Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Insufficient Fuel

Hi,I'm always having message Insufficient Fuel while flying. I use FSBuild for fuel programming and on PROGRESS PAGE I always have ~ 10.0 fuel remaining at destination (i.e. fuel load is OK). What I do wrong and how to get rid of this message?ThanksDmitriy

Someone from PMDG will reply I am sure, but is it possible that its not enough fuel for an alternate airport, and the FMC is seeing that, and saying not enough. Would be my guess anyway.

Hi,I'm always having message Insufficient Fuel while flying. I use FSBuild for fuel programming and on PROGRESS PAGE I always have ~ 10.0 fuel remaining at destination (i.e. fuel load is OK). What I do wrong and how to get rid of this message?ThanksDmitriy

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Guest killerwatt

Lower your reserve fuel amount in your FMC or place a zero in there.

Guest j-mo

If you are not already doing so, add in wind forecasts at your checkpoints in the FMC before finalizing fuel, since this will affect fuel consumption. It's easy to get estimates of these if you use an add-on program such as Active Sky.

Guest ANZ696

Try aiming for aprox 40.0 fuel at your destination.

Guest nicam
try using the PMDG load manager :(Michael P

The question is under what conditions does the FMC give the "Insufficient fuel" warning ? I would think if the remaining fuel is greater than what's specified in reserves on the PERF page, the warning should not be issued. Is this assumption correct ? What's the logic behind issuing this warning ? Does anybody know ?Thanks,Zach

zachlog

If you don't have enough fuel for a MAP or a diversion to an alternate, the FMC will prompt a insufficient fuel message. As said above, 40K extra works well for the 744.

If you don't have enough fuel for a MAP or a diversion to an alternate, the FMC will prompt a insufficient fuel message.
Actually the logic is very simple, FMC has no concept of MAP or diversion to alternate. FMC can't read pilot's mind so can't factor it in.If the estimated fuel at your destination is less then declared reserve then you get the message. So as Stewart stated above if you set your reserve to ZERO you will never get this message unless you have so little fuel that you won't even make it to your destination (say you encountered very strong headwinds).

Your recieiving Insufficent Fuel warning due to lack of extra fuel by end of flight. On the bottom of page 2/3 of the INIT page is EXTRA; if it is below 0 you will receive the warning for fuel. You need to add extra in FSBuild when building the flightplan, I always go for :30 minutes if possible but depending on trip length; if short; you could be over your max ldg weight.Sean

Sean Green

KG'S or LBS of fuel.

Yes, the reason for your message is the reserve setting within the FMC. The reserve is never zero! When fuel planning you should have the following fuel to consider:1 - Taxi Fuel (gate to runway, some airfields are large and this can be significant)2 - Flight plan fuel (that is climb, cruise including steps, descent)3 - Contingency (this includes fuel to alternate, fuel for holding due to busy airfield or weather)4 - Minimum landing fuel (this depends on SOP and the route, I believe it is covered in the manual, this is mandatory, you will land with at least this in the tank).Your FMC reserve entry should be:Item 4 (which is mandatory) + 50% of Item 3If you use that entry, this means that when you get the message 'INSUFFICIENT FUEL' on the FMC, you know you've burned half your contingency!Does that make sense?CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL