Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Which MD-80 to get....

Seems there are two 'Pro' versions of the MD80.... The Coolsky 'Super 80 Pro', and the Leonardo 'Fly The Maddog Pro'.I've seen some, but would really appreciate a few more opinions prior to any puchase.Thank you kindly, and happy new year!

I only have the Super80 Pro by Coolsky/F1 and it's decent. It's really FPS friendly, compared to other payware jetliners...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest -BeNt-

I own both and prefer the Coolsky over the Maddog. It's all personal preference, in the collsky you don't have 100% 3d cockpit but the performance more than makes up for it. Either camp is good to be in, so with either I don't think you will go totally wrong even though I lean more towards the Coolsky/Flight1 Md-80. Support is awesome over there too.

Guest PPSFA

Flight 1, you cant beat them.

Seems there are two 'Pro' versions of the MD80.... The Coolsky 'Super 80 Pro', and the Leonardo 'Fly The Maddog Pro'.I've seen some, but would really appreciate a few more opinions prior to any puchase.Thank you kindly, and happy new year!
Hey Dougal; ok - I'll have a stab. I've a coupla hundred in the CoolSky prior to switching to the Leonardo version, and I'll likely get some flak from afficionado's from either camp, but these are my own observations, and some bits may be erroneous; and are all based upon my fantasies, ok?1). Both aircraft have teething issues, which means - log in to both forums, ask questions and read, read, read. You decide what's important. I expect more patches for both aircraft in the near future. Download all the documentation. CoolSky Super80 Pro $54.95 Documentation is about the same from both. User and Operations manuals supplied as pdf's.Much better training interface than Leonardo's. More 3rd party liveries are available for the CoolSky version. Much more developer presence and user support on their forum. You can try the CoolSky version before you buy. - Use it!Overhead and instrument panels are flat surfaces with minimal use of 3d knobs/switches/buttons (that don't click).Too many more features/pros/cons to list. Go here:- http://s80.flight1.net/product.htm LeonardoSH Maddog 2008 Pro $68.00~Functionally the LH version is much closer to the r/w aircraft than the CS version.Adequate/good Tutorial flight documentation.~ 44 liveries downloadable from main site.More aircrew forum members so you get more fact and less opinion, but less developer support.All doors/exits/ladders open/close/extend. Every sound is configurable. Not so on the CS version.Every knob/switch/button is in 3D from any angle, and is fully functional.Automatic (and configurable) failure generator.All night lighting works as you would expect.Again, too many features, pros/cons to list. Go here:- http://www.flythemaddog.com/features.phpAll told - if you want to just startup and fly, the Coolsky aircraft is very tolerant of limited cockpit procedure, and so it allows for quick, no fuss flights. There are folks around who won't like this, and so a purist will want the LH Maddog. For e.g. one can easily get a hot start if the egt isn't monitored on the LH version. Not so with the CS - in fact it can be started with the pneumatic x-feeds shut off. There are other "little" things like this that many folks will overlook - and may not even be aware of that it's wrong (as I was).. but there's a lot of folks that won't.I was happy with the CS MD80 for two years. I am now happier with the LH MD80, as it has greater challenge and more functional realism. It costs more, but you get an awful lot of aeroplane for the price. My 2cents.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I was happy with the CS MD80 for two years. I am now happier with the LH MD80, as it has greater challenge and more functional realism. It costs more, but you get an awful lot of aeroplane for the price. My 2cents.
How are the FSX FPS compared to the CoolSky version? I own the CS version (the original and Pro) and the LH MD80 looks like it might be worth buying!

Matthew S

Guest ziporama

I only have experience with the Leonardo MD83 so I'll speak to that: I find it is an incredibly in depth systems simulation, with features like a weather radar, complete IRS, failures, remote instructor panel, 5 independent lighting rheostats, crew voice packs, etc... The Leonardo just recently got a 3D VC update that is very taxing to my 4GHz system because virtually every knob, dial and button in the 2D is also implemented in 3D, and works the same, which has the polygon count rocket up and the FPS down the drain as well. Of course, you don't have to use the VC.The Leonardo MD as it is implements one of the most complex system simulations of any FSX plane in my hangar, at least equal to, perhaps even more detailed than the PMDG MD-11 as far as systems go because there is less automation in the MD-80, and that's accurately reproduced. It is not the sort of plane you get into and auto-start engines and get on your way in five minutes. I remember it took me 2 hours to get to engine start, after reading the manual, and even then my first attempt resulted in an engine fire because I didn't read quite enough of the manual. The learning curve is steep, and there's quite a bit to do.An updated release of the Maddog is also due out shortly, so you may want to wait until then.The exterior model is perhaps not as modern without flex wings or bump mapping, hopefully something the new version will address.Etienne

