Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

Beta Build 355...so far...

...so good. Weather is generated when I start FSX from ASA, for the first time.Don't know about the memory issue, but I'm going to take a flight right now to check it out.One thing I have noticed is the low frames rates experienced from spot view, but rates return to 'normal' when in the VC. Thought that was somewhat interesting.Thanks to all for all your hard work on this. Hopefully my flight goes without a hitch :(

a lot better,Took the flight that was giving me oom, I did not get a oom. the winds aloft were not jumping around and the sim was very stable.thank you very much;Bob

Positive results so far with the beta build with regards to the popping weather change. I have a particular short flight I use to test on a specific historical date because the weather goes from overcast to broken to scattered during this flight. I've tried it twice now and both times, the weather change was more gradual and realistic as opposed to before. I tested it using Global mode both times. Don't know if using non-global mode will effect the results since i don't understand the difference between the two. The one weird thing I noticed though was in the flight screen window, the weather no longer says user defined, but rather the default Fair weather. Was a little worried the first time, but it did depict the ASA weather.Back to testing......

Whelp, no memory issues either...good news.My only complaint was it seems my frame rates were less than normal. But...perhaps I need to do a bit of tweaking.Other than that, everything seems to be working great in comparison to before. Thanks again.

I noticed the frame rate issue as well when using global mode. Not any drastic loss of frame rates, but I did notice I lost a couple. When I switched to non-global mode for some testing, my frame rates went back to normal though so I wonder if global mode puts more load on the sim.

I noticed the frame rate issue as well when using global mode. Not any drastic loss of frame rates, but I did notice I lost a couple. When I switched to non-global mode for some testing, my frame rates went back to normal though so I wonder if global mode puts more load on the sim.
Yep, thanks for the hint. That seemed to help my frame rates as well.

My first flight with the Beta 355:PMDG Boeing 747-400 X.Amsterdam Schiphol to Anchorage Stevens Int. (EHAM-PANC); 3886 NM; blocktime: 8h51m. Departure: 12h33 (11h34 GMT)Arrival: 11h22 (20h23 GMT).Route: via north-atlantic, northern greenland (above 80 latitude), northern canada; beaufort sea; alaska; route compiled with FSC and entered in the FMC of the 747.Windows XP SP3; FSX SP1/SP2;Used add-ons: PMDG 747-400X; ASA Beta Build 355 (Local Mode; virtual stations/enhanced coverage on); FS Passengers X; VoxATC FSX; Ultimate Traffic X; Ultimate Terrain X USA, Canada, Europe; Ground Environment X USA/Canada.Rig: Dual Core AMD Athlon 64x2 @ 3,3 GHz; 4GB DDR2 @ 800; 8800GTS 640 MB (@1600x1200 resolution); 3GB switch in use.Started at Schiphol with good depiction of actual weather; once well above Northern Atlantic: winds disappeared (0,0,0); temp seemed correct on -53 C or so;shortly there after: suddenly no weather depiction anymore; all clear; no clouds , no haze. nothing. Lasted for 2 min or so; then winds, haze and clouds, etc. returned: good depiction; this happened every 15 min or so (btw: automatic refresh rate set on 15 min: coincidence?). When passing 75+ latitude winds winds stopped completely and didn't return until passing 75 latitude again to the south. Couldn't check clouds because of polar night; temp stayed at a plausible -50 to -60. Above 75+ latitudes, when weather depiction was lacking: plane started making S-turns (kind of zigzagging its course). This disappeared when returning to lower latitudes again. Hard to say what caused it. Never noticed it with ASX though.Over Alaska I saw the sun rising again with good weather depiction. Approaching Anchorage there were bad conditions (mist, snow); I noticed the mist appearing rather suddenly (think of FSX weather depiction to get the idea); smoothing over the easterly mountain rig near Anchorage bit disappointing. My impression was that I lost some FPS when using the Beta 355 as compared to ASA and certainly compared to ASX.Depiction of haze/mist over Anchorage was of moderate quality: reminded me of FS native weather depiction.Most important conclusion: first time I could finish a long haul flight completely with ASA: no more OOM's! Facit: ASA is now usable on long-haul flights, but for the time being I'll stick to ASX ! (easier on the FPS, more reliable and steady and thats' what I need when flying the PMDG747, by far my favorite plane).Awaiting further perfectioning of ASA with great interest.Jan(near EHGG)

Guest Buzz313th

Thanks for the Beta Patch...I'm running FSX w accellJust installed it and things seem ok...Just one problem still showing up.Station temps are correct between ASA and FSX when at station elevation. Climbing to roughly 5k to 6k and OAT climbs roughly 20 degrees F. After above 5k-6k temp starts dropping roughly 1-2 degrees F per thousand feet. I mentioned this before in another post with the original version of ASA. Technically temps should drop the standard adiabatic lapse rate unless ASA is trying to simulate an inversion layer. JB

HiI installed the beta patch, but i still notice the abrupt weather changes. Clouds dissapear suddendly and i get a clear sky, or the other way around. No smooth transitions. Am i doing something wrong? Maybe something in FSUIPC or in ASA configurations?Best regards.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

One thing I have noticed is the low frames rates experienced from spot view, but rates return to 'normal' when in the VC. Thought that was somewhat interesting.
Did you have frame rate locked or unlocked at the time?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Did you have frame rate locked or unlocked at the time?
Ive been running unlimited lately Rhett, but did think about locking it around 35 today.For whatever reason though, ASA does seem to be more of a frame rate 'hog' than ASX. I reduced some settings, like cloud layers to 4, from 5, where I run ASX, and some others, but I believe this may be just 'the way it is gonna be' for ASA. I am still contemplating using ASX more often, until I get a more powerful computer, but I'll see....the weather generated is quite an improvement over ASX in some instances.

HiI installed the beta patch, but i still notice the abrupt weather changes. Clouds dissapear suddendly and i get a clear sky, or the other way around. No smooth transitions. Am i doing something wrong? Maybe something in FSUIPC or in ASA configurations?Best regards.
Same here... was flying EGLL-OMDB and as beautiful as the clouds were, I experienced quite a few cloud "pops". Regards,Jure

the weather generated is quite an improvement over ASX in some instances.
Which usually equates to more clouds too, especially if DWC mode is on, more clouds equals more work for the system to handle, hence marginally slower performance depending on the hardware in use.

Cheers, Andy.

Ive been running unlimited lately Rhett, but did think about locking it around 35 today.For whatever reason though, ASA does seem to be more of a frame rate 'hog' than ASX. I reduced some settings, like cloud layers to 4, from 5, where I run ASX, and some others, but I believe this may be just 'the way it is gonna be' for ASA. I am still contemplating using ASX more often, until I get a more powerful computer, but I'll see....the weather generated is quite an improvement over ASX in some instances.
Brian one thing I found on my system (E8500, 8800GTX) is that when I run unlimited frame rate, the spot view is a little jumpy. Whereas when I go back to the VC, it is very smooth. I do not have any explanation for this other than the fact that FSX allocates the cpu differently when unlimited vs. locked and this must have something to do with it. It is the same no matter if I am running the Twin Comanche or the MD-11 or any aircraft. For that reason I usually lock at 30.It is interesting to see that you have seen the same behavior on your computer.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB