Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

XP Pro For What It Is Worth:

I have a Toshiba Laptop that I occasionally use on trips, if my desktop is on the blink, when I need something portable etc. It came with the abundance of Toshiba addon junk that is a pain in the XXXX at times if you know what I mean. Of course, all I have with it is the Manufacturer's OEM instalation CD which includes all of the stuff I am not interested in at all. I have intended to get another XP package for some time and replace the Operating System, which I did. I installed it, and then from the Toshiba CD installed only the drivers I needed to run the associated hardware.My purchase included the following:XP Pro Full InstallationSecond disk with SP2Price: $54.99Shipping: $8.49I received the CD's in a plastic sleeve, no box, literature, documenatation or folder similar to the replacement packaging I had with other copies I previously purchased for other computers (which made me just a little apprehensive) However, the labels look like legitimate MS products. The label on the master CD says the following:"Version 2004 Corporate" (A little different from what I have seen before."Microsoft WindowsXPProfessional with Service Pack 2" (The Service Pack is on the second CD)Printed on the main installation CD was the installation code.Over the Holidays, in less than 24 hours, CDSFU sent me my order by Priority Mail.It has been some time since I installed XP on my other computers, but if I remember correctly I always had to go on line to authenicate the installation to MS. I had the choice of delaying for up to 30 days or so. After reinstallation several times for my main desktop, I have had to do this with a phone call to MS (I am sure you know the hassle routine if you have had to reinstall many times).This time, before I activated my Network, or was even connected to go on line, I was able to enter my code just like we did with Windows98, Office 97 etc. and it played like a charm. Either MS had dropped the hassle for reinstallation of Windows XP, or this purchase is different (Possibly the "Version 2004 Corporat bit?????).Looked like a great price to me, in fact far less than I could find Windows XP Home anywhere else so I thought I would pass this information on.I am pleased as punch. My Laptop runs much faster, smoother, and without all the garbage on it now.The WebSite is: http://www.cdsfu.com/Search for Windows XPScroll down through the display to see the XP package.Respectfully:RTH Edit: Folks, we need a generic Software Forum unless old blind me is overlooking it which is always a possibility. I am posting this on all four Hardware forums as I don't really know where it belongs. A little instruction by the moderators toward this end would be appreciated.

Hmmm... seems like pirated software to me.There is no such official version as "Version 2004 Corporate". The graphics were probably burned with a Lightscribe CD writer.All legitimate copies of XP Pro should come with official packaging and require activation.Can you post a photo of your disc?

Only way to post a photo of which I know would be to scan the CD, and I am a bit afraid to do that due to the possibility of messing up the data.Another reply on one of the other forums states that someone else has a Vista DVD the same way. I also just noted that the label includes the word, "Unattended", whatever that means. In any case, automatic updating was accepted by MS. I would have doubted that if the CD was bogus, but who knows. Happy flying:RTH

Hmmm... seems like pirated software to me.There is no such official version as "Version 2004 Corporate". The graphics were probably burned with a Lightscribe CD writer.All legitimate copies of XP Pro should come with official packaging and require activation.Can you post a photo of your disc?

Guest JimBrown

I'm a bit skeptical that this is a legitimate copy of XP. It states on the web site that it includes a "Volume License Key". This type of key is usually sold by Microsoft to large enterprises so that they can use the same key (usually in a customized image, or in an unattended install) on all their computers without having to go through an activation process.In the past, when such a key escaped into the wild, and was passed around on "warez" sites, eventually Microsoft would find out and then disable that key (the legitimate owner of the key would then have to get a new key). A disabled key can still be used to install the OS, but it will no longer be able to use Windows Update.Is the CD you received a pressed or burned CD? If it is a burned CD, I'd be very suspicious.And one more red flag, the domain registrant is located in Malaysia.Regards,...jim

And 90% of the links on the site lead to "no product available". I really cannot recommend anyone buying anything from that site its clearly not legitimate.

Cheers, Andy.

Only way to post a photo of which I know would be to scan the CD, and I am a bit afraid to do that due to the possibility of messing up the data.Another reply on one of the other forums states that someone else has a Vista DVD the same way. I also just noted that the label includes the word, "Unattended", whatever that means. In any case, automatic updating was accepted by MS. I would have doubted that if the CD was bogus, but who knows. Happy flying:RTH
Scanning wouldn't damage it. Just scan the side with the picture.By the way I think creating 4 threads about the same thing is unnecessary. It is hard to follow the topic.

Yup,Afraid this is pirated. As other posters have said, the XP versions with a VLK are for corporate/large organisations only. You should be really looking for either a retail or OEM copy (OEM is cheaper, but you have to purchase it with hardware, since its intended use is for system builders). In either case, you should have to follow the MS activation process. I would actually report the site in question to MS through their piracy reporting channels - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtote...=en&pg=what . I'm afraid that the Vista DVD is also most likely pirated - MS don't do unattended versions of Windows out of the box (although they're pretty easy to build yourself!). The above link should explain how to tell if your copy is indeed legit.You can purchase XP/Vista from any (legit) retailer - I would suggest Amazon or newegg (sorry, but my knowledge of sites outside the UK/NZ for this kind of thing is limited!)

