Sign in to follow this  
hangar

Need Confirmation about KLGA Problem

Dunno if it's just me or not but my rwy13 localizer at KLGA seems to be misaligned...can anyone confirm this? (it starts out aligned with the right side taxi way 5 miles out then ends aligned with the grass strip in between the taxiway and runway.)If its just me i must have a corrupt file somewhere, any ideas?Dave

Dunno if it's just me or not but my rwy13 localizer at KLGA seems to be misaligned...can anyone confirm this? (it starts out aligned with the right side taxi way 5 miles out then ends aligned with the grass strip in between the taxiway and runway.)If its just me i must have a corrupt file somewhere, any ideas?Dave
It's not just you.

Art

I believe KLGA has an offset localizer IRL due to obstructions in the area. The localizer is supposed to guide the pilot to decision height at which point the pilot should be able to pilot the aircraft to touchdown.

I believe KLGA has an offset localizer IRL due to obstructions in the area. The localizer is supposed to guide the pilot to decision height at which point the pilot should be able to pilot the aircraft to touchdown.
actually john i noticed it guides you CLOSER to the obstruction (a bridge) instead of keeping you clear of it...if you try it youll see what i mean...and if it was meant to be an offset approach it should still at some point bring you across the centerline somewhere but it never does...its far enough off that you could never safely land in minimum imc conditions because by the time youd reach 200ft and break out it would be too late for the correction this ils is giving you. I opened the bgl and noticed that both runway end localizers are offset...but IRL rwy13 would not have an official ILS (not a vor/localizer) this far off at minimums as its just too dangerous i believe.I also checked the approach plate and see that it appears to be straight in, not an offset approach so i still dont get it.Im sort of surprised i dont see any threads about it anywhere, nor any fix for it by now.

Guest RonB49
actually john i noticed it guides you CLOSER to the obstruction (a bridge) instead of keeping you clear of it...if you try it youll see what i mean...and if it was meant to be an offset approach it should still at some point bring you across the centerline somewhere but it never does...its far enough off that you could never safely land in minimum imc conditions because by the time youd reach 200ft and break out it would be too late for the correction this ils is giving you. I opened the bgl and noticed that both runway end localizers are offset...but IRL rwy13 would not have an official ILS (not a vor/localizer) this far off at minimums as its just too dangerous i believe.I also checked the approach plate and see that it appears to be straight in, not an offset approach so i still dont get it.Im sort of surprised i dont see any threads about it anywhere, nor any fix for it by now.
My approach plate, admittedly old, says that it is offset three degrees and crosses the runway centerline 2745' from the threshold. R-

My approach plate, admittedly old, says that it is offset three degrees and crosses the runway centerline 2745' from the threshold. R-
Thanks Ron for the older plate information but as i said, it never leads you across the centerline at all for rwy13 ILS. Just as a sidenote here, i tested rwy 31 localizer only (not an ILS) and that IS supposed to be slightly offset (which it is) and it seems to work fine...it WILL lead you across the centerline if you follow the plate approach...so i guess rwy31 approach is ok...but the 13 ILS is pooched i believe...if it IS supposed to be offset then MS offset it improperly I'll tell ya that much :-)At this point if there's ever a fix it might as well be made as a straight in ILS becuase thats what the more recent chart says. I wouldnt mind it being left as an offset approach as long as it worked properly, or at all for that matter...its useless the way it is right now though.PS...i also checked an old plate from Feb.2002 and its also calling for straight-in ILS13@134