Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike_2011

ATS OFF warning but on?

Guest Mike_2011

OK so I actually it is on but I get the warning?

Rest assured the ATS is OFF. Yoa are accustomed to seeing the ATS on the left, but it is on the right this time, because you are in a "speed on pitch" mode. That means the pitch is controlling speed, and the thrust is controlling path. Always read the FMA.

Guest Mike_2011

How do I get then the normal ATS and not pitch also I need help on the 250 kts bellow 10k feet it wont let me change it on the FMS

That is the "normal" mode for the climb. Use a fixed power setting, and adjust pitch to maintain the speed you desire. I'm not as familiar with the MD11 systems as I'd like to be, so I'm sure somebody will make some corrections, but here's the general idea.The only way to have speed on thrust is in vertical speed mode or altitude hold mode. I think there may be another mode available, depending on if you push or pull the speed selector, but I'm not sure.The MD11 easily has the most complex FMA I've seen, because it has so few truly unique mode annunciations. Whereas a Boeing will display ALT HOLD, VNAV PTH or VNAV ALT, and an Airbus will display ALT CRZ or ALT, the MD11 will display HOLD XXxxx in pink or white. Thus it's absolutely critical that you have a firm understanding of what the FMA is telling you.In your example, a Boeing would display EPR and VNAV SPD as the thrust and pitch modes respectively. You will also note that FL370 is below your FMC cruise altitude, since it is displayed in white.Clear as mud?Paul

Guest Mike_2011
That is the "normal" mode for the climb. Use a fixed power setting, and adjust pitch to maintain the speed you desire. I'm not as familiar with the MD11 systems as I'd like to be, so I'm sure somebody will make some corrections, but here's the general idea.The only way to have speed on thrust is in vertical speed mode or altitude hold mode. I think there may be another mode available, depending on if you push or pull the speed selector, but I'm not sure.The MD11 easily has the most complex FMA I've seen, because it has so few truly unique mode annunciations. Whereas a Boeing will display ALT HOLD, VNAV PTH or VNAV ALT, and an Airbus will display ALT CRZ or ALT, the MD11 will display HOLD XXxxx in pink or white. Thus it's absolutely critical that you have a firm understanding of what the FMA is telling you.In your example, a Boeing would display EPR and VNAV SPD as the thrust and pitch modes respectively. You will also note that FL370 is below your FMC cruise altitude, since it is displayed in white.Clear as mud?Paul
OK thanks

The only way to have speed on thrust is in vertical speed mode or altitude hold mode. I think there may be another mode available, depending on if you push or pull the speed selector, but I'm not sure.
Another such mode is GS of course.

OK so I actually it is on but I get the warning?
Michael,It is OFF and it is also not available (you can tell that from the amber color of the ATS OFF box), which means that it will not engage if you press AUTOFLIGHT. From what I see on the EAD this is because the alternate FADEC mode is engaged, most probably because you (accidentally?) pushed the overboost bar on the throttles. To make ATS available again you have to reset the overboost bar (click on it) then from the overhead panel (close to the ignition switches) open the guarded FADEC switches and disengage the ALTN mode, then press AUTOFLIGHT. Note that ATS will disengage and become unavailable in FADEC ALTN only for the PW engines (if I remember this correctly).

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg