Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sinnerman49

FSX and Windows 7?

Here in the Netherlands at the Aviation Mega Store they have a setup where they run Windows 7 beta.Pc Specs : 6850 processor / 2 Gb DDr 800 / 8400 graphics card.All scenery default.All sliders set to max and everything else checked.This system is running completely fluid.Everyone can take a look or is allowed to fly.Myself I am using Vista 64 bit an it is running completely stabil , as did XP for me too.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I love how it's called Windows 7 and yet Apple has been using numbers to designate the version of their OS. Just another way to try to conform to the public to match Apple. And I also find it hysterical that they have "I'm a PC" sticker on their Dell Laptops (Windows is so desparate!).Enough Windows Bashing though:I'm very excited for Windows 7 to come out! I think it will be a drastic improvement over Vista and maybe a formidable opponent to Snow Leopard. From what I've seen I'm very impressed! The touch thing is a gimmick but it seems promising. I hope boot camp will incorporate drivers for the multi-touch trackpads on the new Macbooks/Pros!And I hope Verizon will unlock their death grip on their firmware to enable it to communicate properly with Windows 7.

Not to diminish your experience, but I've been running Vista 32 on my notebook for 1.5 years. My notebook has been all over god's green acre and used very heavily, and Vista's performed like a champ for me. I haven't had to re-install once. My only problem with Vista is that sometimes DEP can be a little aggressive.It's funny, though, how people's experiences with Vista are often so varied and inconsistent.Guess I've just been lucky.Cheers,
I have to agree with Byran. I've had Vista 32-bit installed on my user-built PC since it came out. The OS has never crashed, I've never re-installed it, and FSX runs just fine. The only think I don't like about Vista is the intrusive security. It makes routine operation a nightmare. I disabled the whole lot. Of course I have hardware implemented security which keeps folks out. But, like a lot of you, I'll wait until the first service pack is released just in case applications are shaky using the OS.fb

Come January 18th, this PC will be 1 year old. Vista 64-bit has been VERY nice, not one crash or re-install. Windows 7 might be better, because, like Nick said, it's a refurbished Vista. But I'm eagerly looking forward to it.The beta Windows 7 stops working on August 1, 2009.As far as I'm concerned, Windows 7 and FS11 will be good partners. W7 does not care that FSX is on it, as FSX is Vista-optimized.BTW, the I'm a PC sticker is hilarious!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Can Windows 7 be installed as a dual boot on an existing Win XP set up like vista? do the same boot tools like bcdedit and vistabootpro work on it?scott s..

Guest Nick_N
. W7 does not care that FSX is on it, as FSX is Vista-optimized.
Actually I am not sure if that is true and I thought a retraction was printed some time ago after the original DVD readme for the release went out could be a senior moment on my part too

I have to agree with Byran. I've had Vista 32-bit installed on my user-built PC since it came out. The OS has never crashed, I've never re-installed it, and FSX runs just fine. The only think I don't like about Vista is the intrusive security. It makes routine operation a nightmare. I disabled the whole lot. Of course I have hardware implemented security which keeps folks out. But, like a lot of you, I'll wait until the first service pack is released just in case applications are shaky using the OS.fb
I have a second computer with Vista on it (a tablet) and it works fine.I also had it on my old PIV and it ran fine.When I got my newer (now 1 year old) desktop I have had nothing but troubles. The troubles I have are well documented on the internet. ...and the best part is there is no answer or solution to the problem-ms is mystified (and the 7-10 techs I worked with over the last year)! :(

Can Windows 7 be installed as a dual boot on an existing Win XP set up like vista? do the same boot tools like bcdedit and vistabootpro work on it?scott s..
I can't speak for XP, but I installed Win 7 on an external E-SATA hard drive with no problems.When I turn on my computer, I'm presented with the option to load Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

Guest Nick_N
Yes it can but be aware it will rip the XP boot loader out and you will need to use Vistabootpro to repair it before you delete OS.. been there, done that with a few different W7 installs.. :(

Yes it can but be aware it will rip the XP boot loader out and you will need to use Vistabootpro to repair it before you delete OS.. been there, done that with a few different W7 installs.. :(
I don't understand anyway why people insist on putting multiple system boots on the same drive :( -- with harddisks being so cheap these days. Just plug in a new HD, install your desired OS, boot the desired system via bios (for example EVGA MB) or popup-menu (ala ASUS MB) and there, never any conflicts or problems... Gert

W7 does not care that FSX is on it, as FSX is Vista-optimized.
Actually I am not sure if that is true and I thought a retraction was printed some time ago after the original DVD readme for the release went out
It's not "optimized" for Vista at all... just Vista "Compliant". (It will put shortcuts in the Vista games manager thing, etc. etc.) The whole "made for Vista" tag that MS was using was a very small part programming, and a very big part marketing. :) I'll probably give W7 a shot later on in the testing process (should it be available). Vista64 is running beautifully for me, and I have no need or desire to bounce anywhere else!-Greg

I love how it's called Windows 7 and yet Apple has been using numbers to designate the version of their OS. Just another way to try to conform to the public to match Apple. ...
Didn't Windows start out using numbers? Windows 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x ? If successive versions kept using numbers, wouldn't the consumer versions correlated to 7.x by now ...and now MS is going back to just the number again? :(

I don't understand anyway why people insist on putting multiple system boots on the same drive :( -- with harddisks being so cheap these days. Just plug in a new HD, install your desired OS, boot the desired system via bios (for example EVGA MB) or popup-menu (ala ASUS MB) and there, never any conflicts or problems...
More heat, tight fit with 2-slot graphics cards, etc.scott s..

Sorry for such a 'dumb' question, but if i install the 64bit version, will i also be able to install 32bit applications such as MS Office and photo editing software?Thanks

Guest Nick_N
Sorry for such a 'dumb' question, but if i install the 64bit version, will i also be able to install 32bit applications such as MS Office and photo editing software?Thanks
YesIts the same as any 64bit OS.. 32bit programs run fine in x64 however 16bit programs will not.
More heat, tight fit with 2-slot graphics cards, etc.scott s..
In my situation I run 5 however they are dedicated to a job and only one is dedicated to OS which I use for the primary and test beds as well