Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

Just ordered TrackIR 4

Hi, I just ordered TrackIR 4 (late Xmas present!). Any hint on using it with FSX? Thanks,Greg
Congratulations! Welcome to the VC Users Club!Not really, Greg, everyone will be different. I do set smoothing to 28, if that`s an issue. You need to play with it - and get past the "dizzyness" that a few folks have complained about in the early hours of using it. That`s all.."Wouldn`t fly without my TrackIR" :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi, I just ordered TrackIR 4 (late Xmas present!). Any hint on using it with FSX? Thanks,Greg
Absolutely great! Flying without it is not the same. If you have a yoke or stick - map the F9 & F12 keys to a rocker or buttons. that way you can disable the movement and reset in an instant. Remjember to use F8 to slow things down when you're trying to click a button in the VC or you'll be chasing the cursor all over the screen. :)Fantastic product - takes no time to make the adjustment to small head movements becomingh large moves on screen.I'd use it as it comes and after a while you can tweak if you feel you need it.Enjoy!

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have just started using it. I would visit the TrackIR site and download the profile "Optimized Flight"http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/04-com...ized_Flight.xmlIt says it's for FS2004, but works well with FSX, at least I have found.It's great, as otheers have said simming will never beem the same. but it takes a while to get used to it.Bruce.

Congrats! It changed simming for me completely. I won't fly without it. I can't imagine flying without it. If mine broke today I'd order a new one a second later. Right now I am flying the MD-11 (well, not right now because my computer doesn't work...) and looking around in the VC is so real and natural! I really can't imagine flying the MD-11 without Track-IR! It's the best.

Guest jshyluk

Installing TrackIR is usually very easy, and FSX and FS9 automatically use the device. There are a few rare exceptions where TrackIR can have a conflict with SimConnect, although that's rare, and I think the latest build of the software has fixed the issue. As stated earlier, you may experience a little dizziness, which should pass.You can set a couple of joystick buttons or keystrokes for the View Reset and Pause functions.I like the Progressive profile, and the Optimized profile is great, too.Stock up on other video games that enable your TrackIR (there's a list in the software).Before you climb into a big complicated jet, consider starting using your TrackIR in the Trike or the Piper Cub, so that you can concentrate on flying and not worry about instruments or procedures.As you set up your TrackIR, you may have to make adjustments for ambient light in your room. Usually, it's not difficult to make your lighting work out.When you get the chance, report back here to AVSIM, and let us know how your new Christmas present is working out!Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest -BeNt-

My #1 thing would be to wait and give it time before you give up on it. At first it will be really really irratating if you are like me. The once you get to it and love it you will not want to fly 2d again! Also like someone else has posted make sure you bind the buttons for control within easy reach.

Hm, well, I never had any problems like dizziness and I got used to using yhe TrackIR the moment I got it working right. So not everyone has got problems in the beginning! :(

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince
WOW this is great! I am having fun. The only thing is when I go to external view and use my hat switch it only moves a little and the trackIr moves the view some. How do I stop the TrackIR from doing that?Greg
Currently the only way is to pause the TrackIR software ( default pause hotkey is F9)

Guest SkullxBones

You will find the pause key very useful. I have it mapped to one of my flight yoke buttons. I pause in VC mode so I can more easily adjust the knobs and buttons in the coskpit, then unpause which is another mapped key. I pause in all exterior views.

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince
Thanks, I set it up on my Saitek yoke along with F12. What a difference this makes to FSX! It will take some time getting use to.
Enjoy :(

Enjoy :(
I have been using a great freeware program by Jacky Brouze. JAB_FSX.zip here atAvsim library.It starts TrackIR and other programs whenever you start FSX.It automatically will go to pause whenever you switch out of the VC.Try it,you'll like it.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Guest Padesatka

I went the more open-source, DIY route. TrackIR has produced groundbreaking, quality products, but I wanted the lowest possible CPU-usage penalty (zero) and that means Wiimote, because the Wiimote's amazing little PixArt IR tracking sensor does all the image processing on its amazing sensor chip. That's why I opted for FreeTrack as the driver, a Wiimote for the sensor, a Bluetooth dongle, and a home-made headset "model" to make it happen, all for about $60US. It sounds a little Rube Goldberg because it is: Manufacturers are lagging far behind in integrating state-of-the-art setups. But with off-the-shelf gadgets and open source software, you can bring it all together yourself. There is active support and a forum at FreeTrack.net, providing guidance and inspiration for setting up your own reliable and affordable system. If you do a little interesting reading there, you'll soon learn how.Tracking has completely changed how I perceive flight simming. Intuitively looking and moving around within a quality virtual cockpit has transformed a years-old occasional dalliance into a new fascination, that is complimentary to my real-world flying and instructing like it never was before. If you don't already fly with a head-tracker, I can't imagine a more satisfying investment to make. Head tracking is a huge interactive leap in interface capability, not only enhancing interaction, immersion, ogling and gawking. Most important to me, it has dramatically enhanced my ability to fly a virtual airplane well. It would be no good driving your car around with your vision restricted to narrow views clicked up with your fingers, and that's no way to fly, either. Nobody who enjoys flight simulation should stay boxed-in without this revolutionary and liberating technology. A new era has arrived, so get it and get in, already.