Sign in to follow this  
Guest lee23

MD-11 FS9 FMC Freezes

A D: Drive installation shouldn't bother the sim.Still haven't found what you guys with the TO/DEST field problem have in common, and I'm not a techie type.Verify you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributal installed, I have both x64 and x86 in my Vista64. Not sure what should be there for 32 OS but something should be there (tip: Uninstall/Change program will list all the installed components).

Dan Downs KCRP

A D: Drive installation shouldn't bother the sim.Still haven't found what you guys with the TO/DEST field problem have in common, and I'm not a techie type.Verify you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributal installed, I have both x64 and x86 in my Vista64. Not sure what should be there for 32 OS but something should be there (tip: Uninstall/Change program will list all the installed components).
I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributal x86 installed. I have also Navigraph AIRAC 0806 for PMDG installed and I have Czech version of Windows XP. Maybe there is problem with AIRAC or Czech version of Windows ???

I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributal x86 installed. I have also Navigraph AIRAC 0806 for PMDG installed and I have Czech version of Windows XP. Maybe there is problem with AIRAC or Czech version of Windows ???
In the "regional settings" is the decimal separator set to "." or ","?

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

I'm also experiencing this problem. My computer hangs for about 90 seconds while it searches for a route when I enter the DEP/ARR airports. I've had to resort to using the CO Route field. The same happens for the ALTN airport.I've looked into all the suggestions above, and nothing fixes it. Is there any hope?C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\FMCWP\NavDataPaul

I'm pretty sure they would fix it if we knew what the problem was... 3 or 4 have the problem but most do not. I keep looking for what you guys have in common and it might help if you compared setup and systems. So, yeah there is hope.

Dan Downs KCRP

XP Home1.86GHz Centrino1.25GB RAM100GB HDDFS9.1Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022I also have teh Visual C++2005 redistributable. Could that cause a problem?Paul

In the "regional settings" is the decimal separator set to "." or ","?
By default it is set to "," in the Czech Windows, but I have set decimal separator to "." ( default settings didn't work with Active Sky Advanced )

Has anyone solved this problem yet????I have the FSX version and am suffering from the same issue. I had no problems for months and then all of a sudden would freeze up when entering the city pairs....also freezes up when I use CoRoute.Eric

I think I may have found the cause of the problem in this thread. For the guys who have the problem, how many routes do you have in these folders?- The directory that FS9 saves default FS format flight plans (.pln extension) which is "My Documents/Flight Simulator Files"- The {FS9}/PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS directory for PMDG format flight plans (.rte and .rt2 extensions).I have something like 1100 routes in total. Deleting all those routes essentially eliminated the problem. I use FSBuild, and when I create a new route, it exports to all my addons (PMDG, LDS, FSNAV, FS9 etc...). I set it up this way so that once I do a route in one plane, I can just hop into any other plane, and I KNOW the route will be available in the FMC. As you can see, after a while you end up with quite a few files that the FMC has to search through. That's what was hanging my computer for a so long.Oddly enough, I do not have this problem with any of the other 2 addons I mainly use (LDS and the 744). I'm thinking that the lookup code that PMDG uses was changed slightly, and so the delay comes in.As a request, would PMDG consider modifying the current logic so that the FMS only searches for plans when the COMPANY ROUTE field is used (like on the 744). That would allow me to keep my fplans and the convenient FSB setup.Please let us know if this fixes the problem on other computers.Paul

