Sign in to follow this  
tfm

MD-11 & 747X: OOM / black screen variant: POSSIBLE FIX

Hi all,Is anyone with Windows XP having these problems?Hope PMDG, or anyone else for that matter, finds a solution.Cheers,Pete
I had experienced this issue in VISTA 64 with the 747x Switched to XP-64 and no issues.680i MB, Qx6700@2.94, XP-64, 4gb ram, GTX8800 181.20 drvs, ASX, FEX, GEX, UTX, Genesis, CH yolk, CH rudders, 24

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Thanks Gary A and cshark172,Now we seem to be getting somewhere. This has taken a lot of time and frustration to get to the bottom of.How have you found the performance of FSX with the 747X and the MD11 with Win XP 64?I have 8 GB of RAm, will Win XP 64 see all of it?Thanks,Pete

Thanks Gary A and cshark172,Now we seem to be getting somewhere. This has taken a lot of time and frustration to get to the bottom of.How have you found the performance of FSX with the 747X and the MD11 with Win XP 64?I have 8 GB of RAm, will Win XP 64 see all of it?Thanks,Pete
Hi Pete, performance in XP-64 is improved over performance with XPP. I suspect this is due to the ability of the system to utilize more VM. XPP was probably encroaching on the memory limits even when it didn

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Hi Pete, performance in XP-64 is improved over performance with XPP. I suspect this is due to the ability of the system to utilize more VM. XPP was probably encroaching on the memory limits even when it didn

Hi all,Here is what I found:Conditions:Same hardware as signature below except Windows XP x64 SP1 instead of Vista SP1.FSX + AccelerationOnly Addons:PMDG 747x & MD11REXWith 181.22 Nvidia drivers installed:Noticed that time to switch between windowed and full screen is noticeably slower than Vista.Loaded saved flight.MD11 only (not 747x) - after about 5 or 6 switches between windowed and full screen the window/display went white but the sound continued.Absolutely no corruption of textures just a white screen instead of the black screen.Could not get display back no matter what I did.With 178.24 Nvidia drivers installed:Noticed that time to switch between windowed and full screen is noticeably slower than Vista.Loaded saved flight.Still had same problem with MD11 only (not 747x) - after about 5 or 6 switches between windowed and full screen the window/display went white but the sound continued.Absolutely no corruption of textures just a white screen instead of the black screen.Could not get display back no matter what I did.Then I shut down FSX, loaded the Cessna at Seattle and then loaded the presaved MD11 flight (LSZH-EDDF) on top of it.Flew entire flight without any problems at all.Did many switches between full and windowed modes and accessed the menus many times which would normally cause the problem.Also did the same flight in the 747x (after loading the Cessna) which always caused the same problems however this performed flawlessly as well.Also found that frame rates were higher in XP 64 rather than Vista 64.Overall performance was better and smoother.Hope this helps,Pete

Hi all,Here is what I found:Conditions:Same hardware as signature below except Windows XP x64 SP1 instead of Vista SP1.FSX + AccelerationOnly Addons:PMDG 747x & MD11REXWith 181.22 Nvidia drivers installed:Noticed that time to switch between windowed and full screen is noticeably slower than Vista.Loaded saved flight.MD11 only (not 747x) - after about 5 or 6 switches between windowed and full screen the window/display went white but the sound continued.Absolutely no corruption of textures just a white screen instead of the black screen.Could not get display back no matter what I did.With 178.24 Nvidia drivers installed:Noticed that time to switch between windowed and full screen is noticeably slower than Vista.Loaded saved flight.Still had same problem with MD11 only (not 747x) - after about 5 or 6 switches between windowed and full screen the window/display went white but the sound continued.Absolutely no corruption of textures just a white screen instead of the black screen.Could not get display back no matter what I did.Then I shut down FSX, loaded the Cessna at Seattle and then loaded the presaved MD11 flight (LSZH-EDDF) on top of it.Flew entire flight without any problems at all.Did many switches between full and windowed modes and accessed the menus many times which would normally cause the problem.Also did the same flight in the 747x (after loading the Cessna) which always caused the same problems however this performed flawlessly as well.Also found that frame rates were higher in XP 64 rather than Vista 64.Overall performance was better and smoother.Hope this helps,Pete
In case it's relevant: I tried installing the Windows 7 beta as an upgrade to my Vista 64 installation to see if it helped. It didn't. I still get a variant of the symptoms described by Pete (the FSX display goes black, not white; and sometimes I can "get back in" for a while, to let me shutdown the sim in an orderly way).Tim

Hi all,Here is what I found:Conditions:Hope this helps,Pete
Pete just so you should know I have my system tuned exactely as posted in all of these pages by NickN. http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Regards,
Gary Andersen

Pete just so you should know I have my system tuned exactely as posted in all of these pages by NickN. http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041
Thanks Gary,I had used Nicks old process but will try to methodically work through his updated process.In XP 64, do you find you get a significant hesitation when switching between windowed & full Screen modes or is it smooth and fast?I note you use the 181.20 drivers, but I had the white/black screen problems with these and the 178.24 drivers.I have since retested with the 178.24 drivers and had the white screen problem again - this was without loading the Cessna first.I then loaded the Cessna - KSEA stored flight and then loaded the presaved MD11 flight (LSZH-EDDF) on top of it.No problems at all.Again I did many switches between full and windowed modes and accessed the menus many times which would normally cause the problem - all OK.I don't know if it is a series of flukes but will keep testing.Pete

Hi Pete, I normally do not switch between window and full screen so can not comment. However I do switch to desktop and back to full screen with no discernable hesitation. When at the desktop I often have a hard time to get back into FSX often having to click on the taskbar icon several times, even having to use task manger to switch programs in worst case scenarios.I have just loaded the 181.22 drivers but have not flown with them yet.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

Thanks Gary,I had used Nicks old process but will try to methodically work through his updated process.In XP 64, do you find you get a significant hesitation when switching between windowed & full Screen modes or is it smooth and fast?I note you use the 181.20 drivers, but I had the white/black screen problems with these and the 178.24 drivers.I have since retested with the 178.24 drivers and had the white screen problem again - this was without loading the Cessna first.I then loaded the Cessna - KSEA stored flight and then loaded the presaved MD11 flight (LSZH-EDDF) on top of it.No problems at all.Again I did many switches between full and windowed modes and accessed the menus many times which would normally cause the problem - all OK.I don't know if it is a series of flukes but will keep testing.Pete
I had my first OOM today with B747X. The only change I have made to my system in the last couple of months is I finally installed FSX SP2. I am running Vista 32 and dual 8800GTS cards.I would be interested to know if anyone is having the OOM problem that is running SP1.Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

It looks like XP64 has cured the problem for me as well with the MD-11X and 747X. I have completed a 9 hour flight in the MD11 and a 8 hour in the 747 and have had no texture corruption problems or black screen after menu selection.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

It looks like XP64 has cured the problem for me as well with the MD-11X and 747X. I have completed a 9 hour flight in the MD11 and a 8 hour in the 747 and have had no texture corruption problems or black screen after menu selection.
I finally got XP 64, and installed it yesterday. I'm still installing everything else and hope to test it today sometime, as I decided I was sick of DX10 mode. I'll report results.-stefan