Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

I'm clueless - please help

The memory you posted is NOT for i7! It has a higher DRAM voltage rating.. anything higher than 1.65v will BURN the processor.. (1.69 is critical)The HSF you posted is the Thermalright but it is out of stock at frozen CPU.. the link I posted above is to the same unit and I think they have them in stock and I also posted an alternative that looks like it may do the job as well
Oh man, I didn't even put that it in yet! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'll return it to Newegg as soon as it arrives.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Nick, the OCZ memory just went down on price, is it a good memory?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Guest Nick_N
Nick, the OCZ memory just went down on price, is it a good memory?
Its the fastest on the market right now at 7-7-7 DDR3 1600 timing...yes

My parts just came in, I've been out of the loop on hardware for a while as I said before and I am completely SHOCKED on the size of the GTX260, SHOCKED! Why are these new video cards so huge? LOL

Jacek G.

Guest Nick_N
My parts just came in, I've been out of the loop on hardware for a while as I said before and I am completely SHOCKED on the size of the GTX260, SHOCKED! Why are these new video cards so huge? LOL
The difference between the men and the boys is the price and size of their toysbut in this case.. thats how the big single core GPUs come now-a-daysThey are going through a die-shrink now and will come down in size somewhat

Guest Nick_N

I just helped someone from here set up a 940 on OCZ memory but he was using their 1600 8-8-8 productIts the same memory settings but insead 7-7-7 -24 1T in your casehttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1231546726He is on a 940 which is highly suggested as they are much easier to get to 4GHz than the 920 regardless of what the hardware sites post about the 920.. !marketing at it best!On a 920 you may only be able to get to 3.7-3.8 GHz due to heat.. using REALTEMP v2.09 or above for i7 support the temp under maximum load should never exceed 80c and you can use the BETA of OCCT which has i7 support to run a 1hour CPU stress test as shown herehttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1231811588Turn off Hyperthreading in the BIOS as that will drop temps by 5-10c and FSX /FS9 will not make use of itYou will need to learn about i7 clocking too.. do some googling as I am not at my home system and do not have direct links quickly available here to better guides. None the less, overclocking is NEVER attempted until evrything is installed/patched/confirmed. Overclocking is performed last. Never install a OS or software overclocked.The 940 in the links above had no problem reaching 4050GHz and could go further stable if a better cooling solution was involved however the 920 may or may not get to 4050 as it depends a lot on the ambient temp and the installation of the HSF and the fact that the 920 is not quite as easy to get to 4GHz as the hardware sites make it look in order to appeal to 'budget people' in geting traffic to websites as demo'd here due to heat:http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1231257262Same motherboard, same memory mfg (slightly higher timing), same HSF... 920/940 were the only differences along with possibly geographic location where ambient temp may be a factorIf you use a 32bit OS you should add in the cache edit just o be safe when using more than 2GBhttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1231659751That was for XP.. Vista is different and you can see the correct process for XP or Vista listed here with how to install and setup FSX correctlyhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Although I strongly suggest the use of a 64bit OS (x64) with FSX as there are no cache edits and the memory will be usedThe first order of business is to get the hardware properly installed .. do read the motherboard manual and make sure the memory is in the correct slots. More than likely you will need to make some BIOS setting changes and possibly upgrade the BIOS once the system is up and running however if you have never upgraded a BIOS I would have a tech do that just to be safe. Once all that is complete get the system OS and software/drivers installed, al lof it, and confirm everything is working... last is clocking and final tuningGood luck!That should be a great system for you coming from old hardware.. I can see you having a lot of fun for some years on it with room for upgrades

Nick, quite honestly I'm at the point that I'm not sure if I want to overclock this system just yet. I wonder if the stock will run FS9 with add-ons and AI without a problem?FrozenCPU is out of the 120 Extreme for a few days now, Newegg is out of the OCZ memory as well, two things I still need to get, unless I install stock Intel fan and order some other memory. I'm getting more and more anxious now.Thanks again for all the tips, I really don't know what I'm going to do. :(

Jacek G.

