Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

FedEx company information?

Hello,for starters, superb addon PMDG! It's a masterpiece and certainly the best simulation I've seen to date! Now over to my question, does somebody here have some information about FedEx, e.g. what Cost Index they have, or whether they use the faster or slower FMC, Policy/Econ descend etc.I'm asking this because it's my favorite freight airline and I'd like to fly their MD11 routes as accurate as possible. :(

Marius,CI: 650 to 685 (depends on MD-10 or MD-11)FMS: -921ECON descent, unless POLICY is requiredNo FedEx MD-11s have deflected ailerons in use. Whatever MD-11s had that programmed, they were deactivated.Also, not all MD-11s have GPS navigation. This was/is a modification that has been slowly introduced into all of the fleet eventually. I hope this helps.

I'm subscribing to this thread, because I'd like to know too. I'd suspect Cost Index changes depending on the flight. ??

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I will say this...I am around the MD-11 every day at work, and PMDG nailed this one. I mean, all the nuances, everything is dead on accurate, down to the sound of the parking brake lever. One small thing, keep in mind when loading or unloading freight or passengers on any MD-11, the parking brake must be released in order to keep stress off the super critical center gear.

Marius,CI: 650 to 685 (depends on MD-10 or MD-11)FMS: -921ECON descent, unless POLICY is requiredNo FedEx MD-11s have deflected ailerons in use. Whatever MD-11s had that programmed, they were deactivated.Also, not all MD-11s have GPS navigation. This was/is a modification that has been slowly introduced into all of the fleet eventually. I hope this helps.
...it does! Thanks a lot :( Very useful information.

Another question that came to my mind on my latest flight:Does FedEx use special charts to determine the dial-a-flap setting? Or is it pilot's discretion to do so? I'm still trying to figure out how to do this accurately.

They use a computer program, however typical DAF settings are 25 for takeoff in most cases.

Guest keiron

This topic is really helpful. Thanks all!My question is, what's the average cargo load for the FedEX MD-11's?

One small thing, keep in mind when loading or unloading freight or passengers on any MD-11, the parking brake must be released in order to keep stress off the super critical center gear.
Thx for the info Allan. Can you expand on this a bit please?P

"P"(Come on- work with me here. You need to sign your name your posts... Initials don't count. Please don't make me fail you on the checkride because you can't take a vector. ;-))On that center gear- as the airplane is loaded/unloaded, the CG location will change slightly, causing the airplane to sit forward/back on the gear. Also, the airplane will compress the oleos to a greater/lesser degree as the load changes.As this happens, that center gear is going to roll forward/backward slightly as the weight of the airplane adjusts. If you chock that center gear- it will put tremendous stress on the structure where it mounts to the wing box...That of course- would be bad. Probably won't break it the first time.. but maybe the 500th... you know how metal doesn't like to be loaded outside of design, etc etc...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Yeah, Mr. Randazzo pretty much hit it on the head there. Its the same with the DC-10-30 also. Just one of those things. This gear doesnt just start to leak or crack, it for the most part literally explodes at the cylinder. Normally, the center gear is not chocked, but the other wheels are so to allow the parking brake to be released for loading. Basically, it allows the center gear wheels to move as the aircraft raises up or down on the oleos, taking the stress off the center gear. Even simple maintenance functions, such as center gear tire changes, are a little more challenging because with regard to the center gear, you are only allowed to have it on a tire jack for a small window of time, and even that timeframe changes with regard to GW. Keep in mind that this center gear is also canted several degrees forward, which is the primary driver of the stresses there.