How are the FSX FPS compared to the CoolSky version? I own the CS version (the original and Pro) and the LH MD80 looks like it might be worth buying!
I guess that depends upon your system really, Mathew, and how your system is setup, so it's pretty subjective. You can see what mine is, from the sig below, and you can look at my issues/comments/helping posts on the CoolSky forum. My "tester route" is KSEA - KPDX, and I get smoother frames with FSX SP1 than with SP2, locked or unlimited. Now that Active Sky Advanced is out I'm using that, as it is easier on the frames than was it predecessor, ASX; and I have to say - the skies and sunsets are something to behold - but that beauty comes with a price when it's really heavy weather - when flying either aircraft. I also fly only VC, with the occasional 2D screen. You can configure the VC graphics for varying degrees of performance/quality with the LH model. That said - overflying Los Angeles with ASA and XPax running, I'm pulling between 16 and 25 locked at a 25. Elsewhere is generally 20 - 25 - which is very adequate with FSX - full autogen - no cars, 30% airline. Here's another setup screen, to give you some idea of complexity.Hope this is useful.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'll throw in my opinion for what it's worth. I used to take turns flying the PMDG 737, Level-D 767 and the Wilco 737 with an occasional Cessna flight in there from time to time. Since I've purchased the LHS Maddog, I don't fly anything else now. It's not that the others aren't good, it's because the challenge and reward are so high in the Maddog. You start off making a lot of mistakes, but you learn from your errors and experience a great reward for your patience and study. You must learn the systems and follow a checklist to be successful. After awhile it's not so difficult anymore, and you realize that you're more educated and involved in flying than you were before. So if you're the type of person that likes challenges, then the reward of learning the LHS Maddog I believe brings the greatest satisfaction.Curt

I guess that depends upon your system really, Mathew, and how your system is setup, so it's pretty subjective.
It doesn't need to be subjective. There is a way of getting a standardised measurement that's relatively independent of individual systems. If you have both the Coolsky and Leonardo, get them set up in the same situation, at the end of a runway, avionics and engines running, no traffic and static weather, and see what their average FPS is after five minutes. Tell us the figures for each, and we can feed them into the 'Petraeus Scale' that's being developed here http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=239078. Alternatively, if you no longer have the Coolsky, do a comparison with the stock Microsoft CRJ700.That way, other people can see how the Leonardo performs, relative to other planes they are familiar with.

Petraeus

Very many thanks to you all. As ever, i'm bowled over by the amount of detailed info given here.Oh dear..... Touble is, i'm still not able to make a decision :(

It doesn't need to be subjective. There is a way of getting a standardised measurement that's relatively independent of individual systems. If you have both the Coolsky and Leonardo, get them set up in the same situation, at the end of a runway, avionics and engines running, no traffic and static weather, and see what their average FPS is after five minutes. Tell us the figures for each, and we can feed them into the 'Petraeus Scale' that's being developed here http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=239078. Alternatively, if you no longer have the Coolsky, do a comparison with the stock Microsoft CRJ700.That way, other people can see how the Leonardo performs, relative to other planes they are familiar with.
OK, Petraeus - I'll do it later on today. I have no intention of getting rid of the CoolSky version! It's still a great aircraft. (I still have the old CaptainSim 727 around somehere, too! :( ) Bare in mind my CoolSky is not the Pro version whereas the LSH is, so it will be heavier. That was a pretty good post you did the other day. I was looking for the MD. Thanks for your post, too, Curt: it echoes my sentiments pretty much. I think the LH is quite a bit more complex than the CoolSky, and when a planned flight, combined with FSBuild, ASA and XPax, moving jetways and some airline traffic is successful - it become quite an experience, doesn't it! :(

Very many thanks to you all. As ever, i'm bowled over by the amount of detailed info given here.Oh dear..... Touble is, i'm still not able to make a decision :(
Looks like your box can handle either aircraft, Phil.. Get 'em both! :(

How is it possible to try the Coolsky model without buying it - isn't in the Flight1 wrapper system?