Guest Nick_N
Nick, quite honestly I'm at the point that I'm not sure if I want to overclock this system just yet. I wonder if the stock will run FS9 with add-ons and AI without a problem?FrozenCPU is out of the 120 Extreme for a few days now, Newegg is out of the OCZ memory as well, two things I still need to get, unless I install stock Intel fan and order some other memory. I'm getting more and more anxious now.Thanks again for all the tips, I really don't know what I'm going to do. :(
Start slow.. work your way upYou must have the right HSF to clock to 3.5+FS9 will most likely run just fine on the 920 unclocked and even with the factory HSF you can nudge up BCLOCK with everything on auto and still clock a bit safely. When you get your better HSF then look at higher clocking. This is a new system and platform to you.. dont try to slam everything in one day. Take it in steps and learn as you goI will go ahead and post this here as it should help you and others along in the processWhen not overclocking your system can remain on AUTO for the most part however memory speed and timing will most likely require setting. DDR3 1600 is the memory speed, the links I posted will show you the BIOS screen and where the timings go in the BIOS under MANUAL memory timing settings. The first 4 in the list represet the 7-7-7-24 of your memoryCOMMAND RATE for the memory will be 1T, not AUTOIn Windows, the software CPUz 1.49 on the memory tab should show you:Memory speed 800MHz is DDR3 1600.. its memory speedx2 = DDRtiming as 7-7-7-24 and 1T as the commad rate. If it displays that, you have the BIOS set correctlyDRAM VOLTAGE and QPI\DRAM voltage are 2 different things. You can set DRAM voltage to 1.65v manually and thats all it will ever be set to. QPI\DRAM can be AUTO till ready to overclock, then that will be set to no less than 1.31 and no more than 1.37, 1.35 being the norm in a overclock but LOWER is always better for heat. The same is true for Vcore. AUTO is fine till you are ready to overclock above 3.4, then I would say the Vcore will need to come up manually to somewhere between 1.32 and 1.41 depending on how high you try to clock and no higher than 1.42.. LOWER stable is always better.. you find the lowest Vcore that runs stable @ your CPU clock speed. 80c is the MAX that processor should run under a full OCCT CPU 1hr load test.. see the link I provided about REALTEMP 2.9 and OCCT beta for i7LOAD LINE CALIBRATION should be ENABLED when clocking as well to be sure the Vcore is stable with the setting in the BIOS. AUTO is fine when not clocking.DISABLE HT (hyperthreading) in the advanced CPU menu unless you are using the system for video editing or with other software that uses HT. HT is useless to MSFS.When clocking the CPU a few other menu items should be set like this:Intel SpeedStep Tech DisabledIntel Turbo Mode Tech DisabledCPU Spread Spectrum DisabledPCI Spread Spectrum DisabledC1E Support DisabledIntel Virtualization Tech DisabledCPU TM Function DisabledIntel HT Technology Disabled <--- HyperthreadingIntel C-STATE Tech EnabledACPI 2.0 Support Enabled (only if you use older PCI cards, otherwise DISABLED)Remember, a i7 920 uncloked is going to be much faster than anything you have used but clocked up, even only clocked to 3.0GHz or so that processor will smear anything you have seen before.Clocking the CPU is done by increasing the setting BCLOCK. default is 133. The higher that goes the faster the CPU speed, HOWEVER, you need to watch the MEMORY SPEED. As you increase BCLOCK the memory speed goes up so you can end up unstable if that goes too high. You must adjust the memory multiplier and memory speed to it a. remains at or below 1600b. remains stable at just over 1600c. Get it as close to 1600 as possible@ 4GHz you will have the 1600 option available but below that you will only be able to run 1600 unclocked so be aware you may end up in example at 3.7GHz and only running 1500 (or so) MHz which is NORMAL. The 1600 memory was purchased so you COULD clock and run higher than 1333.Thats all I have time for today...Good luck!

Guest JimBrown

Just a note about the P6T Deluxe MB. You may wish to update the BIOS as soon as you get the board up and running, particularly if you are using RAM rated for 1600 and an i7 920 (as I am.)When I received mine, it had the v1003 BIOS. That BIOS only had DRAM Frequency options of 1800 and 2000. When set to Auto, it ran my 1600 RAM at 1066. The updated BIOS v1102 added a bunch more to the selection, including 1600. This will help set the RAM while running at stock speeds, and will really help when OC'ing to keep the RAM at it's rated speed until ready to OC the RAM as well.Regards,...jim

FrozenCPU is out of the 120 Extreme for a few days now, Newegg is out of the OCZ memory as well, two things I still need to get, unless I install stock Intel fan and order some other memory. I'm getting more and more anxious now.Thanks again for all the tips, I really don't know what I'm going to do. :(
Sorry Drumcode, I think I got that last 6G kit of OCZ 3P1600LV6GK 7-7-7-24 memory. But, when they get more in, you will pay $20 less than I did. FrozenCpu has a new supply of the Thermalright 120 Extreme coolers. Just ordered mine today and it got out the door too, it's on it's way already, that was fast!

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla

Just a note about the P6T Deluxe MB. You may wish to update the BIOS as soon as you get the board up and running, particularly if you are using RAM rated for 1600 and an i7 920 (as I am.)When I received mine, it had the v1003 BIOS. That BIOS only had DRAM Frequency options of 1800 and 2000. When set to Auto, it ran my 1600 RAM at 1066. The updated BIOS v1102 added a bunch more to the selection, including 1600. This will help set the RAM while running at stock speeds, and will really help when OC'ing to keep the RAM at it's rated speed until ready to OC the RAM as well.Regards,...jim
Hey Jim, I to had the 1003 BIOS on my board when I got it and did not flash it to the newer. I didnt see that problem with the memory you saw. I wonder if it had something to do with your CPU being a 920. The higher memory speeds showed fine for me on my 940. Are you enjoying your system as much as me? I never thought I would see FSX run so nice.

Jim Wenham

Guest Nick_N
Hey Jim, I to had the 1003 BIOS on my board when I got it and did not flash it to the newer. I didnt see that problem with the memory you saw. I wonder if it had something to do with your CPU being a 920. The higher memory speeds showed fine for me on my 940. Are you enjoying your system as much as me? I never thought I would see FSX run so nice.
That is correctThe 940 does not have the same restrictions in memory the 920 has.. Asus made changes to the BIOS after the fact for the 920 but it is still multiplier limited where the 940/965 is notThere is a method to my madness when I make suggestions. I know budgets can limit people however when I make suggestions it is in the best interest of the user in the initial use and as time may pass so they are not limited in the future.

Sorry Drumcode, I think I got that last 6G kit of OCZ 3P1600LV6GK 7-7-7-24 memory. But, when they get more in, you will pay $20 less than I did.
When did you order this memory? Newegg seems to be out of stock for a while now. I'm debating wheter to get a different memory now, I've got all the components but the memeory.

Jacek G.

Guest Nick_N
When did you order this memory? Newegg seems to be out of stock for a while now. I'm debating wheter to get a different memory now, I've got all the components but the memeory.
Let me see what is available as an alternative

Guest Nick_N

Wow... those sticks are hard to findTiger Direct lists them in stockhttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4093you may want to call them to confirmThe only other option would be to move up to the next CAS timing module available which would be 8-8-8http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227365Unlike Intel Q/C2 i7 is not as influenced by memory timing and although I would probably hold out and locate the CAS 7 product, the CAS 8 product will still do a bang up job