Sign in to follow this  
Greg Goodavish

Fuel Planning of MD-11

Guest RomanS

But wouldn't it be more fun and accurate if we had climb/cruise/descent tables (for example, for climb - time and fuel needed to attain a certain altitude @ certain temperature @ certain aircraft weight @ certain de-rate mode) for the MD-11(F)?They're available for the 747, and using our FliteStar I can plan with ±0.5 – 1% precision, even for trans-atrantic trips, taking winds aloft and step cruise into account. Why hasn't this info been leaked for the MD-11 yet? The built-in FMS calculation is quite approximate. :(

Actually, the FMS prediction is as accurate as the lousey weather modelling done by MSFS allows. As mentioned, PMDG could not release the technical data we all wish exists so we use what we got.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest n3bulaR

It's a shame. There is this hyper-realistic, highly detailed airliner simulation, but it lacks such essential information as fuel tables, making realistic flight planning virtually impossible. I really don't understand why these charts were not included. There are descriptions of every system in painstaking detail, but fuel consumption figures are a secret and can't be released? Come on!

This a very old thread, but it adresses the issues I have, so I'm putting it back in the loop :)I'm also looking for to/appr calculation tools, and I've looking at TOPCAT and Vroute, they both look interesting. But, I just bought the MD-11 and I'm flying the advanced tutorial to get some insight in how this airliner should be handled. And I was wondering if the Nav Log output on page 3 is produced by an application available to us? Something tells me it is not, but I have to ask for sure. And are there any other planning tools you guys recommend?MortenUpdate!Think I found it in another thread. It is called "Flight Operation Center" Looks like a Aerosoft application, 75 bucks! No thanks, I think it will TOPCAT or Vroute... If there aren't any other suggestions?

Edited by mortenha69

-----------------------------------------------

Morten Haughom

Greetings from the sticks!

N70° 22' 23 - E031° 06' 02

Vardø, Norway

Old topic is old... lolIf you do mostly by the numbers flying (or even if you don't) I'd recommend TOPCAT. Keep in mind; TOPCAT is NOT a fuel planner. It does provide a basic fuel burn estimation to fill in weights when needed. The FMC is a far more accurate than TOPCAT fuel burn estimates as TOPCAT only uses distance and weight in it's estimate (AFAIK). TOPCAT will provide you with required field lengths for takeoff/landing along with acceptable FLEX temperatures, optimal dial-flap settings (if you don't follow a fixed dial-flap schedule a-la FexEx), and other valuable information which is not provided by the PMDG documentation.You might consider Professional Flight Planner X (http://www.pfpx.com/), it's by the same developers who did TOPCAT (in fact if you own TOPCAT, the performance calculations are included in the flight planning). It was supposed to be available Christmas-2011, but they apparently missed that target. This looks to be the best flight/fuel planning software available, but it's not available so who knows...-Bryant Martin

Thanx Bryant!I bought topcat (having creditcards laying around is dangerous when you want EVERYTHING). And I see your point. I guess I will have to wait for PFPX to be released...It looks awesome though...

Edited by mortenha69

-----------------------------------------------

Morten Haughom

Greetings from the sticks!

N70° 22' 23 - E031° 06' 02

Vardø, Norway

If you simply want fuel planning there is the alternative from one of the member of this forum who made a very good and accurate fuel planner http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350109-md-11-freeware-fuelplaner/. I have tried it for both long and short haul and it was quite accurate. Much more accurate than Topcat which only takes distance between main airports (not even alternate) in consideration.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.