Sign in to follow this  
johnk51

Stick button assignments

Lately I'm having to fix my stick assignments everytime I start fs9. I've had them the way I wanted for a long time. 1=brakes, 2=gear up/down, 3=trim down, 4=trim up, 5= flaps extend incr, 6=flaps retract incr. I have a seitek st290 pro. I look at the fs9.cfg and have it set the way I want them. But after starting my gear is cycling through views. After I close there is another joystick section. So I set that to what I want. But it doesn't seem to stay. I don't know where fs is getting the settings. I start with the default cessna 182 and have done this since I got fs back in 2004. How can I fix this. It's now that before I start a flight I have to go into assignments and fix it before every flight.

John K

John,if there is another joystick section in fs9.cfg, then delete the old one. In fact, your best bet would be to delete all joystick sections and let FS build new ones. After that, set up your joystick the way you want and put this after JOYSTICK_MAIN... and JOYSTICK_SLEW... lines:LOCKED=1FS will let your settings alone with these line inserted, but be warned, you won't be able to change the assignments within FS!The reason for new joystick section(s) is that you probably unplugged the joystick and then plugged it back in another USB port. Could that be it? In that case you get new JOYSTICK_MAIN... line with a different address in fs9.cfgRegards,Jure

In fs9, it seems that MS uses the "GUID" assigned by Windows to a controller to recognize it. I'm not sure how/when Windows will assign a new GUID to the same controller, but like Jure wrote, moving to a different USB port (or maybe controller) can do it. AFAIK if you lock your assignments and the GUID is changed, fs9 won't be able to use your stick.On my Saitek x45 stick, I use the SST profile (.dat not the newer .pr0) to assign keypresses, not joystick buttons to my stick. Though I have heard that at least in FSX supposedly reading buttons is faster than reading keypress (I can't see any difference).One alternative is to get the pay version of fsuipc. Fsuipc has the ability to get the controller model and assign by name rather than GUID (at the moment you might need to get the 3.85.8 beta off the Dowson fsuipc forum for that). scott s.