Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

One Last OC Question for Nick or Jeff

Hey Nick and Jeff. First off thanks for all the help in the past in these threads.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235860&hl=http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=207183&hl=I posted those links as a refresher for the help you gave me before. The last question I have is that since I have completed my OC, run the tests and everything seems stable, every now and then when I restart the computer it shuts down normally, but then sometimes hangs after it shuts down. The keyboard lights come on but the screen stays black and I hear the fans running in the case. I have to puch the power button for about 6 seconds for it to power off before I can power up. Now this doesn't always happen, just once in a while. Sometimes when it reboots it says in the opening screen that the OC failed and I have to go into BIOS and change a cpu voltage then save changes and exit. Then all is fine.I am running the CPU at 1.40 and the NB at 1.51 or 1.52, however I have had the core voltage as low as 1.375 and the NB at 1.49 and still passed the OCC and prime test. So I guess the question is, what causes this and how can I fix it. I have a feeling it has to do with voltages but not sure. Below is the current settings. I'm on an E8400 and an Asus Maximus Formula.Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual CPU Ratio Control : 8.5 FSB Frequency : 450FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333PCI-E Frequency: 100 DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1081 DRAM Command Rate : 2T DRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 5 RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5 RAS# Precharge : 5 RAS# ActivateTime : 15 RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto Write Recovery Time : Auto Read to Precharge Time : Auto Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto DRAM Static Read Control: DisabledAi Clock Twister : Auto Transaction Booster : Auto CPU Voltage : 1.40 CPU PLL Voltage : AutoNorth Bridge Voltage : 1.51/1.52 DRAM Voltage : 2.1 FSB Termination Voltage : Auto South Bridge Voltage : Auto Loadline Calibration : Enabled CPU GTL Reference : Auto North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt Voltiminder LED : Auto CPU Spread Spectrum : DisabledPCIE Spread Spectrum : DisabledBTW, I don't usually reboot the machine a lot but sometimes after windows updates or changing something in msconfig I have to restart and then I get the occasional hung reboot.Thanks in advance.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N
Hey Nick and Jeff. First off thanks for all the help in the past in these threads.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235860&hl=http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=207183&hl=I posted those links as a refresher for the help you gave me before. The last question I have is that since I have completed my OC, run the tests and everything seems stable, every now and then when I restart the computer it shuts down normally, but then sometimes hangs after it shuts down. The keyboard lights come on but the screen stays black and I hear the fans running in the case. I have to puch the power button for about 6 seconds for it to power off before I can power up. Now this doesn't always happen, just once in a while. Sometimes when it reboots it says in the opening screen that the OC failed and I have to go into BIOS and change a cpu voltage then save changes and exit. Then all is fine.I am running the CPU at 1.40 and the NB at 1.51 or 1.52, however I have had the core voltage as low as 1.375 and the NB at 1.49 and still passed the OCC and prime test. So I guess the question is, what causes this and how can I fix it. I have a feeling it has to do with voltages but not sure. Below is the current settings. I'm on an E8400 and an Asus Maximus Formula.Extreme Tweaker Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual CPU Ratio Control : 8.5 FSB Frequency : 450FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333PCI-E Frequency: 100 DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1081 DRAM Command Rate : 2T DRAM Timing Control: Manual CAS# Latency : 5 RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5 RAS# Precharge : 5 RAS# ActivateTime : 15 RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto Write Recovery Time : Auto Read to Precharge Time : Auto Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto DRAM Static Read Control: DisabledAi Clock Twister : Auto Transaction Booster : Auto CPU Voltage : 1.40 CPU PLL Voltage : AutoNorth Bridge Voltage : 1.51/1.52 DRAM Voltage : 2.1 FSB Termination Voltage : Auto South Bridge Voltage : Auto Loadline Calibration : Enabled CPU GTL Reference : Auto North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto NB LED Selection : NB Volt SB LED Selection : SB Volt CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt Voltiminder LED : Auto CPU Spread Spectrum : DisabledPCIE Spread Spectrum : DisabledBTW, I don't usually reboot the machine a lot but sometimes after windows updates or changing something in msconfig I have to restart and then I get the occasional hung reboot.Thanks in advance.Sean
Sean.. the bootup fail is a common issue with Asus boards and related to high clocking. I see it from time to time as well on one of my boards, but not all of themIts been around with Asus boards both AMD and Intel versions for some years now. When you see the OC Failed error you simply enter the BIOS and hit F10, save and exit and then it boots up fine when it happensShutdown hangs can be for several reasons.. usually a ACPI power management driver such as video can cause it... I have also seen SATA drivers cause a hang on shutdown.

Sean.. the bootup fail is a common issue with Asus boards and related to high clocking. I see it from time to time as well on one of my boards, but not all of themIts been around with Asus boards both AMD and Intel versions for some years now. When you see the OC Failed error you simply enter the BIOS and hit F10, save and exit and then it boots up fine when it happensShutdown hangs can be for several reasons.. usually a ACPI power management driver such as video can cause it... I have also seen SATA drivers cause a hang on shutdown.
Great thanks for letting me know. I'm glad its nothing serious. Thanks again for all the help with getting my OC set up.Regards.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator