Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Anyone else think that.....

Guest Matthew Murray

Hey, Anyone else think that "Texture Only" aircraft files are really annoying. I don't know about you, but it really annoys me, cos im lazy and don't like the fuss of having to add it to my collection manually. I find it really annoying when I don't have the model and have to download two files. Anyone else hate it? I would rahter download that extra 400-700K and just be able to unzip the aircraft into my aircraft directory and it all be ready to fly as soon as I start FS up...anyway...sorry bout that...

Not me. In fact, I think all repaint files should be textures-only. Why waste all the server storage space and download bandwidth just because you're lazy and annoyed? As long as you're not paying for it, don't complain about it. Trip

i agree with Trip. i dont mind creating my own aircraft from just the textures. i don't have highspeed at home so it definetely saves me time when i download there, plus when i DO download at highspeed from work i can copy more files to CD to take home if they're just textures.plus, now that i've learned what files need to be where and what needs to be named what, i think its helped me become an AI adding expert!chris

I'm also with Trip, if for no other reason than I'd rather control how my aircraft are organized in FS. By getting textures only repaints, I don't have to download files I already have, and from there, it's a simple edit to the aircraft.cfg (just copying and pasting of the previous entry) to add my new paint. My FFX 737 resides in one folder, with one aircraft.cfg. Within there are 14 texture subfolders.... Can't get more organized than that :)

Guest ba747heavy

I'm with Trip, as I don't want to waste my time downloading the extra meg, and I won't want to waste my disk space.

You're on your own with this one, Mathew. I side with the wasted HD space argument of having a completely different aircraft folder for every repaint you might want. Plus, it makes aliasing panels and sound files that much easier.http://www.expedia.com/pubspec/images/airlines/smNW.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest Matthew Murray

hmm...sigh....i will just have to go with the majority on it....I am not the sort of person who has every available aircraft on my system and for me...it's a pain. However, it seems most of you will already have the aircraft on your system and it suits you fine....

I think I understand what you are saying now, and from that point, texture only kits can be a challenge. But often that's due to the author's request. Many authors (myself included) only distribute their work to one or two sites. They don't want to see the whole package distributed far and wide, especially since some sites might be on the fringe of "free" vs. pay sites. Also, they don't want their FDE to "evolve" as is quite possible. Someone does a repaint, zips up the aircraft and its folders, not remembering the tweak or two they might have made to get the aircraft to feel right for them...I'm just a very minor player in a huge field of aircraft designers. I haven't hit the "big time" yet, but I hope my Microlight release won't be my last. I think most feel as I do, that they want to have some control over work they are otherwise giving up for free. I do think that people posting texture kits should include a link or site/filename for the aircraft they are doing the paint for. Making people hunt for the aircraft that a repaint is made for is a bother.... Obviously, payware is a whole other story....