Sign in to follow this  
Guest gary_rabbitt

Question about warning device, real life and sim.

Guest gary_rabbitt

Hi guys,I was wondering what the altitude warning was that sounds like a slide whistle. This annuctuator is in real life use.I have heard the sound on Youtube videos showing a plane on approach, then right near the end of the runway a sound occurs. It sounds like a "slide whistle", going to a higher pitch when you reach a certain point, usually somewhere on final.I also know it was a feature on a FS9 plane I had downloaded once, but due to a reformat, I lost it and don't remember the filename.The sound only lasts for about seconds as you pass an altitude, or a point right before you go over the fence. It is not a beep, but a variable whistle sound. IIRC, there was a proper name for this warning sound. I don't hink it was part of the CAWS on the MD-80, but could be a seperate sound for one of the instruments. Perhaps a manually set radar altimeter gauge?I found the sound on 2 videos. The first one is a little better.Listen at 7:25 (Can't see the registration no. on the panel)

Here is another at 2:51 (LV-WPY is an MD-81)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9B47d-Uhw...feature=relatedThe sound seems to be heard right at the time the plane reaches minimums in one of the videos, and right over the threshhold on another.Both planes are the MD80 series.Thanks in advance,Gary.

Guest Nealoc187

Your second video link is not complete and thus doesn't link to a video.Anyways, I believe that annunciator is the radar altitude annunciator (makes that noise when the aircraft passes whatever you have the RA bug set at... I think). The automated spoken altitudes, "Minimums, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10..." are radar altitudes and I believe the slide whistle noise is part of that same system. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm looking right now to see if I can find anything to back up or contradict my claim).

Guest gary_rabbitt

Hi,Sorry about the link, I have fixed that.At 2:50http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9B47d-Uhw...feature=relatedI am not sure if the sound is part of the callout gauge announcements. Both videos show the aircraft at different altitudes when the noise sounds.I found a third one, the sound goes off right over the threshold at about 20 ft.At 2:43

As you say, it could be a setting to go off where the pilot sets the bug. I have searched some of the FS models but still have not found one that had the sound in it. Perhaps someone who actually files the MD will know for sure.Thanks , I appreciate the reply,Gary.

Guest gary_rabbitt
You might try posting this on the MADDOG web site. You might have to join to post though.http://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/index.phpJimCYWG
Thanks Jim, I may do that and thanks fot the link.In the meantime, a fellow (pilot) who posted the last video Youtube gave me this reply:That tone sounds from 50' above the minimum setting bug on the radio altimeter down to minimums. We normally don't use the RA for determining minimums so we leave it at 0'. That's why the tone starts at 50'. I think this at least gives me where the noise is coming from. Makes sense, as in the last video, he has the RA set to zero, hence the noise happening just before touchdown.Take care guys and thanks again :)Gary.