Sign in to follow this  
beefix

FS2 Crew for the PMDG MD 11 (FS9 version)

I have been toying with the idea of buying FS2Crew for the FS9 MD11. However, I've never used this type of programme before and I was wondering if any of you FS2 Crew 'experts' out there have got any useful comments about it RgdsSteve H

I have been toying with the idea of buying FS2Crew for the FS9 MD11. However, I've never used this type of programme before and I was wondering if any of you FS2 Crew 'experts' out there have got any useful comments about it RgdsSteve H
I purchased fs2crew for PMDG FS9 the other day but although I own the version for LevelD too, I am not really proficient in it's use yet! But basically what you do is to using two buttons or keys for advancing through the different stages - that is advancing say from "before start" to "after start" checklist and also during the stages replying to the FO reading the checklist he reads up. You can do that without having the FS2crew panel open, but at some points you have to bring it up, eg to ask the crew to close the doors, perform hydraulics test, annoucing that you are in cruise or perhaps ask for food. It works very fluently but you have to take care that you don't press the buttons too quickly, otherwise you advance too far and you get lost.I might try making a movie later tonight (if my 2 year daughter and 1 year son allows me - not to forget the wifey) and put it on youtube. No release date though - it's finished when it's finished.... hmm. where have I heard that before? :)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Krister, that would be great as I have never seen FS2Crew in action. Looking forward to the video if you get time.Matt

GuysThere are a couple of videos of FS2Crew MD-11 version on Youtube already, and plenty more on other versions.This one is from the author, representing the takeoff and climbout:

NOTE that the ATC chatter is not part of FS2Crew, it's just added in for ambience.I may be a little biased, but I say once you get past the learning curve and come to appreciate that these kinds of planes would NEVER be flown single pilot, there is no coming back from the FS2Crew concept :( rgds,-kyle

GuysThere are a couple of videos of FS2Crew MD-11 version on Youtube already, and plenty more on other versions.This one is from the author, representing the takeoff and climbout:
NOTE that the ATC chatter is not part of FS2Crew, it's just added in for ambience.I may be a little biased, but I say once you get past the learning curve and come to appreciate that these kinds of planes would NEVER be flown single pilot, there is no coming back from the FS2Crew concept :( rgds,-kyle
Indeed there are a number of videos already available at Youtube so don't stay up waiting for mine! :) I might try to do one anyway since I noticed that on Vatsim EGLL has three ground, two tower, one delivery, and two app online right now. Should provide some interesting ambience feeling!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi, I'm no expert with it but find it interesting to use sometimes when the route allows. Choice of airports, destinations and flight levels are a bit restrictive (Bet I get Bryan saying 'you can alter that' lol as I said I'm no expert.)I find but all in all adds a good ambiance to the sim. Main thing I found is to map 2 keyboard keys to it and use them as joystick often causes a double entry...John Ellison

as joystick often causes a double entry...John Ellison
You bet! I was lined up at Heathrow ready to go off 27R when I hit the joystick button for the green button to engage autoflight and instead got a reject take off... Not very nice for the movie I was making... lol

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi, I'm no expert with it but find it interesting to use sometimes when the route allows. Choice of airports, destinations and flight levels are a bit restrictive (Bet I get Bryan saying 'you can alter that' lol as I said I'm no expert.)I find but all in all adds a good ambiance to the sim. Main thing I found is to map 2 keyboard keys to it and use them as joystick often causes a double entry...John Ellison
You can alter that :( Actually there's basically no restrictions at all more or less. FS2Crew is pretty open ended-that way. It's not like a 'mission' were you're forced to fly canned routes.The only time time you may run into issues is if you try to do something bizarre, like flying to SFO to Tokyo with a cruise alt of a 500 feet. That would confuse the poor FS2Crew FO.Cheers,
You bet! I was lined up at Heathrow ready to go off 27R when I hit the joystick button for the green button to engage autoflight and instead got a reject take off... Not very nice for the movie I was making... lol
Your joystick wrongly sent two signals instead of just one with the button press. Bad joystick :( That said, that's one reason I generally recommend people use the keyboard over the joystick to avoid situations like that.The other reason in favor of using the keyboard over the joystick is that if you wiggle your joystick when pressing a button, that can sometimes trigger an autopilot disconnect.Cheers,