Sign in to follow this  
madtun

NO Shortcuts with MD11

Looks like I am going to be doing quick takeoffs and landings at KLGB (Long Beach) for awhile until I learn how to fly the MD11. There are NO Shortcuts to this plane. I have been Sim flying 6 years now and have mange to short cut all but two planes. A payware 757 which I crashed without reading most of the manual and this MD11. AVSIM has a review that is so accurate concerning this plane. I am a new pilot that overcompensated and crashed. I tried to fly it like a 747 or 767 and glide in ready to advance power if too low but was too late and crashed. Guess I will be spending my sparetime in PMDG MD11 Flight School!!!Carl P.

Chris Palmer, author of the Angle of Attack for PMDG 747 is working on an Angle of Attack production for the MD11. It will cover everything you need to know about flying this bird.

Chris Palmer, author of the Angle of Attack for PMDG 747 is working on an Angle of Attack production for the MD11. It will cover everything you need to know about flying this bird.
The PMDG manuals are fine. This is really one true bird I will not mind learning the long way. I just tried to short cut the tutorial with no luck. I will have the manuals next to the keyboard as I learn how to fly this one the old fashion way. I am just enjoying the start up phase and taxing without flying. I have not experience this since the Project Tupolev 154B plane was released. Took three weeks of intense study before I took one short flight in that plane. Carl P

The PMDG manuals are fine. This is really one true bird I will not mind learning the long way. I just tried to short cut the tutorial with no luck. I will have the manuals next to the keyboard as I learn how to fly this one the old fashion way. I am just enjoying the start up phase and taxing without flying. I have not experience this since the Project Tupolev 154B plane was released. Took three weeks of intense study before I took one short flight in that plane. Carl P
Carl, your going to find that this MD11 is so fully automated that it is very easy to fly. If you learned the Tupolev, this will be a walk in the park. You'll be turning the automation off just to have something to do :(

Looks like I am going to be doing quick takeoffs and landings at KLGB (Long Beach) for awhile until I learn how to fly the MD11. There are NO Shortcuts to this plane.
What the heck do you mean by shortcuts? Are you talking about hand-flying? WTH?? :(If you mean all the systems, then mostly just reading the tutorial should get you going. I've only read a little bit beyond the tutorial and I've done two really good flights. I don't know much about it yet, the FMS is very different, but I can't say I've been too lost. I'm finding it easier than the 744 so far, and that's odd, even to me since I know Boeings better (LDS767, DF737-400, PMDG 737NG).

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Looks like I am going to be doing quick takeoffs and landings at KLGB (Long Beach) for awhile until I learn how to fly the MD11. There are NO Shortcuts to this plane. I have been Sim flying 6 years now and have mange to short cut all but two planes. A payware 757 which I crashed without reading most of the manual and this MD11. AVSIM has a review that is so accurate concerning this plane. I am a new pilot that overcompensated and crashed. I tried to fly it like a 747 or 767 and glide in ready to advance power if too low but was too late and crashed. Guess I will be spending my sparetime in PMDG MD11 Flight School!!!Carl P.
Indeed. It's great, isn't it? :(

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

What the heck do you mean by shortcuts? Are you talking about hand-flying? WTH?? :(Yes, hand flying. I always learn how to hand fly first with a new plane. It helps when learning abnormal procedures when you may not have a computer. What if the computer goes out your first flight? Will you cry and crash or, like myself turn the computer off and finish the flight by hand? I have been simming for six years so I take my flights serious as if a had real cargo or passengers I am not trying to damge or kill in the back. I have a engineering degree so I sure know how computers and technology can let you down if you depend on it too much. I have come across this sitution once in a freeware plane when I first started flying. Something was wrong in the cfg and panel file but it was not a problem because I just disengaged the autopilot and flew the rest of the flight by hand. No problem. Is it not the way they do it in real life?Carl P

Oh, well I've only hand-flown my approaches and they were fine, but yes, nothing wrong with brushing up on manual techniques. I'd rather learn the systems first just because I'm not really carrying Pax or cargo. ;-)

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired