Sign in to follow this  
Guest jenkins

Msfs Or X-plane

Guest jenkins

hi all, Well, I have a question. I am new to flight sims. and I was wondering what msfs had to offer over x-plane. I am specifically looking for a sim with better flight dynamics rather than what things look like. any help is appreciated. from, jenkins

For Flight Dynamics, X-Plane wins hands-down.

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris

Out of curiosity: how do you judge it?Best regards,Rafal

Nice article McCrash. As a licensed pilot for the last 22 years, I would have to agree with the author on his observations. I have FS9, FSX and the FAA certified version of X-Plane on my computer with Cat II PFC hardware so about as realistic as you can get at home. FSX remains my favorite for home simming. The certified X-Plane is handy though for logging instructor observed time.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hey Jenkins X-Plane has much more realistic flight dynamics so if you fly GA thats the way to go.If you fly Heavys FS9 or FSX is the better option right now due the highly detailed (system wise) Payware and some freeware aircraft out there. But best to ask around before you purchase as some products look good but turn out to be shockers once you load them up.Rob

Rob Prest

hi all, Well, I have a question. I am new to flight sims. and I was wondering what msfs had to offer over x-plane.
I would say better documentation. When I examined XPlane I didn't find the slightest doc on how to fly any of the planes.I also think there was some problem with running XPlane on a single core CPU which would result in frequent pauses in the sim.

Guest jenkins

Thank you for your replies. How is frame rate? In x-plane fps is 45-60+. What about in fsx. I have not found anything on google about it. Your opinions? Also, I have noticed in msfs the airport has a lot more detail than x-plane. I Like that. And I read someone talking about payware aircraft. Are most ( reliable ) aircraft payware? thanks so much, jenkins

You can download a full demo of X-plane from http://www.x-plane.com/Try it yourself and see what you think. Personally I think it is a neat program, but I ended up going back to FS9. You can't beat FS9 payware addon planes for overall realism. You can search the X-plane forum for many discussions on the flight dynamics as well. Honestly, I don't think X-Plane is the automatic winner in this area anymore compared to good payware addons for FS9. I've been tempted many times to pick up X-Plane 9 in stores, but I just don't see myself spending much time in it. FS9 has so much in the way of 3rd party addons that keep me coming back. Download the demo and decide for yourself though.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest jenkins
I would say better documentation. When I examined XPlane I didn't find the slightest doc on how to fly any of the planes.I also think there was some problem with running XPlane on a single core CPU which would result in frequent pauses in the sim.
Well, I use a core 2 cpu. But if I get msfs would you prefer. fs9 or fsx. And I suppose if Microsoft runs good on a single core. It Must run good on 2 core machine. A few ups about x-plane. You can convert fs2004 scenery to run on it. An up about msfs is more realistic airport detail (witch can be converted) and with heavies better flight dynamics! No offense but I see a lot of support forums on avsim. Does msfs have a lot of problems.

No offense but I see a lot of support forums on avsim. Does msfs have a lot of problems.
Not really...a few annoyances like any program. But it sure has a loyal lot of addicts!! :(

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Of course that is just a myth......................that's been perpetuated for about 15 years! Considering that I own a rather high performance aircraft, fly regularly, and am never impressed with X-Planes flight dynamics, it must be because of something. If X-Plane was that good, I'd drop FS9/FSX in a heart beat, yet I get annoyed with X-Plane after about five minutes.However, it's (X-Plane) somewhat better on the ground roll, in regards to the horizontal stab/ elevator, than is MSFS; since MSFS eliminated some "ground dynamics" a few sims back, for improved fps. Other than that, X-Plane has the "feel" of riding on a magic carpet with it's fluid sensation, but totally lacks in the other sensations of feel; such as mass, dampening, power to weight, and inertia. Sometimes the lack of inertia is to X-Planes benefit, as it's easier to stop a fast roll.L.Adamson --- FS9/FSX, X-Plane 8 & 9 with global sceneryP.S. --- I know a Baron "driver" around here, that feels about the same... :)

Guest jenkins

Thank you, yes I have tried the demo. But still how is frame rate in fsx or fs04