Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimC1702

Carenado 172 is now available

Guest ryebred

Does anyone make a more modern 172SP? I would love an accurate G1000 version but realize the development costs of such would be pretty high. Heck, I would be really happy with the pre G1000 172's with the KLN94 GPS and KMD 550 MFD. I fly both in the real world so combine that with realistic photoscenery and I would be in simulator heaven.

Now you have a choice of 172's... Flight1's has an authentic representation of the Bendix King avionics of the last of the pre Garmin G1000 aircraft and allows for an instrument platform, Carenado's gives you an older example with the same very simple avionics many of these actual aircraft have. BTW there is a another name for those ARC radios installed in the older Cessnas. They are called boat anchors.
Hey wait a minute Zane-I trained with those boat anchors....

in case you missed it. I've enjoyed the Flight 1 172 for quite awhile but I"ve been looking forward to Carenado's version. I just bought the Carenado 182 and Mooney package and the Captain Sim C-130 so I'm a little leery of grabbing another plane right now.Oh well, it's only money. :)Jim
Is this yet another one of those 160hp cessna 172?What do people have against a good 172SP with a 180HP engine? :(

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Is this yet another one of those 160hp cessna 172?What do people have against a good 172SP with a 180HP engine? :(
You can easily modify the 172 to the SP model by editing the aircraft.cfg file:[piston_engine]power_scalar = 1.125 // was 1

Bert

Hey wait a minute Zane-I trained with those boat anchors....
So did I... and I still rent aircraft with them sometimes :( . But I sure do prefer flying with the Garmin GNS series... or better yet the G1000 :(

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Nice! I'm currently training for my PPL in these things. :) Actually the school has mostly M's but one of them is an N. And performance was roughly the same. And while com1/nav1 in most have been upgraded there are 2 with the original com2 radios and ADF. Have to give this one a try.

I wish Carenado would make a P210. I've always wanted one for FS.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Thanks for the tip. I installed the RealAir 172 .air and .cfg files in the F1 172. Gives an excellent flight model but the VC is distorted. Is that an eyepoint problem. I've gone back and forth with the eyepoints but the problem persists. Is there just a basic incompatibility with the VC?

Thanks for the tip. I installed the RealAir 172 .air and .cfg files in the F1 172. Gives an excellent flight model but the VC is distorted. Is that an eyepoint problem. I've gone back and forth with the eyepoints but the problem persists. Is there just a basic incompatibility with the VC?
Hi Kevin, try using just the air file and keep the F1 aircraft.cfg. Either rename the air file to the equivalent F1 version, or modify the F1 aircraft.cfg to take the new air file. Rob's aircraft.cfg was designed to be a replacement for the stock 172SP so you shouldn't use it. If you're particular about flying an SP (instead of an R version) with the extra 20 hp adjust the power scalar somewhere down the file as Bert suggested above. Bear in mind the F1 version comes with spinnable flight dynamics as well that you can activate via the aircraft configuration program. (I just used Rob's air file because I am quite familiar with how the aircraft behaves using such a file, i.e. very realistic!) Good luck!Ponti

Guest byoungblood
This is part of the fun of buying an authentic simulation of an actual aircraft..It comes with the instruments that are in fact installed!Most 172 trainers do not have an autopilot.Better wake up the pilot though... he/she's the only guy/gal flying the airplane. :(
It would be nice if they would offer a newer panel, maybe include a 430 and keep one of the old ARC radios as nav/com 2, like one of the airplanes at the flying club I'm a member of. Unless you're flying an old classic Cessna taildragger or a warbird, I don't think most pilots really care if the radios are authentic for the period or not. Their use of those old boat anchor radios (yes, I trained with them too...I flew more than a few airplanes with King 170s in them) is the one thing that turns me off about the Carenado aircraft. I'd really like to see some panel options, perhaps with a GPS/Nav/Com substituted for one of the ARC or old King radios or perhaps a IFR GPS in place of the ADF and a KX-155 in place of one of the ARCs.

Hi Kevin, try using just the air file and keep the F1 aircraft.cfg. Either rename the air file to the equivalent F1 version, or modify the F1 aircraft.cfg to take the new air file. Rob's aircraft.cfg was designed to be a replacement for the stock 172SP so you shouldn't use it. If you're particular about flying an SP (instead of an R version) with the extra 20 hp adjust the power scalar somewhere down the file as Bert suggested above. Bear in mind the F1 version comes with spinnable flight dynamics as well that you can activate via the aircraft configuration program. (I just used Rob's air file because I am quite familiar with how the aircraft behaves using such a file, i.e. very realistic!) Good luck!Ponti
I swapped the .air file and the flight model is much improved. However, the .cfg file of the RAS model seems much more complex and I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not trying to incorporate it into the F1. I may have to spend the next rainy weekend sortng some of this stuff out. Thanks for the tip...

Has anyone else received a malware warning when going to the Carenado website? I went to the site in Apple Safari (in OSX) and it came up with a google alert that malware had previously been found on the site. I'm wondering if I went to the wrong url or something.

A little OT but in case anyone missed it Alexander Metzger made a bunch of new flight dynamics for most of the default FSX aircraft. Here is his site:http://www.metzgergva.de/
And I do find it pretty good indeed. That's the one I use for training.

Has anyone else received a malware warning when going to the Carenado website? I went to the site in Apple Safari (in OSX) and it came up with a google alert that malware had previously been found on the site.
Yes. A couple of times in the last week when visiting their site my anti-virus/malware protection noted an attempt to download and try to run a trojan. This was on different machines, with different OSes and different anti-virus/malware software. Seems to be OK at the moment.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Well I ran Housecall on both FS systems, came back clean and when I got that virus I was in OSX so I'm not too concerned but I'll wait until the 172 is on sale at Flight 1 to buy it, I'm not trusting my credit card to a site that might have been hacked.Has anyone had virus problems with the aircraft themselves?