Sign in to follow this  

How do you determine an intercept track.

May I have recommendations for a tutorial showing how to determine an intercept heading for a localizer on an inbound course.I am finding it difficult to grasp the concept of a bearing which lies"under" the "falling"pointer.Rodger.

Hi Rodger,"I am finding it difficult to grasp the concept of a bearing which lies"under" the "falling"pointer."I'm not sure I understand this. If it's just an intercept heading to a localiser: In real life instrument flight, ATC will usuually vector you at an angle of between 30 and 45 degrees to the loc track. The loc track is the runway heading (or close to). So- for my real life airport at Jeffco (KBJC), intercept the loc to 29R at a heading of 250 or 260 if approaching from the north. Does this answer your question?Bruce.

Bruce,Many thanks for your reply.I am trying to interpret the following:INTERCEPTIONS INBOUND"If the required bearing lies "under" the "falling"pointer end of the needle the aircraft is already established on an intercept heading.A turn might be necessary to improve the suitability of the intercept angle.(As with fixed card A.D.F.it is usually considered good practice to commence an intercept with the station about 30deg. off the nose of the aircraft.If the required bearing lies "above" or on the other side of the indicator,a turn is made to correctly position the needle approximately 30deg. off the nose of the aircraft and above the required bearing.This of course,correctly relates the nose of the aircraft to the station and produces a suitable interception course.When the needle reaches the requied magnetic bearing the intercept is complete and the turn in can be executed"("What is fun for you ,is death to us,said the frog" Aeosops Fables)Rodger.

All that means is that you should have the localizer needle coming towards you when intercepting the localizer. It should move towards you from top to bottom, and hence the falling pointer (anybody correct me if I am wrong). Hope this helps,Max

Guest Johnnyvk

hi rodger! I believe this passage you are referring to is for intercepting an NDB bearing for an ndb approach using an RMI(radio magnetic indicator).This is not the procedure for intercepting a localizer.For intercepting a localizer tune the localizer frequency,select the inbound course with the course knob,use a 30 degree(10 to 45 degrees is good)intercept angle to the final approach course and fly towards the course until the CDI bar centers.then turn inbound on the final approach heading,keeping the needle centered.Easy! johnnyvk

johnnyvk,Many thanks for your reply.I can see how I had the two systems mixed up!!You have explained my muddled interpretation.Rodger. ( I am enjoying my second week of FS2002)