Sign in to follow this  
danr

Need Suggestions on a Computer Upgrade

Two years ago I built a computer with the idea of upgrading the video card and possibly some other components when Windows Vista came out. After reading about Vista, I am still with Window XP and plan to stay with it for a while. However, I am now considering two upgrades (1) a new video card with 512 MB and (2) a new processor. May I have your suggestions please? Please refer to my existing specs below.EVGA nForce 680i SLI Mainboard, LGA775--Intel Core 2 Duo Desktop Processor E6600 OC to 3.0GHz--Cooler Master Hyper TX CPU Cooler--Western Digital SATA 230GB Hard Drive--Thermaltake 700W Power Supply--XFX 7900GS Video Card, 256 MB DDR3-- Sony DVD/CD RW Drive--Sony Floppy Drive--Cooler Master Centurion 5 Computer Case--Super Talent 2GB DDR2 800 Memory.

E8 series (8400, 8500, 8600)9800gt will have 512mg. More card may not be needed even for FSX.You may not see a huge improvement over your present rig, but things should smooth out. It's not all about fps.I ran FSX fairly well with a E6750 OC to 3.2 and an 8800gtVista is fine, just a little different.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Two years ago I built a computer with the idea of upgrading the video card and possibly some other components when Windows Vista came out. After reading about Vista, I am still with Window XP and plan to stay with it for a while. However, I am now considering two upgrades (1) a new video card with 512 MB and (2) a new processor. May I have your suggestions please? Please refer to my existing specs below.EVGA nForce 680i SLI Mainboard, LGA775--Intel Core 2 Duo Desktop Processor E6600 OC to 3.0GHz--Cooler Master Hyper TX CPU Cooler--Western Digital SATA 230GB Hard Drive--Thermaltake 700W Power Supply--XFX 7900GS Video Card, 256 MB DDR3-- Sony DVD/CD RW Drive--Sony Floppy Drive--Cooler Master Centurion 5 Computer Case--Super Talent 2GB DDR2 800 Memory.
In addition what bobbyjack said, you'll have to be careful about what cpu's will work with your 680 chipset motherboard. You will want an X38/X48 chipset motherboard if you get an E8400, E8500, or E8600. So a new motherboard might be an added expense for you. -- this may also require new memory, too! I am unsure about your SuperTalent sticks. Certainly DDR2 800 sticks will not bring out the best in an E8400,E8500 or E8600.Also do not rule out a quad core cpu, especially if you want to keep the machine a long time. The three mentioned cpu's are all dualies.Regarding Vista, as I see it you have two options1) go Vista642) wait for Windows7, read user experiences on how it performs with FS--make a decision; in the meantime run XP.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB