Sign in to follow this  
tfm

MD-11 & 747X: OOM / black screen variant: POSSIBLE FIX

Symptoms: flying PMDG MD-11X or 747X products in dense graphical environments? black / corrupt display after swapping between windows and full-screen mode? no aircraft in preview window after finishing a flight? black screen when resuming flight? black screen on approach? By monitoring sysinternals some weeks ago some of us on this forum thought we'd traced this sort of problem to the high RAM usage of PMDG problems, but we couldn't solve it (though some people found workarounds - basically, turning down the graphics, or saving flights and re-starting FSX).It appears that we may have been on the right track after all:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186Vista / Windows 2008 only.On 3 flights where I could previously almost guarantee such symptoms, the hotfixes available via this link have worked for me, using the Nvidia 181.20 WHQL drivers.Too early to tell for sure, perhaps: but fingers crossed.Thanks to "Ziporama" on the Avsim hardware forum for spotting this hotfix.Tim

After what seemed like success at first, i tried several more flights today: but the problem still occurs.I guess either this is a complete false dawn (and my 3 test flights were just good (?) luck), or the hotfixes are at best a partial solution. Tim

Brief update:I figured, having nothing to lose, I would upgrade to the Vista SP2 Beta. Well, it has *sort of* fixed the problem. I still get the terrible graphical corruption when I go into various menus. Sometimes missing textures, sometimes all black, sometimes other strangeness. However, I have been able to fix it by pressing alt-enter a few times.I am not far enough in the tutorial flight to get the sky blue textures, but I'm hoping a few alt-enters will fix that as well. So, while there's still a problem of some sort, I have what I consider a *workable* solution, perhaps, if it keeps up with this trend.I'll keep reporting.-stefan

Ok, that was premature. The alt-enter worked fr about 20 minutes of flight, and then it went to hell.Now then. Next step, try Direct X 10 preview. So far with that, so good, and with the Nvidia 181.20 or whatever drivers, the new ones, the taxiway and runway shimmering is gone. I am having a noticable FPS hit with it, but I'm not having terrible graphical issues that prevent flight. Still in climb-out on that one, but thought I'd update for fun and profit.-stefanEdit: I was able to complete a flight in DX10 mode. FPS hit was bad, but not showstopping, so it's something I'll have to live with. Only a few graphical glitches, none of which were overly distracting. I'm still hoping for a DX9 fix, but I don't think it's PMDG's fault, so I'll just deal with it. If anyone has any suggestions to get better performance out of DX10 mode, feel free to let me know. Basic specs now are E8400 @ 3.94 ghz, GTX 260, 4GB RAM.

Symptoms: flying PMDG MD-11X or 747X products in dense graphical environments? black / corrupt display after swapping between windows and full-screen mode? no aircraft in preview window after finishing a flight? black screen when resuming flight? black screen on approach? By monitoring sysinternals some weeks ago some of us on this forum thought we'd traced this sort of problem to the high RAM usage of PMDG problems, but we couldn't solve it (though some people found workarounds - basically, turning down the graphics, or saving flights and re-starting FSX).It appears that we may have been on the right track after all:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186Vista / Windows 2008 only.On 3 flights where I could previously almost guarantee such symptoms, the hotfixes available via this link have worked for me, using the Nvidia 181.20 WHQL drivers.Too early to tell for sure, perhaps: but fingers crossed.Thanks to "Ziporama" on the Avsim hardware forum for spotting this hotfix.Tim
Tim, which x64 hotfix did you try? The hotfix left me with two files. Windows6.0-KB953186-v2-x64 & Windows6.0-KB953186-x64. I tried the later one and still have problems with black screen in DX9. Havent tried "v2" yet primarily because I fear the worst for my otherwise stable machine.

Ryan Kelly

I've been successful with DX-10 - BUT - there has been some minor decay of the textures just as I finished the flight.Of course, half the stuff installed supports DX-10 and the other half doesn't. So I'm pretty busy changing things around.Previously, I had the OOM issues. I upgraded to 4gb and Vista 64 with 2x2 DDR2 and the OOM issues went away and this texture problem started to occur.I believe they are related and the end failure depends on the hardware configuration.I haven't heard one comment from PMDG on this, but there's a growing group of users experiencing the same problem.I'm not sure if they're working on this, have never seen it, don't believe us, or chose to ignore the problem. But I'd like to know the developers take on this.For everyone who wants to chime in "i don't have that problem", thanks, but I get it. Not everyone has the problem.System specs 680i SLI, GX2, 4gb 1066mhz, Q6600, Vista Ult 64, FSX.Bob

