Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Updating from Win98...any better affects for FS2002?

I am still using Win98 as my os, but eventually I will be upgrading to a newer os. I was wondering if the newer operating systems make FS2002 run smoother/better?I ask this cause Ive been putting off getting a new os for months and I was thinking that FS2002 could be running better with the newer os.(I currently fly with all sliders up as high as they go and I get alright performance. Although there is room for improvment)

Guest Marvel

If your computer has at least 1 GHZ, I strongly recomend going for windows XP, I can see considerably improvement in FS2002. It might not give you a better fremerates, but things will be smoother I assure you, which is very important in flying approaches, moreover you can crank up some more graphics settings which won't effect framerates a lot. I'm using a lowend system here Tualatin 1.2 overclock to 1.4 GF2MX 256ram and everything seems fine. Maybe if FS ACOF came out I have to run it with every thing set to minimum, till the next upgrade.oh, and your overall stability will greatly improve too with XP!!!! that's what count for me.VatinVTBD

>If your computer has at least 1 GHZ, I strongly recomend >going for windows XPMy computer has 1.9 GHZ

I'm curious to know how with the same processor and the same software, you are going to see smoother operations with FS? I also currently run WIN 98 (for several reasons) and have seen FS on WIN ME, and XP both home and pofessional with similar systems and note no major increases in smoothness or framerates that are measurable. I also will be upgrading to XP soon reluctantly. WIN 98 SE has run VERY stably for me for the last two years here. If you know how to take care of it it runs like a champ. Please correct my possible false assumptions about OS's. Im not kidding, if there is a good reason to do it then Im all for it.Hornit

Guest Marvel

oh, BTW you should have at least 256MB of ram too.IMO windows XP handles PC hardware resources and memories more efficiently.

It does, but it's not worth the cost of the upgrade for that alone. You probably won't see any speed increases in FS2002, but things will appear smoother, loading may be a little faster, and if you have multiple windows open at once, you will see fewer system overheads. XP does make better use of system resources, but AROUND the game, not really WITHIN it.Having said that, W98 will no longer be supported by MS after June so it's a dead OS, no new drivers will be WHQL'd and most efforts from hardware and software developers have turned to supporting the later Operating Systems already, so now is as good a time as any to upgrade for the benefit of your computer as a whole, rather than for FS2002 specifically.Hope this helps.ChasW

Hi Hornit,I have a dual boot computer with Win98SE/WinXPPro. I can attest that FS2002 runs more smooth on the WinXPPro side.I have both sides updated to their latest OS mods, the drivers are matched as close as possible, and yet the WinXP side runs smoother.I can only surmise that the underlying OS modules for WinXP are better than the same modules for Win98SE.