Louise

London, UK

To be fair, you do actually already have a legitimate copy of XP, the one that was on the machine, so all it really means (even if it is a hooky copy), is that someone has had it away with your cash rather than MS. After all, you only bought it for convenience in comparison to going through all the usual desktop reinstall malarkey when it's a pre-install.Of course MS won't see it like that, but I wouldn't blame you if you did.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Apparently the beta is not available anymore.JimCYWG

Guest Phantoms

I can understand not wanting all the crap that comes with a new laptop, but it's easy to get rid of. I bought a Toshiba laptop to use for work (Vista 64bit). Just about everything that came installed on it, I got rid of through Add/Remove programs. A couple things I think I had to use an uninstall file in their program directory. Simple. A clean desktop to start with and no more crap.Many of the programs I need require either 32bit, XP Pro or both (such as Ford IDS). I searched long and hard to find a copy for the least amount of money. I even came across the site the original purchaser used and new within a couple minutes it was pirated just like many other low cost options out there.I could have bought a OEM version off Newegg for an acceptable price, but I wanted a Retail version so I could install it as many times as I liked. I had good reason for this as I wanted to run XP Pro in a VM (virtual machine) and I may of had to install it several times as I got the VM the way I wanted it. An OEM would see every change VM as a new machine, a retail doesn't care. My solution was finding a used copy of a retail version. Searching for a while got me a copy for $80, original XP Pro with no SPs. Installing Service Packs is no problem and brings it up to current. I bought this with the original disk, the original box and manual, the original key on the box, everything. So my suggestion is if you want a legit version of XP or XP Pro, consider a used retail version and pay attention to detail to make sure it's a legit version that's no longer in use. There are plenty used copies such as this out there from people who have upgraded to Vista, etc.BTW, here's a pic of my Toshiba Vista Home Premium 64bit laptop running a legit XP Pro 32bit retail in a VM.And here's the Toshiba it's running on.EDIT; Phantoms, please don't post photos like this, forums slow down enough as it is, and one was over 3 times the allowed file size, thank you for your help Staggerwing Avsim Administrator & Forum Moderator

I can understand not wanting all the crap that comes with a new laptop, but it's easy to get rid of. I bought a Toshiba laptop to use for work (Vista 64bit). Just about everything that came installed on it, I got rid of through Add/Remove programs. A couple things I think I had to use an uninstall file in their program directory. Simple. A clean desktop to start with and no more crap.Many of the programs I need require either 32bit, XP Pro or both (such as Ford IDS). I searched long and hard to find a copy for the least amount of money. I even came across the site the original purchaser used and new within a couple minutes it was pirated just like many other low cost options out there.I could have bought a OEM version off Newegg for an acceptable price, but I wanted a Retail version so I could install it as many times as I liked. I had good reason for this as I wanted to run XP Pro in a VM (virtual machine) and I may of had to install it several times as I got the VM the way I wanted it. An OEM would see every change VM as a new machine, a retail doesn't care. My solution was finding a used copy of a retail version. Searching for a while got me a copy for $80, original XP Pro with no SPs. Installing Service Packs is no problem and brings it up to current. I bought this with the original disk, the original box and manual, the original key on the box, everything. So my suggestion is if you want a legit version of XP or XP Pro, consider a used retail version and pay attention to detail to make sure it's a legit version that's no longer in use. There are plenty used copies such as this out there from people who have upgraded to Vista, etc.BTW, here's a pic of my Toshiba Vista Home Premium 64bit laptop running a legit XP Pro 32bit retail in a VM.And here's the Toshiba it's running on.
Best way is just to buy a new retail version, because there are no problems, and you do not have to deal with the whole "This product is not for resale" stuff. Just save up all the extra pennies stuck in your couch and overtime you will have enough money. A new retail version of XP Pro is VERY cheap these days. Vista Ultimate is pretty expensive though, so I would go with a retail version of Vista Home Premium.Trust me if you have enough money and then blow it all on a 1 install OEM version, you will regret it, because now you will have to wait even longer to save up to buy a retail version. Just hang in there, save money, and when your ready buy the retail version of the OS you want :(.

Guest Phantoms
Best way is just to buy a new retail version, because there are no problems, and you do not have to deal with the whole "This product is not for resale" stuff. Just save up all the extra pennies stuck in your couch and overtime you will have enough money. A new retail version of XP Pro is VERY cheap these days. Vista Ultimate is pretty expensive though, so I would go with a retail version of Vista Home Premium.
While I agree that a retail version of Vista is pretty expensive, a "new" Retail version of XP Pro is not cheap at all. Your best bet is to purchase a used retail version from someone who has upgraded or decommissioned their computer with it.