Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken Meier

AMD Barton 2800+ and PC2100 DDR??

Guest Ken Meier

Hi All,Will these two work OK tegether or do I need to upgrade the ram to 333mhz? I had to flash the bios on my MSI KT3 Ultra mobo in prep for the 2800+ upgrading from a 2000+. This caused Windows XP to throw a fit and I had to re-install, after which all was great. The chip arrived yesterday and all works fine except when the machine is busting it's butt like when running FS. This causes the system to re-boot with no warnings or errors after about a minute of hard run time. It has happened with other programs as well so I know it is not just FS. The mobo says it will run the chip, but I wonder if that may be a possibility as well. I am trying to weed out the possibilites. The board will accept up to PC2700 333mhz DDR.All help and recommendations are much appreciated.Thanks,Ken

2700 DDR ram is faster than 2100 and the 2700 DDR will run at 333 which DDR2100 only works at 266.That is not a big differnce but the technology in the ram is and therefore with the new hardware you I would spend the extra money on DDR 2700 as long as it's going to be 512MB.I personally would not stick with the KT3 for a 2800+. This is mixing old technology with the lastest and I have never seen that work well for very long. Even though the KT3 series is really nice is really nice it was not ment for a 2800+. You have flashed the bios so it will expect it but that does not mean it will work good.It's kind like upgrading from win98 to XP PRO without a reformat. It will work but not everything will work right or to it's full potential. I would upgrade to a nice KT4V unless you need all the extra motherboard goodies there is a ultra.To me these bios flashes to expect new chips on older boards is just for those who want to just "get by" If you really put that flash and chip to the test though it will freak the board out to some degree. this is what i would tell a customer if they where had come to me with this same question :) . Iam a firm believer in not mixing old and new even if it is a 1 year old board and 1month old chip. I like to stay as current as possible to avoid problems . Final advice if you do not want to upgrade the board is to try out the DDR 2700 ram first ! and if that does not go well then try a different board. I do not think a 2800 AMD would work to great with DDR 2100 since the 2600+ and above where mainly designed for best performance with the 333mhz DDR ram :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest Ken Meier

Richard,I was thinking pretty much the same thing, but thought I had to ask. Do you then recommend if I go the whole route and get a new mobo that I should also install PC3500 433mhz and are the cooling modules important?Thanks again,Ken