Sign in to follow this  
Guest bekfreak

920 or 940

Guest bekfreak

Okay, I missed my window to order my new rig. It's waaay too cold to ship anything right now. I've heard of cases warping due to the constant temp changes so it's leaving me time to do more homework. By the time and weather changes so are the components I'm sticking in the new computer. I'm going to order an F-131 from Maingear and they offer OCing on their systems. Cooling system is an Asetek Dual 120mm CPU Water Cooling System so my question is it worth to just go stock with a 940 or get a 920 with the OC? Even if my monitor is not a high end I'm thinking of just going ahead with the 280 GTX. $118 more than a Core 216. Heh, they're offering the 295 GTX too. Rest of the specs...Silverstone TJ10 PSU Silverstone Strider 750w psu.Asus PT6 MoboCorsair 1333ghz @ 6 gigs. WD Black 750gb HD. Vista Home Premium 64

Guest Nick_N
Okay, I missed my window to order my new rig. It's waaay too cold to ship anything right now. I've heard of cases warping due to the constant temp changes so it's leaving me time to do more homework. By the time and weather changes so are the components I'm sticking in the new computer. I'm going to order an F-131 from Maingear and they offer OCing on their systems. Cooling system is an Asetek Dual 120mm CPU Water Cooling System so my question is it worth to just go stock with a 940 or get a 920 with the OC? Even if my monitor is not a high end I'm thinking of just going ahead with the 280 GTX. $118 more than a Core 216. Heh, they're offering the 295 GTX too. Rest of the specs...Silverstone TJ10 PSU Silverstone Strider 750w psu.Asus PT6 MoboCorsair 1333ghz @ 6 gigs. WD Black 750gb HD. Vista Home Premium 64
Its up to youthe 920 will clock but it will be harder to hit 4GHz with it than the 940 or 965, and, the 920 has restricted memory multipliers which wont affect you today but may later in a year or soYou will want to clock any i7 you get but if you do not wish to clock then the 940 becomes a better solutionIf you intend to use liquid cooling and assuming that liquid cooling solution really works.. (carefull many of them are not much better than a 120 Extreme 1366 air cooler) then getting the 920 (or any other i7) up to 4 will be much easier.The 280 is a good card and in a clock will work very well,.. however they are designed for higher resolution too. If you are not ever going to run a 1920x1200 screen then the 260 would probably be just fine

Guest bekfreak
Its up to youthe 920 will clock but it will be harder to hit 4GHz with it than the 940 or 965, and, the 920 has restricted memory multipliers which wont affect you today but may later in a year or soYou will want to clock any i7 you get but if you do not wish to clock then the 940 becomes a better solutionIf you intend to use liquid cooling and assuming that liquid cooling solution really works.. (carefull many of them are not much better than a 120 Extreme 1366 air cooler) then getting the 920 (or any other i7) up to 4 will be much easier.The 280 is a good card and in a clock will work very well,.. however they are designed for higher resolution too. If you are not ever going to run a 1920x1200 screen then the 260 would probably be just fine
I'm thinking of still hanging with the 920 but the issue with the ram is interesting. Can you explain this? I'm going with my original boutique of choice. The other is too high for some lower end things especially the RAM with only 1066 or over priced 1600. Maxforce PC. 6 gigs of the stuff isn't going for $400 anymore. The owner has been nothing but helpful with questions and I've been tossing stuff from here from the past month.But, I'm stuck once again on the processor. :) I figure it will come down to everything when I put the order in at the end of the month but there's room for thought there.