Sign in to follow this  
nukemc

Next SP request for FS9 MD-11: Fluttering Spoilers

First I gotta say OUTSTANDING JOB! I purchased the combo pack when it first hit the streets and I am NOT disappointed (well worth the wait). It's quite a feat you guys accomplished within the limited confines of FS9. The VC FPS are terrific. I just did EDDF->EGLL and everything worked perfectly including the DUAL LAND feature I had to use since EGLL was socked in with 0 viz. However, (there's always a "however," insn't there) Is there a way you can replicate the feature of the fluttering spoilers on the FS9 version of the MD-11 like on the FS9 747? That's such a cool effect and I'm sad to see it wasn't carried into the FS9 version. I would put that on the top of my list for items in the next SP.Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there and hope there's a way you can make it work. Once again, AWESOME work and thank you for bringing it to us.-Regards,Greg

Yeh, fluttering. Have you the FS9 747? When spoilers are deployed in flight or rolling on the runway take a gander. They flutter, to sim the effects of dynamic air pressure acting on the spoiler surface. Along with the wing flex it REALLY gives a cool effect. Not sure why PMDG didn't carry that over to the FS9 version 'cause it's in the FSX one. Hopefully, they'll put in an update. That along with window reflection would be super groovy.-Greg

hmmm never heard of this before, spoilers are hydraulically actuated they shouldn't be moving about like that. Anyway on Landing I'm on the flightdeck so haven't had a chance to check.Rob

Rob Prest

First I gotta say OUTSTANDING JOB! I purchased the combo pack when it first hit the streets and I am NOT disappointed (well worth the wait). It's quite a feat you guys accomplished within the limited confines of FS9. The VC FPS are terrific. I just did EDDF->EGLL and everything worked perfectly including the DUAL LAND feature I had to use since EGLL was socked in with 0 viz. However, (there's always a "however," insn't there) Is there a way you can replicate the feature of the fluttering spoilers on the FS9 version of the MD-11 like on the FS9 747? That's such a cool effect and I'm sad to see it wasn't carried into the FS9 version. I would put that on the top of my list for items in the next SP.Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there and hope there's a way you can make it work. Once again, AWESOME work and thank you for bringing it to us.-Regards,Greg
hello, spoilers do not flutter, i think you are holding down the slash button/ whereas all you need to do is press it once and the spoilers remain in an upright position. press again an they go down. richard welsh.

hello, spoilers do not flutter, i think you are holding down the slash button/ whereas all you need to do is press it once and the spoilers remain in an upright position. press again an they go down. richard welsh.
Rich,First off, I don't want to bust your chops 'cause you're just trying to help me and I honestly appreciate it. I'm sure you're a hail fellow well met so don't take the following the wrong way, because I mean no offense:I'm not "holding down" any key. I use the mouse in VC mode to apply the right amount of spoiler to achieve policy decent speeds. (Spoilers are also progressive with variable input on the spoiler lever in the VC mode or from an assigned axis on an input device (controller)), but you probably know that. I may be a designate "newbie" in the forum but I've been simmin' since my Commodore 64 days (20+ years). The point I'm making is the FS9 747-400 PMDG product has "fluttering" or whatever you want to call it, spoilers when the plane is in flight or making any significant headway. Next time you're flying the 747 with spoilers deployed, swith to external view and look, they flutter, oscillate, cycle, move back-n-forth, flap, vibrate in a very low frequency but high amplitude, etc. The FSX MD-11 does it too. I'm not nuts or saying there's a problem with my product.As for how spoilers behave in reality, I don't care. It looks cool on the FS9 747 and the FSX version of the MD-11 and would like to see it in the FS9. Spoilers are hydaulically operated? Really? I thought little gremlins that sat in the wing were shocked by a circuit in the 400Hz electrical distribution system and pushed them into the airstream. Hmm. SorryRob, couldn't let that one go.-Greg

So lets get this right... you want PMDG to simulate a fault in your hardware callibration or whatever for the rest of us? cos you think it looks cool? I knew I shouldn't have replied to the original post due to the fact that it sounded so stupid, but thought I would state what is a obvious fact to most of us in case some new guy's thought there MD11/744 was broken.Anyway back to reading and learning from more serious threads....Rob

Rob Prest

So lets get this right... you want PMDG to simulate a fault in your hardware callibration or whatever for the rest of us? cos you think it looks cool? I knew I shouldn't have replied to the original post due to the fact that it sounded so stupid, but thought I would state what is a obvious fact to most of us in case some new guy's thought there MD11/744 was broken.Anyway back to reading and learning from more serious threads....Rob
Woah...Rob. Didn't have to get personal my friend but I guess you had to go there. The only way the we can get the straight and skinny on this is if a PMDG dev answers. Sorry I'm too dumb (stupid was the word you settled with) to hang with a cool and edumicated cat such as yourself, Rob. Good luck searching for those cerebrally satisfying threads. I apologize for upsetting your sensabilities. I hope you can get on with the rest of your day without too much dificulty.-Greg

'I hope you can get on with the rest of your day without too much dificulty'quite easily, thanks for the concern...

Rob Prest

Guest cfgarrod

I think he means 'buffeting' rather than 'fluttering'...Chris G

Woah...Rob. Didn't have to get personal my friend but I guess you had to go there. The only way the we can get the straight and skinny on this is if a PMDG dev answers. Sorry I'm too dumb (stupid was the word you settled with) to hang with a cool and edumicated cat such as yourself, Rob. Good luck searching for those cerebrally satisfying threads. I apologize for upsetting your sensabilities. I hope you can get on with the rest of your day without too much dificulty.-Greg
Greg,Take it easy. Vibrating spoilers in not such an important issue to raise personal hostility and spoil you day, and this goes for Rob also. The PMDG intention was not to model any kind of spoilers vibration. It might be cool, but it is not real. These hydraulic actuators do keep them up tight. However, during the development of the MD-11 we had one beta tester that reported (actually complained) that he was seeing vibration, and he also mentioned that this was happening in the 747X. Since no-one else in the beta team has seen that we didn't pay much attention. I am still puzzled why this would happen, but since I can't reproduce it, it is hard to fix it. Besides, fixing it for FSX, would make you unhappy, so I guess we will leave it this way :(

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Sincere apologies Michael, like I said I will avoid threads like these in the future .Rob

Rob Prest

Mike,Thanks for the answer. Rob, I guess you were right. I was ignorant, but now I know, and knowing is half the battle. No hard feelings Rob. 19 years active duty Navy has made me a bit crass, if I managed to tick you off, I sincerely apologize...really. Mike, please don't fix a thing.Yall have a good day.-Greg

Greg,Take it easy. Vibrating spoilers in not such an important issue to raise personal hostility and spoil you day, and this goes for Rob also. The PMDG intention was not to model any kind of spoilers vibration. It might be cool, but it is not real. These hydraulic actuators do keep them up tight. However, during the development of the MD-11 we had one beta tester that reported (actually complained) that he was seeing vibration, and he also mentioned that this was happening in the 747X. Since no-one else in the beta team has seen that we didn't pay much attention. I am still puzzled why this would happen, but since I can't reproduce it, it is hard to fix it. Besides, fixing it for FSX, would make you unhappy, so I guess we will leave it this way :(
Hi Michael,I see the spoilers shimmy on the 747x normally. Both in the FS9 version, and the FSX version. It happens in flight, and upon landing. I thought PMDG built it in, as it looks pretty cool. I didn't know it wasn't supposed to happen. Strange... John

No hard feelings Greg, enjoy a great product :)Rob

Rob Prest