I think I may have found the cause of the problem in this thread. For the guys who have the problem, how many routes do you have in these folders?- The directory that FS9 saves default FS format flight plans (.pln extension) which is "My Documents/Flight Simulator Files"- The {FS9}/PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS directory for PMDG format flight plans (.rte and .rt2 extensions).I have something like 1100 routes in total. Deleting all those routes essentially eliminated the problem. I use FSBuild, and when I create a new route, it exports to all my addons (PMDG, LDS, FSNAV, FS9 etc...). I set it up this way so that once I do a route in one plane, I can just hop into any other plane, and I KNOW the route will be available in the FMC. As you can see, after a while you end up with quite a few files that the FMC has to search through. That's what was hanging my computer for a so long.Oddly enough, I do not have this problem with any of the other 2 addons I mainly use (LDS and the 744). I'm thinking that the lookup code that PMDG uses was changed slightly, and so the delay comes in.As a request, would PMDG consider modifying the current logic so that the FMS only searches for plans when the COMPANY ROUTE field is used (like on the 744). That would allow me to keep my fplans and the convenient FSB setup.Please let us know if this fixes the problem on other computers.Paul
Paul, The PMDG MD-11 lookup logic is different because the real MD-11 FMS is different. The functionality it provides to search your flight plan database for any pair of origin/destination airpots you enter and to present a summary page for each identified plan is unique and does not exist in either the 747 or the 757/767. This requires to open each flight plan file, check the origin/destination airports from within the file, then close it and go on with the next file. Sounds a lot but it is faster that you would expect. A small delay, depending on how fast your the PC is, is normal and won't be a problem. If you've got a really old/slow PC it might take more. With my P4 3.0 GHz old PC it takes less than 2-3 sec to search all the PMDG flight plans that were distributed with the 747 (not at home to tell how many they are, but they are a lot). If it is an issue to you, you can just use the COMPANY ROUTE field. This will get directly the desired flight plan with no delay at all. However, I think the problem here is not the delay caused by searching through a lot of flight plans. If it hangs/freezes the problem (as I explained in the other thread) could be that a "bad" flight plan file is causing this. I am awaiting for a user of the other thread to send me ome suspect files to investigate this.

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

I removed all FS2004 flightplans (.pln extension) and all PMDG format flight plans (.rte and .rt2 extensions) and everything works now. I can input FROM/TO data and FMC works - problem is solved. Thanks :( Jan

Thanks Michael,I'm not 100% clear on what you said. Does the real plane automatically search the on-board database once you enter the origin/departure? If so, I'm more than happy to live with the work-around. If not, I'd still request that the lookup function be restricted to the CO ROUTE field. For the record, I really do like the option of browsing the FMS for the desired fplan, but if it's causing the trouble, I'd be prepared to live without it. Perhaps it could be included in the options menu?Jan seems to have fixed the problem by deleting the plans (How many plans did you have stored Jan?). Let's see if it works for anybody else.Paul

Guest lee23

HI, thank you very much .....it works!!!!!!! :-)delete all flightplans on c:\user...\flight simulator files (.pln)....an the flightplans in your FS9\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS (.rte)an this baby works fine..

Thanks Michael,I'm not 100% clear on what you said. Does the real plane automatically search the on-board database once you enter the origin/departure? If so, I'm more than happy to live with the work-around. If not, I'd still request that the lookup function be restricted to the CO ROUTE field. For the record, I really do like the option of browsing the FMS for the desired fplan, but if it's causing the trouble, I'd be prepared to live without it. Perhaps it could be included in the options menu?Jan seems to have fixed the problem by deleting the plans (How many plans did you have stored Jan?). Let's see if it works for anybody else.Paul
Paul, Yes the real plane does seach the on-board flight plans database. Removing all files from the flight plans folders solves the problem, but I believe this is not needed. Most probably is just a single "bad" flight plan file that is causing the problem. We might be looking at two different issues here: - Long delay if you have too many files (is this your problem Paul? How long was it taking with the 1,100 files you had?)- Permanent freeze/lock-up caused by a single "bad" file. Jan, If you have kept the flight plan files you removed from the two directories, can you put them in a zip file and send them to me (mfrantzeskakis-at-precisionmanuals-dot-com)?

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

Paul, Yes the real plane does seach the on-board flight plans database. Removing all files from the flight plans folders solves the problem, but I believe this is not needed. Most probably is just a single "bad" flight plan file that is causing the problem. We might be looking at two different issues here: - Long delay if you have too many files (is this your problem Paul? How long was it taking with the 1,100 files you had?)- Permanent freeze/lock-up caused by a single "bad" file. Jan, If you have kept the flight plan files you removed from the two directories, can you put them in a zip file and send them to me (mfrantzeskakis-at-precisionmanuals-dot-com)?
I sent all my PLN and RTE files to your address. I had 2099 PLN files and 416 RTE files.Jan