Sign in to follow this  
cko123

Help: nonexistent texture directory

Fellow simmers,Need your help to resolve this error message:"Scenery read error. Attempting to open a nonexistent directory: c:\program files(x86)\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator\texture. Click OK to continue"After click ok, opening screen showed then followed by the "fatal error occur" message.FS was running perfectly before this message appears.Need your help badly, thank you in advance.~ Dan, KDTW

Guest Nick_N
Fellow simmers,Need your help to resolve this error message:"Scenery read error. Attempting to open a nonexistent directory: c:\program files(x86)\microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator\texture. Click OK to continue"After click ok, opening screen showed then followed by the "fatal error occur" message.FS was running perfectly before this message appears.Need your help badly, thank you in advance.~ Dan, KDTW
DanThis is just a guess... but did you by any chance install the Enhanced Autogen Texture replacement package and in the course of following the directions about backing up the originals, instead of copy/paste to backup the Flight Simulator X\texture folder, did you CUT/Paste?If you did, that would explain why the folder is missingBrowse to C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator\ and see if the Texture folder is there.. if it is not and you have not recently done anything or moved FSX then I do not know how that folder has come up missingWhat is strange is the error message... I thought the install folder was Flight Simulator X, not Microsoft Flight Simulator Is this for FSX?

DanThis is just a guess... but did you by any chance install the Enhanced Autogen Texture replacement package and in the course of following the directions about backing up the originals, instead of copy/paste to backup the Flight Simulator X\texture folder, did you CUT/Paste?If you did, that would explain why the folder is missingBrowse to C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator\ and see if the Texture folder is there.. if it is not and you have not recently done anything or moved FSX then I do not know how that folder has come up missingWhat is strange is the error message... I thought the install folder was Flight Simulator X, not Microsoft Flight Simulator Is this for FSX?
Nick,Thank you for the reply.I copied the error message word by word, in my computer the install folder is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.I checked and there is no texture folder under Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I did not do anything recently. Question is, if this texture folder is missing, how can I recover it without re-install the FSX?~ Dan, KDTW

Guest Nick_N
Nick,Thank you for the reply.I copied the error message word by word, in my computer the install folder is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.I checked and there is no texture folder under Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I did not do anything recently. Question is, if this texture folder is missing, how can I recover it without re-install the FSX?~ Dan, KDTW
Yes Dan the main FSX texture folder containing about 250MB of textures (could be more with addons) is missing and how it was removed or deleted, I do not know

Do a search of your drive(s) for 'texture' and see what shows up. You may have inadvertently clicked and dragged it to another location without noticing. Can't imagine how though, as 250MBs would take a minute.

Guest JimBrown
Do a search of your drive(s) for 'texture' and see what shows up. You may have inadvertently clicked and dragged it to another location without noticing. Can't imagine how though, as 250MBs would take a minute.
Excellent suggestion.If the inadvertent drag and drop occurred on the same drive, the change would be near instant. When a folder is dragged and dropped within Windows Explorer, a "move" is done. When a move is done, only the pointers to the folder (or file) are changed. The file data within the folder is not moved.I know well this problem, having dealt with it many times back when I did level 1 end user support. In person. (Level 3 support is nicer that way, I only deal with other techs. But, I get the "hard" problems. :-) )Regards,...jim

Rather than search for "Texture", of which there are many folders with that name in FSX , I would suggest that yousearch for a filethat should be inside the main FSX texture folder.One such file is "BLDX2.dds" or "LightGravelRoof_Specular.dds" just to mention a couple.If your search finds the file then look at the path to the folder containing it.That is where your "Texture" folder is now located in the case of an inadvertent'drag & drop'. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

This happened to me and I had to re-install FSX 3 times until I thought of something to fix it..Vista users I guess only..This happened only when I installed a livery to an aircraft and I started FSX and I got that error msg..and yes textures folder was missing no idea how..so I opened Flight sim x folder properties and on previous versions tab I got like 5 versions or you can say backups or snapshotsi opened one before my last install and found the texture folder, I copied it to FSX main folder and FSX is running perfectly again...this should help, unless Vista hasn't been saving previous versions.. (soft of fodler/file restore, like the system restore for windows)

Guest Sam_Aardema
so I opened Flight sim x folder properties and on previous versions tab I got like 5 versions or you can say backups or snapshotsi opened one before my last install and found the texture folder, I copied it to FSX main folder and FSX is running perfectly again...
Thanks for the tip buddy!I had the exact same problem (livery installation which somehow managed to delete my texture folder) and I also fixed it by copying the "texture" folder from the backup into my FSX folder.I've reinstalled FSX twice already for numerous reasons, I guess now I don't have to anymore.I actually completely forgot about that Windows feature. I'll keep it in mind next time!

Guest boe

hi, I have the same problem, but where do you find the backup texture folder. Can't find it in my main fsx folder.Please help me :)

hi, I have the same problem, but where do you find the backup texture folder. Can't find it in my main fsx folder.Please help me :)
That apparently only applies to Vista users. Re-read the preceeding posts to conform that.If not running Vista, you may be able to restore the missing texture folder by using the "Repair" option on your FSX install CD.

Guest Supersam13

Hi all, i have the same problem , i donwloaded a plane from PDMG, installed it and when i tryed to play it chrashed!I looked for the files that could be in th textures folder but i didn't find them. i can restore fsx but i want to now if i lose al my other planes then?can somebody please help me, or upload the texture folder somewhere so i can play again?My laptop is running on windows 7Sam

Guest anthony31fs

SamThe texture folder is important to the running of FSX. Mine is about 236MB in size so not so easy to upload.I find it extraordinary though that a PMDG would delete your texture folder. That really shouldn't happen. Which plane did you download and where did you get it from?