Ok, that was premature. The alt-enter worked fr about 20 minutes of flight, and then it went to hell.Now then. Next step, try Direct X 10 preview. So far with that, so good, and with the Nvidia 181.20 or whatever drivers, the new ones, the taxiway and runway shimmering is gone. I am having a noticable FPS hit with it, but I'm not having terrible graphical issues that prevent flight. Still in climb-out on that one, but thought I'd update for fun and profit.-stefanEdit: I was able to complete a flight in DX10 mode. FPS hit was bad, but not showstopping, so it's something I'll have to live with. Only a few graphical glitches, none of which were overly distracting. I'm still hoping for a DX9 fix, but I don't think it's PMDG's fault, so I'll just deal with it. If anyone has any suggestions to get better performance out of DX10 mode, feel free to let me know. Basic specs now are E8400 @ 3.94 ghz, GTX 260, 4GB RAM.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Well, after sevseral flights from KJFK to KORD (both from FS Dream team), I finally managed to complete a flight with no OOM. I would always get the OOM around 4000 ft of so , close to the airport on approach. So I decided to turn off the KORD scenery to see what would happen. My system memory usage was 1.95 GHZ at crz and increased to 2.14 GHZ on landing, with no OOM. :( This all happened with ASX in heavy weather, lots of clouds (in HD) , heavy snow at times, about 75% AI with WOAI. So, just some food for thought. My scenery must have been pushing the memory usage just over what could be handled. Unfortunatly, I didn't see what the usage was at the OOM points, so I can't give you thoughs figures.Give this a try if you are getting OOM trying to land at a non-stock airport.System: XP32, E8600 OC to 4.1ghz, 4 gig of OCZ Ram , GTX280 OC2

I've been successful with DX-10 - BUT - there has been some minor decay of the textures just as I finished the flight.Of course, half the stuff installed supports DX-10 and the other half doesn't. So I'm pretty busy changing things around.Previously, I had the OOM issues. I upgraded to 4gb and Vista 64 with 2x2 DDR2 and the OOM issues went away and this texture problem started to occur.I believe they are related and the end failure depends on the hardware configuration.I haven't heard one comment from PMDG on this, but there's a growing group of users experiencing the same problem.I'm not sure if they're working on this, have never seen it, don't believe us, or chose to ignore the problem. But I'd like to know the developers take on this.For everyone who wants to chime in "i don't have that problem", thanks, but I get it. Not everyone has the problem.System specs 680i SLI, GX2, 4gb 1066mhz, Q6600, Vista Ult 64, FSX.Bob
PMDG is aware of the problem, and they were working with me via e-mail to get it fixed. Unfortunately, there's really not much they can do here. It appears to be a memory subsystem problem of some sort, and it's not really the fault of their plane. As for now, I just use DX10 mode for the PMDG planes and DX9 for the rest, as I get better visuals through DX9 because I can have higher sliders.-stefan

Hi all,In this thread I detailed exactly the same problems with the 747X as the above posters are having with the MD11:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=124033&hl=I thought it was due to the addons (UTX etc) that were loading the system up along with the demanding PMDG 747X which ultimately caused the textures to stop loading.However, as an experiment, a completely clean OS was installed (Vista 64) and a new FSX Acceleration was installed with no add ons other than the 747X.Unfortunately same problem again.Both hotfixes above were installed but the problem re-occured.Is anyone with Windows XP having these problems?Hope PMDG, or anyone else for that matter, finds a solution.Cheers,PeteVISTA 64 bit Home premium (SP1) Q6600 overclocked to 3.2 GHz (Stable) 8 Gig of Geil RAM PC 6400 0 MHZ 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9V XFX GeForce 512 MB 8800GTS (Factory overclocked version) (175.19 WHQL Drivers) ASUS p5K-E WiFi motherboard 27 inch Samsung monitor Zalman CNPS9700LED CPU Cooler 850 W Thermaltake power supply 2 x 500 GB Hard Drives 2 x 320 GB Hard Drives 2 x Samsung DVD Drives

As an additional thought:It seems to me to be a texture corruption problem.Is there some common piece of hardware or software in our systems that causes this?Is anyone with Windows XP having these problems?Cheers,Pete

As an additional thought:It seems to me to be a texture corruption problem.Is there some common piece of hardware or software in our systems that causes this?Is anyone with Windows XP having these problems?Cheers,Pete
I have had the 747x and MD11x since they first came out and never had this problem until last month when I decided to upgrade my system. I upgraded to a core I7 with 6GB Ram and GTX280 video card from a Q6600 with 4GB and 8800GTX. Fresh install of Vista 64 with the new system. I have always used Vista 64 as well. I decided to give XP64 a shot and all problems cleared up. From reading these threads, it seems that everyone with the issue has Vista (both 32 and 64 bit). I am dual booting, so still testing with the new set up to see if I can find something that could be causing it. It seems it could be something with memory management in Vista and Graphics. Vista does use shared system and grpahics memory. I have tried downgrading drivers, but the GTX280 cannot go below the 17x, and all drivers give me the problems. When I was on the old setup, I was using the WHQL 169 drivers with the 8800GTX. One other thing I noticed is the 280GTX goes into low-power 3D mode just before the corruption which drops the core and memory clocks, so I wonder if the lower memory clock cannot keep up with the fill rate for the texture loading. Of course this does not explain the problem with older cards as they don't downclock as far as I know.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant