Sign in to follow this  
JohnGuru

How can I link to a file description?

I've been using library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID= to direct people to specific Avsim files for download. This is convenient and handy, and does not seem to bypass the library login procedure. However, I would prefer if I could point to the file description rather than start the download. I was wondering if there is some ?param=search-criteria that would support this.Can anybody explain? If there is a FAQ or file about it, that would be good, too.

Guest Matt Johnson

library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=(download-id) will do what you are looking for.(Edit: and yes, both this and the download link will not bypass the login procedure. Put it this way -- unless you are logged in, you are not going to be downloading any files, no way, no how. :-))Matt

Matt this is what I am trying to do for the Flight sim club I belong to...How can i find out the file download id number please ?

Phil Densley

Guest jbinner

If you hover over a download button, part of the link shows you the Download ID. OR, right click on the download button and view link properties.For example, a random link I just looked at:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=118264the Download ID in this file is 118264 and is at the end of the link, where DLID=118264Hope this helps.

Thanks to you all for your help. I've been implementing this procedure and it works great. My new virtual airline makes several references to Avsim.com for base airplanes, and this technique makes aircraft setups for members pretty straightforward.http://www.northernstarairways.com

Yes a thank you from me as well. This will be of great use to members of our club.

Phil Densley

John repled a little too soon !!When I hover over the download button the only thing that happens is a small box opens up with the word download inside it ? No download id, also if I right click the button a new box opens up with lots of things to do, like open in a new tab or windown, Save the target, e-mail picture,etc,etc properties is at the very end of the list and when selected the only address i get is as follows"http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png"Ooops well you can see it gives me the address for the actual download button image no file id !I am doing something wrong here, but not sure what ?

Phil Densley

What I do is hover my mouse over the download button, as suggested, and then look on the left side of the browser's status bar. (I use IE7). Whenever you hover your mouse over a link, the browser always shows the URL in the status bar at the bottom of the window. This is not new. (Usually this information is not interesting, but this time it is.)