Sign in to follow this  
Bobykim

Multiple Controller Configs

Hello captains, Recently i 've bought the Saitek yoke with rudders and an extra throttle quadrant. The fact is that i fly props and jets. So i want different setups within FS9 / FSX so i can switch easily between a jet and a prop. In the jet Lever 1 has a spoiler function but in the prop it must have a mixture function ( for example). Till now i've got to reassign all buttons and it doesn't make me happy :( I have an idea about making different fs9.cfs? But then what...how do i switch between them...Somebody make me :( ?Gr. from a cold Holland

Hi,yes, I use multiple fs9.cfg and fsuipc.ini files. For each aircraft or aircraft group I have a separate icon. Each of them has custom controls and keys assigned. I am at work right now, but when I am home, I can post a detailed description. Either here or you can send me a mail or a PM. :)Regards,Jure

Hi,yes, I use multiple fs9.cfg and fsuipc.ini files. For each aircraft or aircraft group I have a separate icon. Each of them has custom controls and keys assigned. I am at work right now, but when I am home, I can post a detailed description. Either here or you can send me a mail or a PM. :)Regards,Jure
Hello Jure, It would be fantastic if you post the procedure. Isn't there a tool or software that can manage different controller configs in FS9 / FSX?Gr. Boby

Hi Boby,Ok, let's see how I did a custom cfg file for my PSS/Posky B777 merge. You can use this example for every single aircraft in your fleet if you wish.1. find your fs9.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FS92. Copy it to your main fs folder.3. rename it to FS9_po777.cfg (or whatever you wish)4. I suggest you create a folder on your desktop where you will keep your shortcuts for all custom configurations. Mine is named simply FS5. In this new folder create a new shortcut and name it so that you will know for which aircraft it is intended. In this case, mine is called PSS_Posky_B7776. Fill in "Target" and "Start in" fields as you see on the picture belowWhat is important is the second part in the field "target": the part /CFG:"FS9_po777" tells fs.exe which config file to use. It MUST match the name of the file you just created in your FS9 main folderThe following steps are only valid if you use FSUIPC - registered!7. in Wordpad, open FS9_po777.cfg which you have created in your main FS folder.8. Right on the top, put these two lines (The parenthesis around the word FSUIPC are of course... huh, what's the right word? Well, like all other parenthesis in fs9.cfg, LOL. I cannot use them here. These two lines will tell which FSUIPC.ini to use with your custom settings for this aircraft.{FSUIPC}ControlName=FSUIPC_po7779. Go to your main FS folder/Modules and find FSUIPC.ini and FSUIPC.key10. Make copies of these two files and rename them exactly as you wrote under 8. So, in my example, you have FSUIPC_po777.ini and FSUIPC_po777.key.11. You're done! Double click on your newly created shortcut and if everything is done correctly, just select your chosen aircraft, modify all controls and they will never be changed again. Probably. If FS changes assignements in FS9.cfg or FS9_po777.cfg, you can put a line LOCKED=1 under each JOYSTICK_MAIN.... and JOYSTICK_SLEW.... lines after you have set it up. This will prevent FS from messing with your controller's settings.However, I advise you to assign everything, including the axes through FSUIPC and disable joysticks in FS altogether. Let me know if you have problems, I hope I haven't let anything out. I am using a slightly modified method for my different aircraft where I also copy necessary .dll file(s) from a backup location into the /Modules folder, which is thus kept very clean. Only the necessary .dll gets copied when I start FS9 with a specific .cfg. But that's step two. :(EDIT: as for your question... I am not sure if there is such software. You can use the attribute "This aircraft only" in FSUIPC, but I found out that the FSUIPC.ini quickly becomes totally illegible with multiple aircraft configs, especially if you use some advanced buttons/axes/keypresses programming. I much prefer separate FSUIPC.ini files.Regards,Jure

Hi Boby,Ok, let's see how I did a custom cfg file for my PSS/Posky B777 merge. You can use this example for every single aircraft in your fleet if you wish.1. find your fs9.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FS92. Copy it to your main fs folder.3. rename it to FS9_po777.cfg (or whatever you wish)4. I suggest you create a folder on your desktop where you will keep your shortcuts for all custom configurations. Mine is named simply FS5. In this new folder create a new shortcut and name it so that you will know for which aircraft it is intended. In this case, mine is called PSS_Posky_B7776. Fill in "Target" and "Start in" fields as you see on the picture belowWhat is important is the second part in the field "target": the part /CFG:"FS9_po777" tells fs.exe which config file to use. It MUST match the name of the file you just created in your FS9 main folderThe following steps are only valid if you use FSUIPC - registered!7. in Wordpad, open FS9_po777.cfg which you have created in your main FS folder.8. Right on the top, put these two lines (The parenthesis around the word FSUIPC are of course... huh, what's the right word? Well, like all other parenthesis in fs9.cfg, LOL. I cannot use them here. These two lines will tell which FSUIPC.ini to use with your custom settings for this aircraft.{FSUIPC}ControlName=FSUIPC_po7779. Go to your main FS folder/Modules and find FSUIPC.ini and FSUIPC.key10. Make copies of these two files and rename them exactly as you wrote under 8. So, in my example, you have FSUIPC_po777.ini and FSUIPC_po777.key.11. You're done! Double click on your newly created shortcut and if everything is done correctly, just select your chosen aircraft, modify all controls and they will never be changed again. Probably. If FS changes assignements in FS9.cfg or FS9_po777.cfg, you can put a line LOCKED=1 under each JOYSTICK_MAIN.... and JOYSTICK_SLEW.... lines after you have set it up. This will prevent FS from messing with your controller's settings.However, I advise you to assign everything, including the axes through FSUIPC and disable joysticks in FS altogether. Let me know if you have problems, I hope I haven't let anything out. I am using a slightly modified method for my different aircraft where I also copy necessary .dll file(s) from a backup location into the /Modules folder, which is thus kept very clean. Only the necessary .dll gets copied when I start FS9 with a specific .cfg. But that's step two. :( EDIT: as for your question... I am not sure if there is such software. You can use the attribute "This aircraft only" in FSUIPC, but I found out that the FSUIPC.ini quickly becomes totally illegible with multiple aircraft configs, especially if you use some advanced buttons/axes/keypresses programming. I much prefer separate FSUIPC.ini files.Regards,Jure
Hi Jure, Thanks for the fine explanation. I dont have much time the upcomming days. As soon as i have time i will have a look at it and i will let you know how far i came with the configurations. I do hope so that MS will inplement a good controller config program in FSXI(?)! Thanks again for the effort!Gr. Boby

Good Day All,

Will someone please tell me how to gain access to the (attachment=1557:fs9.jpeg) in post number 5 above or, alternatively, advise me on what I should enter into the said "target and start in fields " as mentioned.

My fs9 is in F drive  and is named fs2004 and my renamed folders will be "fs9config1cfg  fs9config2cfg etc.

Many thanks for any help

Mike

Pilarejo

Spain

A much simpler method is to buy a registration for FSUIPC, then you can use either the "aircraft specific" or "profiles" function to assign and calibrate your controls for each individual aircraft type.

When you load an aircraft FSUIPC reads the type and loads the assignments you have saved. No need for multiple .cfg files.

Peter Schluter