MD11 in FSX. It was okay, a lot better than the 747X. Actually the fluidity is a lot better in FSX than just fps numbers would lead you to believe. I could have lived with it for awhile.Well, the Dell when ding dong and I've got a quad now (Q9650 3GHz) that I put together myself and even the 747X is pretty nice. Not to stir the pot on the FS9vsFSX dialogs (I really don't care), but I lost everything in the crash... all the FS9 stuff gone. All I had was what was in a box (ie FS9 & FSX) so I didn't reload FS9 for awhile, until I needed the 737 to test sidstars and I had to repurchase it. I prefer the FSX but I don't have any investment (anymore) in FS9. I'm sure I'd feel different if I did, but even doing the beta for both FSX and FS9 I prefer FSX, just night lighting the panel alone is a big difference. All the sceneries I've bought to date are for FSX but I miss the good ones like Tampa San Diego (FS9 only) and so on. Just a matter of time.

Dan Downs KCRP

From many sources... to have FSX smooth and fluid, you have to use Quad Core + 4GB RAM + Good DX10 Video Card.It was caused by FSX which depends on CPU+RAM a lot than a high end video cards.Of course to make use all 4GB RAM, we have to use Vista. We still can use XP up until 3GB RAM using certain modified setting.Regards,Tri Wasono